Discussion Forum

Rogues Passage vs. Terrifying Presence

I am new to this website but have a question I am hoping somebody can answer for me.....My opponet played Rogues Passage land paying the mana to make target creature unblockable this turn. I cast Terrifying Presence Instant, stating "Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt by creatures other tan target creature this turn." In my unofficial opinion, I think that because I am not "Blocking" the target creature, rather preventing all combat damage this turn, that the terryifying presence prevents my opponents creature from dealing damage to me. Anybody know the official answer to this play? He says No because I cant block, I say yes because I am not blocking with a creature, rather preventing all damage this turn....Please solve this argument for us.
Posted 09 March 2014 at 23:37

dude....

blocking and actually dealing damage are 2 unrelated things. You can't block his creature, fine, you prevent all damage = all damage is prevented. It's that simple. 99% of the time magic is very simple, there are no hidden rules, it's the way the cards say it is. It's always new players that invent rules and make stuff up that makes the game seem difficult.

You are correct and he is wrong. It's not because a creature isn't blocked that it does damage.
Posted 10 March 2014 at 13:27

[QUOTE=Seth] You can't block his creature, fine, you prevent all damage = all damage is prevented.[/QUOTE]

As long as there is another target for your spell. If there is only the one target, then your spell will have to target it.

Seth is 100% correct.
Posted 18 March 2014 at 15:52