Discussion Forum

lowering x mana cost?

I am thinking about taking the happy birthday deck to a fnm. I was testing this deck while back. While I was playing and tweaking it to be stronger I got an idea. I want to know if ome could use Council of the Absolute to lower the cost of Sphinx's Revelation from two Xs to one? Becuase I was taught x cost by its self is 0 so if you lower it below that it drops off fro the cost. At least that is my thinking about it. This info will affect how i build the deck should I want to take it to a fnm.

edit: sorry about the stuff about two Xs. I was thinking about a different card. But still the same holds true. How would this work if I lower x cost? I was playing by just lower the x cost by 2. So if I had paid 3 mana for x I would draw 5 cards. I would think this would be too good to be true. So get back to me on this.
Posted 28 January 2014 at 10:01

Sphinx's Revelation only has 1 X in it's mana cost. The cost of X can be reduced by spells like Council of the Absolute.

Casting Sphinx's Revelation for :mana2::manaw::manau::manau: would cost you :manaw::manau::manau: if the cost is reduced by :mana2:. You can never reduce a cost below 0.

Casting cost on the stack of X is what you set it to when you payed for the spell. Casting cost for X anywhere but on the stack is 0. That's how it works.
Posted 28 January 2014 at 10:12

So how does it work in terms of drawing cards? If the x cost is reduced by two does that mean I got to draw two more cards?

add on: while I'm asking question. I need ask one more. It is about the up coming god cards. To me they are okay but not great. Then I check the asking prices and see them going for 20 bucks a pop. In any of the upcoming god cards it saids you need 7 devotion to two colors in order for it to become a creature. With doesn't male these gods that bad ass. Or do I have this wrong?
Posted 28 January 2014 at 12:06

Cost reductions just reduce the costs by up to whatever amount they reduce it. Having multiple X values doesn't really matter as the total cost is still only reduced by however much reduction you have. You define x when you put the spell on the stack. You can define X as 2 when you put it on the stack and then only pay WUU or you can define it as 4 when you put it on the stack and pay 2WUU. It's basically just giving you two free mana for your X spell but you do not have to apply it all since X can be any value.

As far as the Gods go, they will be easier to activate than the normal Gods even though they need 7 vs 5. The new Gods are all two colors so they add 2 to their own devotion needs. This makes them actually need 5 devotion from other sources vs the other Gods needing 4 from other sources. However, they can use devotion to either color which is easier to accumulate in general.

The prices of the Gods are all speculative. All of the Theros Gods started at 15+ as well. Some went up, most went down. The prices will shift considerably after the first major tournament the weekend after release once people see how certain cards actually perform at a high level.
Posted 28 January 2014 at 12:26

Okay got it and best of all they stack. That makes that combo so beast. And when they come back into play you can lower the cost of something else instead. It is so great.

Add on: you say the gods need 7 but when I read it, it clearly says 'and' not 'combation'. To me the word 'and' means both conditions have to be true. In other words you need 14 devotion 7 of each color. Or was that just miswording on the cards? Oh I get so they meant to say a combo of two devotions.
Posted 28 January 2014 at 12:47

It is a combination of the two colors i had to read twice because english is not my native language, but After you put up a new god you only need plus 5 of any mana simbol in its mana cost for example.

Xenagos, God of Revels you could have her in play and elvish mystic and two Burning-Tree Emissary and xenagos gains creature type at a lovelly fourth turn, to add assault to injury add any lovelly simple creature like Fanatic of Mogis on the third turn because why not this is standard.

Magic is fun...
Posted 02 February 2014 at 10:52

2 other good cards I use for lowering x cost is semblance anvil and cloud key they go great with blaze bonfire and epic experiment
Posted 06 February 2014 at 01:53