Discussion Forum

Zombie Tribal EDH (Mogis, God of Slaughter)

Just constructed this deck and I can't wait to try it out. Let me know what you think or if it's missing anything critical. Mogis may not be a zombie, nor do I use very much red in here but he has a huge presence on the field that works with what my zombies will be doing and indestructibility makes him tough to remove.

http://www.mtgvault.com/chewrida/decks/mogis-zombification-20/
Posted 26 March 2014 at 23:48

I would skack up on continuous damage effects like Sulfuric Vortex, Ankh of Mishra, Zo-Zu the Punisher, Manabarbs, Warstorm Surge, Kaervek the Merciless, Lightning Reaver , Vicious Shadows

well you get the picture, might not fit the theme but its effective

For Deathbringer Thoctar and Vengeful Dead insanity you need a sac outlet, I don't believe I saw many of those. They are always a good idea. Carrion Feeder for instance is awesome.

Living Death seems like a must to me, so does Decree of Pain.
Posted 27 March 2014 at 11:11

I actually had sulfuric vortex in here at first but took it out, I might try to find a place for it again. Anhka of mishra is interesting so I'll look into it. Lightning Reaver was one of those creatures I wanted to put in but wasn't completely sure, it does have an effect on each each player which is good. Hmmmmm maybe, and it is a zombie so would fit the theme. Do you think the opponent would benefit too much from living death since they should quite a few creatures in their graveyard from mogis and all my removal? Greaaaatttt call on decree of pain I completely forgot about that card, I'll get one for this.
Posted 27 March 2014 at 11:51

I run some removal, and alot of death touch, mixed with mogis ability I figured I should benefit enough from the deathbringer and vengeful.
Posted 27 March 2014 at 11:54

I was in a game a while back where my friend had a bunch of zombies out with the Deathbringer Thoctar, Vengeful Dead & Carrion Feeder trio on the board. He had Living Death in his yard, he always plays it it's one of his things. I was on my Oloro, Ageless Ascetic crazy lifegain deck. What I did to kill my 2 other opponents was cast his living death a few times with Chancellor of the Spires and then Karmic Guide on the Chancellor of the Spires that just died and then something like Memory Plunder to do it again.

He kept sacking all his zombies in response so they would come back with Living End and by doing so he dealt damage with Vengeful Dead and then again with Deathbringer Thoctar. It was a very effective machine gun and I didn't care Because my life total was insane.

My point is that it was a pretty effective strategy on his part even though the abuse came from my end. Now if I had not been able to gain life that would have been a very different scenario :)
Posted 27 March 2014 at 12:23

I can't wait to use deathbringer against a token edh so I can wipe the field of all the tokens. That combo with carrion Feeder is rough, I might play this deck out and see if carrion feeder would be that useful in here, cause I can see the benefit, especially since this deck should pump out tokens too as fodder. I have faced my fair share of lifegain decks and.that alone might be reason enough to run that sulfuric vortex.

I personally see vengeful dead as a field wipe deterant, making them think if they wanna lose all that life or not, and if they do at least they lose a ton of life in the process.
Posted 27 March 2014 at 16:42

[QUOTE=Chewrida]I personally see vengeful dead as a field wipe deterant, making them think if they wanna lose all that life or not, and if they do at least they lose a ton of life in the process.[/QUOTE]

i'm a huge fan of resets and the only thing that would stop me from sweeping if your board is better then mine is my lifetotal falling under 1. 1 is fine, I'll gain some life after that, its better then facing a horde of zombies that I can't block. Life is just a resource, card advantage will win me the game.

Thats why I suggest you aggresivly pile up on damage dealing enchantments and artifacts, stuff that piles up turn after turn just like what your general does. By the way if you have something that deals damage every turn you can use bloodchief ascension.
Posted 28 March 2014 at 07:47

At least with vengeful dead i can deal some serious damage to you if you field wipe, even if you will be in the benefit afterwords from it. Every bit of damage counts.

Blooodchiefs ascension would be a great add but im not gonna buy it right now, I know some people who have it so ill see if i can get it in a trade first. But you have a point with the constant damage, so im definitely going to put sulfuric vortex back in.
Posted 28 March 2014 at 21:47