Discussion Forum

Vela EDH Draft

I'm trying to put together a Commander deck to play with friends. I'm not the worlds greatest deck builder, so I was hoping some more experienced players could provide advice/feedback.

http://www.mtgvault.com/lycentia/decks/velaedh-draft-advice-welcome/

Some cards on my maybe board:
Erebos, God of the Dead
Gilded Lotus
Sol Ring
Whip of Erebos
Posted 23 December 2013 at 09:10

Not everyone will agree with me on this but If I were to build this deck with multiplayer in mind I would:

- play 40 land

- try to play at least 1 land each turn to keep up with green decks and you do this by drawing a lot of cards so that you always have a land you can play combined with other means like land accelleration that is available to you like Solemn Simulacrum and Clone creatures that can copy simular mana accelerators your opponents played.

- weigh every card in terms of card advantage or card disadvantage

for example: counterspells like Psychic Strike will be ok in 1 vs 1 play but in multiplayer they put you behind. What happens is that some guy plays a broken spell, you counter it setting you back 1 card while everyone else is reaping the benefits from your counterspell and they just got a card ahead each.

Lets say you are playing with 4 players in total. Each player is holding 1 problematic card (lats say they are all holding an Avenger of Zendikar except for you, you are holding your counterspell). Player A plays Avenger of Zendikar, You counter it. Now player A has 0 cards, you have 0 cards and player C and D both have 1 card meaning you are 2 cards behind just by playing that counterspell and you helped player C and D win the game. If they each play their Avenger of Zendikar you and player A are going to lose fast because that's a serious clock there.
Now lets say one of those players is holding a very unfair card like Maelstrom Wanderer that isn't very sensitive to being countered, your counterspell just became even worse.

now lets look at some alternatives. While Psychic Strike doesn't do all that much, it's at best a 1 for 1 and possibly worse in multiplayer, a card like Decree of Pain or Twisted Justice also takes care of a problem just like a counterspell does but both are conciderably better in multiplayer. Both gain you card advantage and solve your problem.

If you want to be able to counter really broken green cards (and most really broken multiplayer cards are green) concider playing Deathgrip

- Card versitility is also something to concider. In this area your choices are ok but still not great. Evil Twin is a good example of a good allround card, it is good in many situations and can double as removal even now with the changed legendary rule. But not every card is that good if at first it may look good. Lets take Lord of the Void for instance. Nice body, evasion, can be cardadvantage. However he doen't have an immediate effect on the game state, only when he does combat damage he becomes worth his high mana cost and even then it's no guarantee. So he's pretty bad. Another card that is very simular that you play is Silent-Blade Oni, this one is much better because Ninjutsu gives him a direct way to gain card advantage so you are pretty sure when you play him you gain the desired effect.
Posted 24 December 2013 at 11:55

I shall take all under advisement :)
Posted 26 December 2013 at 02:06