Discussion Forum

Karametra's landfall EDH (help wanted)

hey all, as soon as I saw Karametra, god of harvests, I knew how good she could be in a landfall deck, but I'm rather inexperienced in EDH deck building. What should go in? what could come out? those kinds of questions I'm having a hard time answering.

That said, this is an initial draft and I can't afford to build it to play test it since I'm on a strict budget (it will take some time for me to get some of the more expensive cards), I will accept any and all help I can get.

Here's a link to the deck:http://www.mtgvault.com/baneofalduin/decks/karametra-landfall-edh/
Posted 14 February 2014 at 12:59

don't over do it with themes, don't play everything landfall, just the good cards. Grazing Gladehart for example isn't very good in EDH.

Wayfaring Temple is another example of a bad EDH creature. If you play multiplayer (and I presume you do) the worst decks are those that overextend, those that need to play tons of creatures to be any good. They draw all the attention and get teamed up against. So it's better to play creatures that are good on their own without the need for you to overextend.

For landfall abuse I suggest you play lands that can return to your hand like Thawing Glaciers and Undiscovered Paradise or simply Selesnya Sanctuary.
Posted 17 February 2014 at 08:25

With your general being a glorified ramp spell, I would play fewer total lands. However, with her costing 5 it would be in your best interests to still play some of the cheaper ramp spells. Maybe a Sol Ring, Cultivate or Yavimaya Elder/Sakura Tribe Elder.

You don't want the deck to fall apart if she were to get countered or to just be too late to the show when everyone else is on 7+ mana before you get your first ramp effect into play.

I would say you do not have enough card draw in the deck. You definitely need a Horn of Greed. It won't trigger off of Karametra or Into the Wild type effects but all the extra land drops from Exploration, Oracle or Azusa will cantrip which will be insane card advantage. A million lands in play does nothing if you can't use the mana.

Keep in mind she only procs on casting creature spells so the deck isn't going to just "combo off" when you get out a Rampaging Baloths or Sporemound. It will certainly get you a scary board presence pretty fast though. I would include some form of overrun effect or two so that you can actually get through with damage.

You have no wipe recovery. If something dies there's no way for you to get it back.

Landfall decks need fetch lands. I would play Sun Titan and Crucible of Worlds along with all the fetches you can reasonably fit in the deck. Each fetch will trigger landfall twice. Crucible will ensure you always hit ALL your land drops for the turn with double the effective landfall triggers. Also, run Ghost Town as you can play it every turn to get landfall triggers even if you don't draw into a land.

There's definitely room for improvement on your creature base as well. As an example, Thraben Heretic would be far better as a Stonecloaker. It can surprise your opponent instead of them just playing around him. It can trigger your general as many times as you have mana to cast it since it can bounce itself. Galepowder Mage seems out of place here since you don't have a ton of CITP effects. Drumhunter is pretty bad... the potential for card draw isn't really worth the slot. You need more five drops in your Birthing Pod chain. Acidic Slime would be a good addition.

You've got two fliers with no reach (and one of those should probably come out). You need more ways to handle flying. White has access to excellent angels and such. You should probably include more or you'll just fold to Kaalia or any other quick flying aggro decks.

Constant Mists is a must in any deck that has lands to spare.
Posted 17 February 2014 at 08:53

I would suggest putting in Fleetfoot Panther and Whitemane Lion for repeatable landfall triggers and ramp. Just target themselves when you cast them.

Also, @Seth, I think I found your tiger,

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=130347
Posted 14 March 2014 at 13:15

Is this still going, or has it dried up, because I have a very effective Edh Karametra hate bear deck
Posted 30 July 2016 at 14:01