Discussion Forum

Need insight on mono-green power deck

Hey all,

I've been working on a mono-green power deck lately, and came up with this. I've been doing a lot of testing, and this deck's been doing very well! I just wanted to know if there was any way I could improve on this.

Link to deck: http://www.mtgvault.com/cagt3000/decks/forest-awakening/

Thanks in advance :)
Posted 21 December 2013 at 15:45

looks pretty weak to me for the following reasons:

- lots of land (24)
- lots of mana dorks (16 if I counter right)

basically you have 40 land in a 60 card deck, which means you have 66% chance of drawing useless cards when what you want is a useful creature. What you're doing is betting everything on your opening hand, you're hoping to have 1 big creature in your hand, play it real fast and win. The problem with that strategy occurs when your opponent prevents you from doing that either by countering your key spells or removing your big spells/creatures (wrath of god or even spot removal will be very efficient against your deck).
What your playing is a combo deck with no way to defend its combo, not even through redundance which is the simplest form of protection against control.

A pretty basic control deck will play something like

4-8 Spot removal (for instance Terror and Go for the Throat)
2-4 Sweepers (for instance damnation)
some counterspells (counterspell, cancel)

really basic but it would be a nightmare for your deck to play through. And it really gets nasty when they pack some Control Magic as well to steel those big creatures of yours.
Posted 23 December 2013 at 09:22

I will agree that there's a lot of lands and mana dorks for this kind of deck, and that I need to work on that (it happens often actually).

About the control deck though: yes it's true that it can completely obliterate my deck, but the kind of control deck that you described works against any deck, not just mine. It's made to counter anything, not just combo decks. So I don't really think it's something I should worry about when making decks.

What would be a good amount of lands/mana dorks for this kind of deck? I'm always having difficulty balancing out mana sources.

Thanks for the help!
Posted 23 December 2013 at 17:39

Actually that's not true, control decks like that, prey on greedy decks and players that overextend. They themselves have a lot of dead draws if the game drags on and their big weakness is usually aggressive decks with the ability to gain card advantage. Goblins for instance is a good example where the combination of Goblin Matron fetches Goblin Ringleader and Goblin Ringleader draws 3 to 4 new goblins totally destroys so many control decks. Even if the control deck survives the agressive early game it just can't cope with the cardadvantage gained by goblins in a long game. I know this because I've always been that control player and goblins has always beaten me at tournaments.

How does that translate to your deck, easy, draw cards.

some examples of green cardadvantage:

- Greater Good + any obscene green big guy (perfect in your deck)

- Fecundity and token strategies like for instance Avenger of Zendikar or Myr Battlesphere. They sweep the board you gain the advantage.

Aside from these green has tons of good card draw. Cards like Garruk, Primal Hunter, Momentous Fall, Soul's Majesty, Garruk's Packleader, Harmonize, Hunter's Insight, Pelakka Wurm, Regal Force

even odd cards like Foster can be great in the right deck. Or playing a single copy of a card like Creeping Renaissance can win you games.

magic = draw cards = win
Posted 24 December 2013 at 08:10