Discussion Forum

Meletis Charlatan question

Can Meletis Charlatan copy cards that are in encode? I ask because I was thinking about making a combo deck involving Hidden Strings, Zhur-Taa Druid, Zhur-Taa Ancient, and Meletis Charlatan. I figure if Meletis Charlatan can copy encoded cards that would make this a standard instant death combo.
Posted 14 December 2013 at 01:52

If I am interpreting the phrasing correctly, cipher states that it must be a spell CARD in order for an encoding to take place. As such, a copy created by an effect such as that of Meletis Charlatan would not be able to encode on anything.

EDIT: unless you mean can Meletis Charlatan copy a spell cast when an encoded creature deals damage... in that case, I believe it would work: [QUOTE]111.1a A copy of a spell is also a spell, even if it has no card associated with it. See rule 706.10.[/QUOTE]
Posted 16 December 2013 at 05:35

I get what you're going for but I don't think that will go infinite...

Yes, you can copy hidden strings off a cypher proc. However, it has to be on the stack for you to copy it and one copy of hidden strings is only going to untap the Meletis Charlatan and a land or the Druid which is not self-sustaining. If you let the original strings resolve, you will have nothing to copy. You would need Illusionist's Bracers on the Meletis to go infinite that way.

You could also do it with Nykthos instead of the Ancient but you're running a three color deck at that point so having a high enough devotion to blue to enable it (it would have to tap for 6 mana as it takes 3 for the copy and 2 for nykthos and you'd need a leftover to go infinite and be able to untap other things) early enough to matter is unlikely.

You can, of course, just modify the current mono blue devotion deck to combo off with a large mind grind, biomass mutation, Mistcutter Hydra, or anything even another spell that will just end the game copied infinitely.
Posted 16 December 2013 at 06:24

What about if i had anothe creature that has the same ability. Could I copy it and while using that copied ability to to untap two things at the same time copying the one on the stack with the other creature with the same ability. Then I just keep doing that. Can I do that? Sounds like I could. There are a lot of standard cards that mimic.
Posted 17 December 2013 at 00:05

You can use whatever abilities you want but two meletis charlatans would cost 6 mana so adding a second one would end up requiring two more copies of hidden strings, not just one. You have to have a land that nets you 4 mana to be able to untap him and have one left over in the repeat or the equipment that copies the activated ability.

Your other option in standard is Strionic Resonator copying the on damage copy trigger. You would still need a land that taps for 3+ though. This way is a bit worse though since it requires you to connect in combat while you could just hard cast the spell and begin the combo that way with the charlatan.
Posted 17 December 2013 at 05:43

Why do you need two hidden strings? Can't you just copy that one over and over? That was the point of my question. In other words can you copy the spell again while you're using the second meletis charlatans like ability? Or just copy the copy of the original spell.
Zhur-Taa Ancient adds a mana for every land you tap. You just have to make sure you have a way of untapping the lands too. Which I do. I'm not really playing much right now but I got on looked at the cards and that was the most obvious combo I saw coming out of the new set.
I was talking about when the encode coded card was being cast. Both of you have helped me out. I'll get around to making the deck in a few days.
Posted 25 December 2013 at 09:44