Discussion Forum

Thraximundar EDH

I'm looking for feedback on this deck - it's missing one card, but it's coming out in the new set.

http://www.mtgvault.com/sirkalma/decks/thraximundars-throne/

Thanks much!
Posted 12 December 2013 at 23:16

I'm not really sure why Red is even in the deck. With how small a role it plays in there you'd be better off just cutting it and going with a Dimir commander.

Anyway, with how it is currently:

Kiki-Jiki appears to be there for the conscripts combo (which is going to draw you unnecessary hate) but you have so few red in the deck that the 3 red in his casting cost is going to be difficult to pull off.

Diabolic Tutor costs too much. With the other tutors in there I would just replace it with something more useful since you've got plenty of better options already.

I haven't seen plain counterspell played in a non-counterspell.dec in a while. There's just so many better options for EDH. I would replace it with a 2 for 1 counterspell like Desertion or just cut it for something that's better at control in multiplayer. A few counters are good but they're card disadvantage in multiplayer and control is done better through other means.

Shattering Spree is fairly bad in here. You're light on red so having to pay R for every copy is going to be tough. Vandalblast is quite a bit better IMO. The potential to play the Spree around some counterspells is a potential upside but you have enough counters that it shouldn't be necessary and the ease of casting Vandalblast and hitting everything you don't control is just superior.

I would probably cut Jace. I know it's THE Jace but honestly he's not that great in EDH.

If you're running Tezzeret, I would run the on color artifact lands. He certainly has plenty of 3+ costed options to find but he does amazingly good at -0 to ramp out lands which gives you more long term advantage than casting him and going to 1 to get a monolith and then not being able to use his search again for 3+ turns by which point he's likely been removed.

You have no instant speed removal. This could be a problem.
Posted 13 December 2013 at 06:16