Discussion Forum

An Illegal Move

I have been working on a Lotus generating deck and have stumbled on an "Illegal move" regarding Lotus Bloom and March of the Machines.

Here is the deck:
http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=41349

Now the challenge for you is to build a deck around an "Illegal move", i.e. one not covered by the MTG rules, and post it here.

Of course one entry per person and please no negative criticism.
Good luck.
Posted 23 January 2010 at 11:59

That is covered by the rules; the Lotus Bloom animated with March of the Machines has no toughness and dies as a state based effect.
Posted 23 January 2010 at 18:18

I have checked all advanced rule books and sites about this card and there is no such specification that it has a mana cost.

If it has a mana cost it would show on the card and besides if by saying it has a mana cost of zero. Zero is a number and hence is a mana cost even though you don't pay anything to play the card. So since there isn't even a zero where the mana cost is supposed to be implies that it does not have one.
Posted 23 January 2010 at 19:00

Look in the rulings for the cards with no mana cost that you have to cast by suspending them. A card without a mana cost has a converted mana cost of 0.
Posted 24 January 2010 at 00:31

202.3a The converted mana cost of an object with no mana cost is 0.

116.6. Some mana costs contain no mana symbols. This represents an unpayable cost. An ability can also have an unpayable cost if its cost is based on the mana cost of a spell with no mana cost. Attempting to cast a spell or activate an ability that has an unpayable cost is a legal action. However, attempting to pay an unpayable cost is an illegal action.

Magic Comprehensive Rules 10/05/2009

Also, March of the Machines refers to converted mana cost of artifacts, so it checks it as 0.
Posted 24 January 2010 at 10:23

I'm sure the rules for March of the Machines animating the artifact lands would apply to Lotus Bloom.
Posted 26 January 2010 at 05:59

Hello Everyone. Nice Post and keep going ...
Posted 05 March 2010 at 04:42

yes i agree scumbling1
Posted 12 March 2010 at 09:15