Discussion Forum

Ruling help!!!!!

OK I have an issue.. I have been trying to find a more detailed ruling for Scourage of Valkas and Dragonstorm combo. Since I am unsure on exact details I have been letting it play as such:

Dstorm for 2. Valkas comes out no dragons but him=1 dmg. then my 1st storm kicks giving me 2 total dragons =2dmg and then the final will make it 3 dmg.

Am I right on my way of thinking how this works or does it work a different way?
Would all the dragons I storm come out in one shot then valkas triggers for each one???

Thanks for any help yall!!!

http://cardgametalk.blogspot.com/
Posted 26 January 2014 at 21:37

I think you are correct, consider storm copies the spell for your storm count, and each copy is independent on the stack. Each instance of the spell resolves separately and the dragons are put onto the field one at a time.

Source: http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Storm
Posted 27 January 2014 at 01:13

see im just not sure how it all works out. all these years playing magic and a simple combo peace like this has me all confused lol. i just want to make sure im using the cards right so my friends can't complain when i destroy them lol.
Posted 27 January 2014 at 04:12

Valkas enters, etb triggers, deals 1 damage.
Two dragonstorms still on the stack.
Next dragonstorm resolves, second dragon enters
Valkas triggers, deals 2 more damage.
Last dragonstorm resolves, third dragon enters
Valkas triggers, deals 3 more damage.
6 damage total, if they all enter separately, which the ruling on storm implies.
I hope that fully settles the confusion. :)
Posted 27 January 2014 at 04:20

Just a minor correction on this. The Storm copies will actually resolve before the physical copy of the card. It's not super relevent to this situation since there aren't targets but still worth noting.

Dragon #2 should be Utvara Hellkite and #3 should be Karrthus... For the lols. Once you attack with your hasty dragons, you'd get three 6/6 dragon tokens all at once which would trigger the Scourge three times and each deal 6 damage for an additional 18.
Posted 27 January 2014 at 06:59

Ah right, because the storm copies are placed on the stack after the original. Thanks :)

And that's just mean... I believe it is time for me to make a dragonstorm deck now.
Posted 27 January 2014 at 07:24

thanks guys. glade yall helped me see clear it up.

hahaha y do u think i asked about it?? i use that as part of my Karrthus EDH deck combo. only i dump out valkas, utvara and broodmate if i can. no one likes playin me with it. lol.:D
Posted 28 January 2014 at 02:02