Discussion Forum

Hexproof from instant and existing enchantment

I have a question regarding hexproof. My friend and I were playing last night and he cast Runner's Bane on one of my creatures, it resolved. Now, I was wondering if I had cast Mizzium Skin on the same creature, would the hexproof cause the enchantment to 'fall off'? Neither of us were sure what to do in this situation.
Posted 21 December 2013 at 13:04

use card tags!!! I don't know these cards you talk about.

If an enchantment controlled by an opponent is on one of your creatures and your creature gains hexproof the enchantment DOESN'T fall of. The reason is that hexproof prevents an opponent from targetting the creature but an enchantment that is already on the battlefield doesn't target anything, it just is where it is. The only time an echantment targets is when you cast it and when it's on the stack.

I looked up Runner's Bane and even if your creature became a 6/6 then it still would not fall of because the "Enchant creature with power 3 or less" is the requirement when targetting (so when either casting or when it resolves from the stack).

The only way you can make Runner's Bane fizzle is allowing your opponent to cast it, and then when it's on the stack waiting to resolve cast something that gives your creature hexproof. Then when Runner's Bane tries to resolve its target has become illegal and it will fizzle.
Posted 23 December 2013 at 08:59