Discussion Forum

Courser of Kruphix - a few questions

So I have a few questions about Courser of Kruphix particularly how it interacts with Garruk, Caller of Beasts

1st question: Keeping in mind that the card only allows you to play land during a phase in which you would normally be allowed to play a land, assuming I start my main phase with a land on top of my library and revealed. That land comes off the library as a result of Courser's first ability, is the next card my draw card and am I allowed to draw it, or does the ability count as my draw for this turn?

Second question: Garruk, Caller of Beasts +1 ability; do the cards come off the library one at a time? If so, assuming I have not played a land yet, and the next card on my library (which thanks to the Courser is face up now) is a land, will the Coursers ability allow me to put that land into play?

I know... probably dumb questions. I'm kind of new to this and I am probably over thinking. I apologize if this thread isn't in the right forum and thx in advance for any help.
Posted 08 April 2014 at 15:46

[QUOTE=ritmoon]So I have a few questions about Courser of Kruphix particularly how it interacts with Garruk, Caller of Beasts

1st question: Keeping in mind that the card only allows you to play land during a phase in which you would normally be allowed to play a land, assuming I start my main phase with a land on top of my library and revealed. That land comes off the library as a result of Courser's first ability, is the next card my draw card and am I allowed to draw it, or does the ability count as my draw for this turn?

Second question: Garruk, Caller of Beasts +1 ability; do the cards come off the library one at a time? If so, assuming I have not played a land yet, and the next card on my library (which thanks to the Courser is face up now) is a land, will the Coursers ability allow me to put that land into play?

I know... probably dumb questions. I'm kind of new to this and I am probably over thinking. I apologize if this thread isn't in the right forum and thx in advance for any help.[/QUOTE]

First: Untap > Upkeep > Draw > Main Phase

You draw for the turn before you reach your main phase. However, Courser doesn't automatically put the lands into play. You can play a land as a special action whenever you can cast a sorcery. You aren't required to do it and Courser only allows you to play your land for the turn from the top of your library rather than from your hand if you choose. If you start your turn with a land on top, you're drawing that land and then whatever is below it will be your next turns draw unless it is also a land. You'd have the choice of which land to play in that case.

Second: The cards don't come off the library at all. You reveal the top 5 cards but they're still in your library in the same order as you revealed them. Until the ability puts them on the bottom or in your hand, they're still the top 5 cards of your library. However, even if you did draw them like you were thinking, it all happens during the resolution of the ability and you're not able to do anything during the resolution of an ability, least of all cast a sorcery since the stack isn't empty and you don't have priority.
Posted 09 April 2014 at 01:38

Ok. Thank you.
Posted 09 April 2014 at 13:48