Discussion Forum

New "Hot Decks" formula.

Hello,

Recently I noticed that with at least three 'likes' (or perhaps comments/views) to a deck within a short period of time one can reach the Hot Decks page, and might I say with relative ease. To test my theory I posted a deck and then had my chums surewhynot and DoTheWumpus give it a "like" as soon as they saw it in the New Decks page. Lo, and behold, it was immediately up on the Hot Decks list.

Now, I consider myself a rather intelligent man, but the point still remains: This was too easy. Worse, it is clearly easy to exploit. At the time I post this it appears a great deal more deck builders have figured this formula out in one way or another and they are exploiting it.

So there it is. In its current state the Hot Decks page is bollocks and needs to be, in some way, fixed.
Posted 09 March 2014 at 00:46

I completely agree that something needs changed or done to keep people from making multiple accounts and having the same 3-5 people liking your decks repetitively. it gets a little obvious when its done and is frankly ridiculous. giving decks unique names and sheer building skill is what SHOULD be used to get on the hot decks page but yet time after time we see the exact same builder bein put on the list with somr cases being rather unlikely such as 5 likes to 15 views. now if its a legitimate instance where you put hours upon hours of getting the cards thinking about how many of what and such things that's different. there's no need to cheat your decklist to the hot page though. if you help people out and give suggestions like the site was intended for, you'll get help and likes in return.
Posted 11 March 2014 at 15:11

I didn't know that's all it took to be in the hot section lol. I agree that's way too easy.
Posted 11 March 2014 at 15:43

Yeah it only takes 3 likes and its a little ridiculous how common some of the builders are on it. now most of them actually do it right and get likes by helping others but some people seem to have multiple accounts and give themselves likes.i think because of that and people liking decks of their friends a new way should be made.
Posted 11 March 2014 at 15:50

Oh definitely, maybe they should throw in like a hierarchy system so they need more than 3 likes. And maybe each user can only have a max of one or two decks on the hot list for a certain time frame, that would open up some space for other users.
Posted 11 March 2014 at 16:12

I'm not saying all the people do it but its sad when you end up seeing the same exact people on it daily. it would be different if it was people like craig wescoe and other pro tour players but its hard to think they are when there's a lot of things the comments suggest changing that the builder goes with. as for the change i feel it should be something along with a time related restriction. as well as an increase of likes needed.
Posted 11 March 2014 at 16:19

That's a good idea. Like jeez guys other people need help too don't be so needy lol jk.
Posted 11 March 2014 at 16:27

Its true though. for instance I've put months into building a deck for modern on the vault and it got 3 likes the day i posted it which was the day i registered, i went back to the main page for a minute not expecting to see it. it was at the top for a moment and i went to another deck for a moment and the deck head of it which wasn't even on the list two minutes before had 5 likes 15 views. yes getting onto the hot list will increase the views and likes. yes it will increase the help you get but its better to actually work for it. the guys that do give themselves likes with extra accounts while they are the ones to suffer by not getting better we honest people suffer just as much if not more as by the time they are done liking themselves all the honest earned spots are gone. Time restrictions, increasing likes needed, putting limits on the number of decks each personay have on the hot list are all things i would love to see put into effect to get the people who do give themselves likes stopped. Its high school all over again in the sense everyone seems to worry about themselves and not think of others.
Posted 11 March 2014 at 16:49

Yea that's not kewl. It doesn't help either there are so many decks posted at a given time. Those are good ideas to equal the playing field. You would think the select few who do that would be busy testing out the card suggestions instead of putting out new decks. I'm still pretty new to the site so I'm sure I'll become more familiar with the....eeeek....politics lol.
Posted 11 March 2014 at 17:08

Well i won't mention names of those i feel may be doing it as i used the same name as the vault itself but its actually becoming a common problem as actual creativity is being over shadowed by for a lack of a better word laziness in building. Also i feel a little old now after the politics comment since i have a good grasp on politics.
Posted 11 March 2014 at 17:20

