Discussion Forum

New to edh deck help welcomed

Recently gotten back into mtg and finally decided to take a dive into edh. My favorite creature type has always been angels and my favorite color is white. What would you add/take out?

Commander
Linvala, keeper of silence.

Creatures
Iona, shield of emeria
Reya dawnbringer
Akroma, angel of wrath
Avacyn, angel of hope
Platinum angel
Admonition angel
Deathless angel
Adarkar Valkyrie
Sunblast angel
Twilight shepherd
Baneslayer angel
Archangel of thune
Sublime angel
Emeria angel
Angel of jubilation
Stonehewer giant
Academy rector
Mangara of corondor
Burnished hart
Gold myr
Knight of the white orchid
Puresteel paladin
Stoneforge mystic
Grand abolisher
Serra ascendant
Weathered wayfarer

Artifacts
Gilded lotus
Gauntlet of power
Belbes portal
Minds eye
Thran dynamo
Quicksilver amulet
Darksteel plate
Crucible of worlds
Sword of feast and famine
Sword of light and shadow
Sword of fire and ice
Sword of body and mind
Sword of war and peace
Urza's incubator
Lightning greaves
Swift foot boots
Scroll rack
Umezawas jitte
Senseis divining top
Skullclamp
Sol ring
Mana crypt
Lotus petal

Sorcerys
Catastrophe
Akromas vengeance
Hallowed burial
Day of judgement
Wrath of god
Armageddon
Breath of life
Idyllic tutor
Steel shapers gift

Instants
Return to dust
Swords to plow shares
Enlightened tutor
Path to exile
Condemn
Silence

Enchantments
Oblivion ring
Arrest
Ghostly prison
Journey to nowhere
Land tax

Lands
Boseiju, who shelters all
Emeria, sky ruin
Cavern of souls
Strip mine
Ancient den
Math of ith
Terramorphic expanse
Evolving wilds
X26 plains
Posted 20 January 2014 at 02:24

mono white is not a very good multiplayer color, only green and black can hold their own when played as mono colored decks in multiplayer and even those struggle against multicolored decks. The only way white is good is to play it as an aggro deck in 1 vs 1 matches.

The biggest drawback is the very limited amount of cards that allow you to draw extra cards. You have Mind's Eye that's good but you should try to find more cards like it. Well of Lost Dreams is a very easy one to abuse in white and can be tutored with Enlightened tutor. There is Slate of Ancestry and Skullclamp both can be abused using tokens and you have a lot of white token generators. Overall your options are limited though

Your land count is a problem too, because you don't draw extra cards more often then not you'll need a lot of land. I would play no less then 40.
Posted 20 January 2014 at 11:35

Oh ok, well I made this really for 1v1 as of right now. What colors do you suggest for multiplayer? I recently bought the mind seize deck, is that worth adding/dropping cards for multiplayer purposes? Well I feel like it's an aggro deck. So what would you drop in my deck to add? I was thinking of dropping Serra ascendant because do the cheap mechanic. Also probably the lotus petal because I don't really need it. Would you suggest maybe a howling mine too? I knew drawing cards is key in the format so I added in scroll rack and sensei divining top. Thank you for the input it's really appreciated.
Posted 20 January 2014 at 12:28

drawing cards is key in every format :)

- well if you play it aggro 1 on 1 I would say build it on a very low mana curve, pure fast aggro starting with good aggressive one drops and so on, typically what white weenie is known for. Also play heavy disruptive effects that punish more complex decks like restore balance, armageddon etc... Armageddon like effects seem key to winning versus decks that are slower and rely on the high life count to build up their resources.

- never play howling mine, there's only one thing worse then not drawing cards when you're playing magic and that allowing your opponent to draw cards for free.

- White is a good secondary color so any color you add is fine except maybe for black and red. Red because it has the same major weakness that white has which is a lack of card draw and black because black and white are very simular in many ways. I concider them overlapping colors.
Green is the easiest to add and is the most powerful color, it offers mana acceleration, color fix, tutor effects, tons of card draw options, graveyard abuse, the best creatures etc... What green lacks is the power to reset the board and white has plenty of that. On top of that you have some really nice gold GW cards like Mirari's Wake, Eladamri's Call, Glare of Subdual, Wheel of Sun and Moon, Aura Shards, .

Blue is nice too, you lack the raw power green offers but you get tons of card draw, you get contermagic which is good in 1 vs 1, you get control magic effects... UW is pretty solid.

Adding colors in EDH is easy, there are so many land options available that fixing colors is just a walk in the park.

PS: there are special rules for EDH 1 on 1. check them out at http://duelcommander.com/. The ban list is different. Sol Ring for instance is banned.
Posted 20 January 2014 at 13:56