Discussion Forum

Guardian of the Gateless

I thought I understand this card. I figured that the catch for her ability was yes she can block any number of creatures but only if the damage is less than her toughness, for example if there are 20 1/1 soldiers on the board she could block all of them and still be a 3/3 because of her +1 for each creature. But if there were 20 2/2 creatures wouldn't she be dead after about the third one? She would have taken on more damage by that time. I was playing a buddy and I had 10 3/3 wolves I was attacking with and he said it was legit to use her to block all of them, she would die at the end but could still block all of them, is that how the card works?
Posted 11 March 2014 at 14:17

It works exactly like the card says it works

Flying

means it can fly

Guardian of the Gateless can block any number of creatures.

means it can block ANY NUMBER OF CREATURES, just like in your case, it can block ALL your wolves

Whenever Guardian of the Gateless blocks, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn for each creature it's blocking.

It blocks 10 wolves which means when damage resolves it is a 13/13 flying creature that takes 30 damage and deals 13 damage divided so that it kills a maximum of wolves. When combat damage is checked Guardian of the Gateless dies and so do 4 wolves. 6 of your wolves will live after combat but all of them will have been blocked.
Posted 11 March 2014 at 15:28

Okay thank you! That's how we played it, I'm still fairly new to magic. I got this card for my angel deck too, for how inexpensive it was I figured there was a catch but that's a great ability.
Posted 11 March 2014 at 15:58