Discussion Forum

pit fight

I was testing the big booty ho deck out with my girl to a best of 3. We came upon a situation where she had a Gladecover Scout out with Forced Adaptation and Ordeal of Nylea. On the 4th turn she casted pit fight before combat phase. So she asked me if pit fight triggered Ordeal of Nylea. I wasn't sure. We ended up saying that it did trigger Ordeal of Nylea. So my question is does pit fight trigger Ordeal of Nylea? Also does pit fight cause the creafure to tap? In our games we didnt tap the creature. I just want to clear this up.
Posted 29 December 2013 at 11:52

Why would it? Your creature is not attacking. It also does not tap the creatures.

It does exactly what it says on the card and nothing more. (Each deals damage equal to its power to the other.)
Posted 30 December 2013 at 05:42

There is one thing I will say to you that is probably the easiest way to make sure you have the right idea on any card text or ruling that could come for it. The cards you will play will always do exactly as the card text says nothing more or less. The only exception to a base rule of magic is if a card text specifically says so and all cards will time to do as the card text says or the base rules of magic in case of no specific card text. I hope this was helpful.
Posted 30 December 2013 at 17:16

I figured they weren't tapping. As for the other thing it did use the word fight and order to fight you have to attack. I am I right?
Posted 31 December 2013 at 05:40

They are two entirely different keywords within the scope of the game.

While "fighting" and "attacking" may be similar in reality, they are not related in any way within the confines of the game.

An attacking creature is a creature that was declared as an attacker in the combat step.
Posted 31 December 2013 at 05:48

From the Comprehensive Rules:
701.10. Fight
701.10a A spell or ability may instruct a creature to fight another creature or it may instruct two creatures to fight each other. Each of those creatures deals damage equal to its power to the other creature.
701.10b If a creature instructed to fight is no longer on the battlefield or is no longer a creature, no damage is dealt. If a creature is an illegal target for a resolving spell or ability that instructs it to fight, no damage is dealt.
701.10c If a creature fights itself, it deals damage equal to its power to itself twice.
701.10d The damage dealt when a creature fights isn’t combat damage.
Posted 31 December 2013 at 07:56

You mean I can attack myself?! I had a standard deck that worked around that idea. I would block with my own creatures the deck was beast. But I was told I couldn't do that.
Posted 01 January 2014 at 11:24

He listed the rules for Fight. Not for attacking. You cannot attack yourself.
Posted 02 January 2014 at 07:34

Your telling a creature can fight it's self but cannot attack it's self. That dont make any sense. Either they need to make, it, so you can fight the same creature with it's, self or that you can have creatures attack themselves or you. After they are you creatures you control them so why wouldn't a ceeature be able to attack its master should its master bid that.
I know you want to show me the ruling so show me the ruling wheremit says you can't attack your self.
Posted 03 January 2014 at 16:41

Why do you make stuff so complicated all the time? Magic is a strategy game, the rules are just tools to be used so one player can win the game which is the purpose of most games. Who cares thet they make sense? Thats not their main purpose. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you want a fantasy world to interact wih that makes sense to you try out dungeons and dragons, it's one of those few games where the rules are very flexible and it's not about winning.
Posted 04 January 2014 at 10:38

Half the shit you just said doesn't make sense so I'm moving on.
I'm making it complicated? I'm being told a creature can fight it's self, yet it cannot attack its self. And you got the nerve to tell me I'll making things complicated. Whoa that's all I can say is whoa.
Posted 05 January 2014 at 15:17

Yes, you are making it complicated.

Fight is a card mechanic. It is an ability word that is short hand for what the ability actually does which is shown in reminder text.

Attacking is part of your turn order.

Similarities in what you imagine happens when "fighting" or "attacking" are irrelevant as they are not even remotely similar within the game.

If you can't get around that they are different, just do what the rules actually do and replace the word "fight" with "each creature deals damage equal to its power to the other".
Posted 06 January 2014 at 07:14

If I were to teach you the game of chess you would probably agrue that Towers can't move. It's true it doesn't make sense but it does not have to, it's just a set of rules, defenitions and names and as long as they add up to a well functioning game then they succeed in what they were written for. You don't have to play the game but if you do chose to play it just abide by the rules like every one else. In the case of chess it's the beauty of this game, almost everyone worldwide knows how to play. I've played against a russian guy once on vacation and we didn't say a word, we just played the game, each understanding the rules and at the end it was perfectly clear who won and who had lost. That's why rules are important.
Posted 06 January 2014 at 16:35

I was trying to make a point clearing that just way over you guys. Sorry I brought it up. Take a chill pill bros.
Posted 07 January 2014 at 12:29