Discussion Forum

Deck Challenge - first attempt at a score-sheet

OK, I've had my barbarians for over 8 years now and they're getting boring. Sure I tweak them every year or so, but it's just not enough. My challenge is this: build either a Barbarian Tribal or Theme deck. All responses will be graded as follows (any advice on how to improve the score sheet will be accepted as "extra credit").

+1 point for each Barbarian creature
+1 point for each red card
+1 point for each card over 60 (with a maximum of +10)
+1 point for each way to make Barbarians easier to play (cost less, put into play, etc)
+1 point for each member that gives the deck a thumb up on this list:
- hipponox
- LordStrongpaw
- rileyandholly88
- dknight27
- chambermaggit
- visno
- deathsaur
- Chillygyro
- DedWards
- oldguy
- AEthercraft
- ANON
- Me
- anyone that posts a deck for the challenge
+2 points for each type of destruction/removal (creature, artifact, land, or enchantment)
(you only get credit for each instance once, not points for each individual card or method)
+5 points if the deck is playable
+10 points for each combo that fits within the theme
+20 points if you can find a way to get rid of enchantments that only involves the color red.
-1 point for each card over 75
-1 point for each color after the first (unless you have a wicked combo)
-1 point for each thumbs down you get, but only ones that are well explained. (I know people abuse the rating, so I wouldn't take points off for all the douchebags out there.)
Posted 12 January 2010 at 23:17

Some questions

- do changeling creatures count as barbarians for the purposes of your scoresheet?

- "+10 points for each combo that fits within the theme" the theme is just destruction and barbarians, yes?
Posted 12 January 2010 at 23:58

[QUOTE=LordStrongpaw]Some questions

- do changeling creatures count as barbarians for the purposes of your scoresheet?

- "+10 points for each combo that fits within the theme" the theme is just destruction and barbarians, yes?[/QUOTE]

Any creature that has the creature type Barbarian. Yes, Changeling counts, as would any card that can make a creature a Barbarian permanently (including giving a creature Changeling, copying a Barbarian if there's another in the deck, etc).

Yes, the theme is Barbarism in any form. Killing, pillaging, and wanton destruction. Of course, a tribal deck does not necessarily need to have a theme beyond including creatures that share a creature type...
Posted 13 January 2010 at 00:03

I'm not happy with it (Mainly because I'm very bad at red decks) but here you go...

Barbarians
Posted 13 January 2010 at 00:32

[QUOTE=LordStrongpaw]I'm not happy with it (Mainly because I'm very bad at red decks) but here you go...

Barbarians[/QUOTE]

I don't care what you say. I think it's good. All it would need is some tweaking (such as Smash or Shattering Spree instead of Meltdown).
Posted 13 January 2010 at 00:56

By all means tweak away and let me know what the finished product is (I highly doubt it would look familiar). Also not caring what I say is very rude >_> <_<
Posted 13 January 2010 at 00:59

lol

This really isn't to rebuild my Barb-ies, it's to craft an objective way to say a deck wins a challenge. I picked the theme because it's something I'm familiar with. Sorta selfish, though, because I'm always looking for ways to make my favorite deck better.
Posted 13 January 2010 at 01:18

Sorry Roughneck, I couldn't help it. I saw the potential for another infinite combo using barbarians, so I had to put it in my deck ;(. Sometimes I just can't stop myself.

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=40172

There's my entry.
Posted 13 January 2010 at 05:19

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=40164

Here is my entry for the challenge; the description is within the link. This turned out to be a lot of fun to build!
Posted 13 January 2010 at 15:44

The scores as of right now:
LordStrongpaw - 107 points (he used a LOT of barbarians)
mrgoodbytes - 84 points (lots of artifacts brought your score down)
scumbling1 - 106 pts (enchantment destruction is worth a lot)

That being said, I'm thinking of amending the rules a bit. Tribal decks would get a point for each barbarian, and theme decks would get a point for each red card. Tribal decks scoring double points makes it a bit unfair, and you guys would all be almost tied. What do you think?
Posted 13 January 2010 at 21:37

I like the scoring as it is, because this is a barbarian deck challenge; It wouldn't make sense to potentialy have mono red control decks scoring as high as tribal decks.

Just my two cents.

Oh, I was meaning to ask: are we allowed to edit our decklists and have them re-scored? I think I want to edit my list, but I don't want you to change my score for the competition.
Posted 14 January 2010 at 03:03

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=40290

there we go - not as many barbarians as the other decks but attack phases are going to be a helluvalot of fun.
land/enchantment/artifact destroy spells as well.
i never ever use red but this competition looked like fun.
Posted 14 January 2010 at 03:53

[QUOTE=scumbling1]I like the scoring as it is, because this is a barbarian deck challenge; It wouldn't make sense to potentialy have mono red control decks scoring as high as tribal decks.

Just my two cents.

Oh, I was meaning to ask: are we allowed to edit our decklists and have them re-scored? I think I want to edit my list, but I don't want you to change my score for the competition.[/QUOTE]

Makes sense. I just wanted to see what cool theme everyone could come up with.

Feel free. For anyone who hasn't posted a deck yet, just let me know what changes you make in the summary or comments so I can score it as it was when you entered it. Getting advice after you post a deck is kinda like cheating on a test.
Posted 14 January 2010 at 05:17

Here's my attempt:
http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=40324

It'll probably be bad, but oh well, I tried (not realy, I did this in less than 30min at work)
Posted 14 January 2010 at 12:32

Here is my example of a barbarian deck.
I'm not taking part in the competition just want to give an example.

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=40220
Posted 14 January 2010 at 15:30

i found your comment on my deck and decided to hand in a submission. Its hastily made but i think the idea is there. tell me what you think. it was really fun to make. thanks for letting me know! : )

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=40348
Posted 14 January 2010 at 20:35

This is my submission for the score sheet. Probably better decks out there, and it's plenty big, and I never found a way to get rid of enchantments without going something like green/red, which I didn't do here, thinking that would move away from the barbarian theme.

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=40555
Posted 17 January 2010 at 21:25