Discussion Forum

My Aluren Commander

Hey guys

I know I post almost no decks while I have plenty. Since Epsilon makes an effort posting his decks and they have been a source of inspiration as well as some of the other decks people posted here, I felt like posting this one myself for a change.

Commander: Momir Vig, Simic Visionary
Type: Combo (yeah I know, it gets boring real fast but I enjoyed building this one)
# of cards: 101, all my commander decks are 101 cards, I guess that's not completely legal but our group allows it

It started out as a :manau::manab::manag: deck but as I played very few black cards I cut black altogether giving me access toi a far better general for this style of deck. There's a bunch of cards I would like to have in the deck but that I did not have available at the moment (as they are in other decks) like boundless realms, one of my favorite cards.

on the vault: http://www.mtgvault.com/setherial/decks/aluren-commander/
on Deckstat: http://deck.tk/5wmz1MbY
Posted 07 March 2014 at 08:35

The only things I can really think of is that you have no ways of getting your signature card out and that you're playing GSZ without a Dryad Arbor for those awesome turn 1 ramp plays.

Long-Term Plans would be good and works really well with the top.

An Intuition package would be good as well. Regrowth, Aluren, E-witness. Etc.

You could try for the Ring of Three Wishes or Planar Portal but those are kinda lame and expensive.

You may also be a bit light on reactionary spells. It's hard to combo off when you aren't really prepared to deal with interruption from opponents or just faster decks.

I would consider included Teferi to stop them from abusing Aluren on other player turns. I'm all for dropping in my Stonecloaker 100 times to exile your graveyard for free or trigger 100 ETB effects, killing you mid combo.
Posted 07 March 2014 at 11:32

I cut

Blue sun's zenith
Relic of progenitus
Concentrate
Master biomancer
Sol ring

For

Intuition
Regrowth
Amazi, lady of scrolls
Quirion dryad (as a heavy hitter)
Teferi, mage of zhalfir (not that I'm that worried about other poeple playing anything they could easily abuse with aluren but I'm going to test him, he seems solid in this deck)

Green sun's zenith in edh feels like sol ring, an early occasional boost that dies at the first sign of trouble. Its just not worth the slot. In duel commander it probably is but not in the kind of game I usually play.
Posted 07 March 2014 at 13:13