Discussion Forum

Need insight on B/W lifelink deck

Hello guys,

It's me, once again :) I know I made 2 threads in a few minutes, but I thought it'd be better if I put them in their own threads.

Along with my mono-green deck, I've been working on a B/W deck, and really wanted to make something with lifelink. So, I gave everyone lifelink :D

Link to deck: http://www.mtgvault.com/cagt3000/decks/take-your-life-away/

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Link was dead for some reason. It's fixed now :)
Posted 21 December 2013 at 16:08

Dint find anything in your deck
Posted 19 February 2014 at 14:29

Oh, sorry about that! Link is fixed now.
Posted 19 February 2014 at 20:15

26 lands in a deck that draws a maximum of 1 card each turn :) Have you even playtested this?

your claim:

Turn 1: Everyone has 20 lives
Turn 5: You have 50 lives, and the opponent has 1

my claim and much closer to what will happen 9 out of 10 games:

Turn 1: Everyone has 20 lives
Turn 5: you don't have any creatures, draw nothing but land and die

PS: silence is a pretty useless spell unless you're a combo deck
Posted 20 February 2014 at 08:42

Alright, so maybe I exaggerated my claim a bit :)

But to answer your question: yes I have playtested this deck, and it works pretty well.

I'd put creatures as they come out, attack to get life. I'll pop in Brave the Elements to protect myself, drop in a Silence to delay the opponent (which lets me put in more stuff), and then once my big guys come in (Archangel of Thune, Vizkopa Guildmage), that's when shit goes down.

There were times where I wouldn't get any creatures, but it's more 2 out of 10 games than 9 out of 10 games.

This was one of my first decks though, so it may not be the best I can do. But it's a nice start :)
Posted 20 February 2014 at 22:42

The problem starts with opponents that run very heavy removal based decks, a strategy where they just shoot down everything significant you play so you are forced to use the rest to chump block gaining them card advantage. If they play sweepers (wrath of god effects) the card advantage they gain will get even worse.
A card like silence is a tempo card, you gain like you said tempo (the ability to play more faster) at the cost of a card gaining you a card disadvantage. This is fine for very fast decks that overwhelm an opponent very fast but slow land heavy decks are not tempo decks. They need to be able to handle a long game and when you run low on cards and your opponent doesn't that's where most serious magic games are won or lost. Its the turning point in each game.
Posted 21 February 2014 at 08:16

I am at a loss to what I should do about pulling 15 cards for side board. This deck plays quite well, rarely loses, quite the extortionist, but could be a little lighter. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated(on this or any of my decks).
http://www.mtgvault.com/djsith/decks/life-drain/:manaw::manab:
Posted 05 March 2014 at 05:53

sideboards are something people play at tournaments, they are meta based and personal. You first need to experience the meta to be able to get a feel for what sideboard cards you need to optimize your deck. Correct sideboarding is one of the most difficult things about tournament play.

Don't make a sideboard for a casual deck. Just don't worry about it. You're already at 75 cards, you can fit everything you need in the mainboard.
Posted 05 March 2014 at 07:57