Discussion Forum

Stack Resolving?

Alright, my question is...

Can triggered abilities or spells be added to the stack when the stack is resolving, as long as you wait between spells?

For example, I have Satyr Firedancer in play and I play Sizzle. An opponent plays Doomblade on the stack, targeting my Satyr Firedancer. I then play Breath of Malfegor on the stack on top of Doomblade.

It should resolve like this:

Breath of Malfegor - Deals Damage
Doomblade - Kills Creature
Sizzle - Deals Damage

I was wondering, since my Satyr Firedancer would still be alive after Breath of Malfegor finished resolving, would his ability trigger on top of the Doomblade, before it resolved? (Since an instant or sorcery dealt damage to an opponent)
Posted 26 February 2014 at 13:34

Yep! It works exactly like that.

So for example, you started with:

Breath of Malfegor - Deals Damage
Sizzle - Deals Damage

After Breath resolves and domes all your opponents, the satyr triggers, you choose your target, and then it looks like this:

Satyr Firedrinker - Deals Damage to a creature
Sizzle - Deals Damage

Hope this helps!
Posted 27 February 2014 at 00:37

Thanks it helps alot! I previously thought that you could not respond to anything when the stack was in the middle of resolving.

EDIT: Thanks for responding to my other questions as well. I appreciate it.
Posted 27 February 2014 at 01:51

On an almost similar note, i have my Whip of Erebos targeting a creature in a graveyard, but my opponent has a deathrite shaman and responds by exiling that target. Will the whip's ability fizzle out?
Posted 02 May 2014 at 18:53

Yes, I believe it will fizzle as it no longer has a legal target.
Posted 02 May 2014 at 19:57

Yes, you can cast a spell or activate an ability any time you have priority. There are timing restrictions on the spells themselves but you still are given the opportunity to respond to everything, in nearly every step of the game.

Whip targets creature > Opponent responds by targeting same creature with deathrite > you have the opportunity to respond but likely won't be able to do anything to stop the deathrite's ability. Once the stack begins to resolve, the creature card is exiled removing the only target from the whips ability which will cause it to fizzle when it attempts to resolve.
Posted 03 May 2014 at 18:49