It really has become a problem guys...
Posted 18 March 2014 at 23:14

I've noticed its slowed down a lot though since this was posted. beforehand you could log in and see a new deck on it and an hour later check again and ten new ones were there. So its at least slowed down some..
Posted 18 March 2014 at 23:28

Sorry for the delay in replying on this, those long standing members will know this "page" has been an issue in so many different ways :P

I'm no good at maths, but what sort of formula do you think would work? At the mo, as you know, its based around likes and age, so if someone boosts their deck and then no one else likes it, the "power" quickly decays and it falls off. Something with steady likes will drop a lot slower.

For the date, it's also based around the date it was marked public, not created, if that means anything.

I am keeping track of each users ip address who likes a deck and could reasonbly easily sift out multi accounts, but there's always ways around that.

I'm not a massive fan of using reputation as a weight, as it creates power users, but maybe that should be taken into account.

Constructive ideas are welcome, but please format the posts so they are concise and easy to read! (Bullet points?!) :)
Posted 19 March 2014 at 10:35

I think first and foremost it can't be something as simple as three likes in a short period of time...or anything that is that easy/obvious to exploit.

If a deck is truly going to be "hot" then I think it would be getting likes, comments, and views rather consistently.

I DO think that reputation should have some effect, but not a huge one. You wouldn't want someone with over a thousand rep to cause problems >___>
Posted 19 March 2014 at 21:51

The old "hot" page had a much higher threshold which meant decks hung around on the homepage longer, which was also bad? :P

Yea there needs to be more variables taken into account. The difficult part is still HOW do people get likes? Getting your "stuff" out there. We tried to fix this with the unloved page, but maybe that page needs some more love! :P

I'll move the soft cap up and see what happens :)
Posted 20 March 2014 at 09:23

Oh and actually letting people set their own homepage would also go a long way to resolving this, but that's easier said than done :)
Posted 20 March 2014 at 09:24

Do you think it's too much to force hot decks to have a "How to Play" and a "Description" ? Means the builder has to put that extra bit of effort in :p
Posted 21 March 2014 at 10:16

Incase you hadn't noticed, I added some IP protection to the likes, so you can't simply boost a deck now by liking it from your alt accounts. Also changed the values, so need to keep an eye on the page to check new decks actually go on there :p
Posted 24 March 2014 at 16:33

Is it too hard to get on the homepage now...? Lol :(
Posted 09 April 2014 at 11:15

[QUOTE=Pariah0206] And maybe each user can only have a max of one or two decks on the hot list for a certain time frame, that would open up some space for other users.[/QUOTE]

I like this idea. I haven't been building anything lately, but I noticed that the whole page is just decks by the same person, and though they're fine decks, I'm sure other people want to see their decks up there too.
Posted 09 April 2014 at 20:17

[QUOTE=racky54]I like this idea. I haven't been building anything lately, but I noticed that the whole page is just decks by the same person, and though they're fine decks, I'm sure other people want to see their decks up there too.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, this is a nifty idea. Maybe the "reward" for high reputation is one extra deck per X reputation.
Posted 09 April 2014 at 21:06

I've changed it so now you can only have two on the hot page at any time. It basically takes your two best "scored" decks. FYI Decks stay on hot decks for 40 days after they have been made public.

Regards to rep, people with less than 5 rep now don't count towards the "score", this is because someone upvoted NorthernWarlords decks with tonnes of shitty accounts from various IP addresses. Ofc this is not his fault, but still, it skews it.

I'm still concerned about "advertising", there's no GOOD way to get feedback. Unloved doesn't seem to work that well, imo. It's nearly worth adding a top block onto the homepage in which people can put a deck in. Although no idea how people "pay" for this. Other sites you can buy tokens to use this feature, but not sure how well that'd be received. That said it does help pay for server costs.... :)
Posted 10 April 2014 at 09:53