Discussion Forum

Rules: lengedary vs "comes into play"

Venser, Shaper Savant is in play under my control.

I play a second Venser from my hand as an instant. Can I use his 'comes into play' ability to return the first Venser to my hand, preventing the legendary rule from triggering?

Im having trouble figuring out whether the state based effects check for legendary happens before or after the ability is triggered and resolved.

any clarification is appreciated =)
Posted 18 January 2010 at 05:02

In regards to whether or not it cancels out the legendary rule because of his ability, I would say yes as the effect is happening as he is entering the field so it can be used to return the other legendary to your hand before the "Legend Rule" takes place as they both have to be on the field at the same time.

The one question I have is why do it to return him to your hand if you have a exact copy on the field in the first place? Unless it was used in a chain for a storm ability on a card to multiply the effects that would take place. :D

Hope that helps
Posted 18 January 2010 at 05:19

The oracle text for venser is "When Venser, Shaper Savant enters the battlefield, return target spell or permanent to its owner's hand". Bolding is mine to highlight why this won't work: before the ability resolves off the stack the legendary rule, which is a state based effect, will take effect and kill them both.

State based effects are treated completely differently from everything else.
Posted 18 January 2010 at 06:10

Sorry, I agree with you as I miss read the ability it does indeed state that once he has entered that it happens so the "Legend Rule" does apply.

Thanks for spotting that Shadowex3.
Posted 18 January 2010 at 06:16

The legendary does not use the stack, so venser enters the battlefield, his effect is put on the stack and the legendary rule triggers, immediatly. Both vensers are destroyed before the effect on the stack triggers. The bounce effect still resolves but you can't target venser or if you did your target would have become invalid by the time the effect triggers.
Posted 18 January 2010 at 08:20

[QUOTE=Naairda]The one question I have is why do it to return him to your hand if you have a exact copy on the field in the first place?[/QUOTE]

to save him from any kind of nastiness targeting him.

thanks for all the replies
Posted 18 January 2010 at 14:08

I've discussed the scenario with at least a dozen of my mates that play MTG, and we have come the conclusion that in that scenario the card would work before the "Legend" Rule applies but that's the opinion of me and 20 people, so if your ever in Australia we'd allow it to be played the way that I originally stated. :D

:) But if it's allowed I'd suggest using it with Storm Abilities so that if used correctly it'd set of a massive chain reaction that would hurt a lot. :)
Posted 19 January 2010 at 01:24

Yeah, legendary's a state-based effect, so it happens without any chance to respond to it, or any chance for abilities to resolve. both die, and you don't get your shenanigans. There may be other ways to do that though (Vedalken Orrery and Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir come to mind...)
Posted 24 January 2010 at 10:54

No, this one actually works NightLoki. The Venser thing didn't work because by the time his ability came off the stack there were no legal targets left. This one works because the two dudes come into play and their stuff goes on the stack but before priority is passed the legend rule kills both and THEN the stack goes off.
Posted 24 January 2010 at 11:07

what's this one? I was talking about the Venser one, playing a Venser trying to save a Venser already in play? Did I miss a thing?
Posted 26 January 2010 at 19:05

i think he posted in the wrong thread....comparing this situation with the other one which was based on a legendary creature with "when this comes into play, put a creature in your graveyard back into play".

they're very similar...the other one works because by the time the ability resolves both legendary creatures are in the graveyard.
Posted 26 January 2010 at 19:07

yeah, the other one was the Sharuum question, i know that one works because a buddy of mine uses it in an EDH deck. That deck is insane
Posted 26 January 2010 at 19:21

how could it work in an EDH deck? you can't have two copies of it.
Posted 26 January 2010 at 21:08

Sculpting Steel and a billion ways to fetch/recur it
Posted 26 January 2010 at 22:01

Yeah sorry I'd been up for 24hrs and I keep tabs on this forum mostly through the email subscriptions that get shunted to my phone, I thought this was the Sharuum thread.
Posted 26 January 2010 at 23:57

however Shadowex, this is the Sharuum thread. 24 hours does that people, don't worry about it.
Posted 27 January 2010 at 12:13

lol no, it still isn't :P
Posted 27 January 2010 at 15:08

ah shoot. Now I'm guilty of sleep-typing. I got mislead by my own post too.
Posted 27 January 2010 at 16:29