Discussion Forum

Help with the ruling on two cards

So i'm new to Magic and i have a question how two cards in my deck will affect each other.
I have Consuming Aberration and the cards rule is "Consuming Aberration's power and toughness are each equal to the number of cards in your opponents' graveyards."
And i also have Underworld Cerberus in the same deck and one the the cards rules are "Cards in graveyards can't be the targets of spells or abilities."

So my question is since Consuming Aberration isn't exactly "Targeting" any card in the graveyard but the whole graveyard would Underwold Cerberus card affect Consuming Aberrations Power/Toughness

Thanks
Posted 18 June 2014 at 22:53

The Consuming Aberration wouldn't be affected by the underworld cerberus. As you stated, the consuming aberration doesn't actually target the cards in the graveyard, so the ability of the underworld cerberus wouldn't come into play. It's the same thing as protection from a color abilities: if your creature has protection from white, it can still be destroyed by a wrath of god, because it isn't being targeted by the spell.
Posted 13 July 2014 at 04:15