Discussion Forum

My two favorite Edh decks

Been messing around with both of these for a while. They both do magnificent in play as well. Check them out if you want. =]

B/W Obzedat Field Control Reanimate
http://www.mtgvault.com/chewrida/decks/obzedat-ghost-council-edh/

U/R Pain Artist Control Draw
http://www.mtgvault.com/chewrida/decks/nin-pain-artificer-edh/
Posted 08 February 2014 at 18:04

I'm not sure how I like them... There's some pretty questionable card choices in both and some major oversights. They both seem rather underwhelming to me.

The Obzedat deck would fold to anyone playing any graveyard hate and some of the reanimation targets would just be bad for you. I'm not sure why it's completely neglected artifacts. Did it just end up like that or was that a thematic decision? You'll have a pretty padded life total but there's not any/many ways to capitalize on that. There's some really powerful stuff in Theros and BNG that would improve your deck. Gift of Immortality, Rescue from the Underworld, Whip of Erebos, etc.

The Izzet deck is missing key cards like Stuffy Doll and equipment that grant deathtouch. It is using primarily one shot steal effects making it extremely weak to Homeward Path effects or just token strategies. You're in the two strongest spell colors and only have 8 spells in the deck. Spellbook is not worth a slot in any deck. It doesn't do enough to be worthwhile. You've got Reliquary Tower but if you're really concerned about no max hand size, play Library of Leng or Venser's Journal instead. It's a relatively unnecessary effect even for a deck that draws a lot but if you must have it, make sure the cards actually do something else. I don't quite understand why you're playing the artifact lands... I may have missed an interaction somewhere. Trinket Mage alone isn't really enough to include them and you've only got one other search target so he's not even that playable in the deck. I would add Tezzeret and Sol Ring at a minimum if you want to include a "Trinket Mage package". Tibalt is really not worth playing... He's basically card disadvantage and the two extra abilities are uninspired sorceries that you'd have a better chance of seeing if you just played them yourself. The big toughness walls aren't worth the slots. You can hit any of your creatures and there's plenty of playable 4+ toughness creatures that playing a 0/7 wall is just a wasted slot. You have no protection for your general who will be a reasonably high priority kill target and not having her in play to draw cards completely shuts your deck down. Etc...

You've got a LOT of one shot effects in both decks which isn't really enough in multiplayer. You'll gain far more in the long run from stuff like Phyrexian Reclamation, Mimic Vat, Sigil of the New Dawn, or Gilded Lotus over half a dozen Animate Dead variants and Inner Fire. You're competing with 3-4x your resources in multiplayer and the one shot tempo plays just fall short. That's not to say they should be avoided entirely but it's almost always better to use repeatable utility when possible.
Posted 11 February 2014 at 10:12