Discussion Forum

Tribal Scarecrow deck, newly made, needs tweaking.

http://www.mtgvault.com/dameonlg/decks/tribal-scarecrow/

So I'm thinking of removing prototype portal for either another Fang Skulkin or another Jawbone. One cost Scarecrows (Of which I think Jawbone is the only one) is probably an advantage in this deck.

It has REALLY good mana ramp from what I've seen playing it, and the Myrs in it, if I get two Galvanizers and a Palladium, is infinite mana. Not sure if I need the Galvanizers honestly.

I do kind of want more card draw with this much mana ramp. I do find myself top decking a lot.

I was also looking at Scarecrone but she's around 5-6 dollars a card (This deck was pretty cheap to make), but she would give me things to spend that extra mana on.
Posted 25 February 2014 at 19:40

this deck would probably run way more efficient on land fetching based land acceleration (Sakura Tribe Elder, kodama's Reach, Cultivate, Solemn Simulacrum) and basic lands.

as it is now:

- you run to much land
- you don't run mana accceleration
- you don't run anything significant to manipulate your draws, filter through unwanted draws and draw more
- your deck is very vulnerable to creature removal and artifact removal, not to mention board sweepers. Your mana acceleration is based on mana dorks with the same vulnerablitity as the rest of your deck. Your opponent doesn't just gain card advantage when he sweeps the board he kills your mana base.

a good strategy is to

- accelerate your landbase
- use blue spells to use that accelerated manabase so you always have plenty of cards to play
- sculpting your draws and playing a focused strategy is way better then just playing a lot of redundancy. for instance if it costs a lot of mana and you don't want to play it before turn 4 you probably don't need 4 copies in your deck. Also your deck is full of both artifacts and creatures, both card types are easy to tutor. TUTOR!!! that way you fetch what you need instead of letting pure luck decide your game of magic
Posted 26 February 2014 at 08:00

Really? I know it's got some expensive cards, but with the mana generation from non-land I thought a standard land/non-land split was appropriate.

With the Urza combo, I've been able to get ten mana just from lands turn 4. And another 6 from mana dorks/sol ring. I've only had one game so far where I wasn't the guy with the most mana for the entire game. I usually end up top decking a lot due to having too much and not enough card draw.

The deck also has 6 creatures that tap for mana, an infinite mana combo, a way to reduce the cost of over half my deck to 1, and a couple other tricks.

(Which is why I did end up putting two Scarecrones in for more card draw and things to spend mana on, more graveyard retrieval in case of board wipes, etc).

I updated the list, fyi.
Posted 26 February 2014 at 15:06

Urza lands need help to be reliabale, sure they give tons of mana but how often do you have all 3 lands before turn 5?
In the past people used Compulsive Research to filter, I've also seen Explore boost Urza decks to great success.

playing Green would open up Tooth and Nail wich is an awesome tutor if you have mana to burn. playing :manau::manag: would open even more. Stuff like Urban Evolution and stupid good draw spells like Recurring Insight.

If you like to go old school Myr, Slate of Ancestry usually does the trick in creature heavy mana heavy decks.
Posted 27 February 2014 at 08:12

I really like that last card. I'm trying to keep the colors down as much as possible, I only have the green in there on some of the lands to make Reaper King cheaper and play Doubling Chant when I get the chance.
Posted 27 February 2014 at 14:24

Updated the deck, performs a bit more solidly now.
Posted 06 March 2014 at 02:02