Discussion Forum

A beginner's primer to priority

Ok, I've been asked to do a quick blurb on priority. Unfortunately, it's a wordy topic, so it'll take some wordage, so here goes!
First, a definition, straight from the comprehensive rules;

115.1. Unless a spell or ability is instructing a player to take an action, which player can take actions at
any given time is determined by a system of priority. The player with priority may cast spells,
activate abilities, and take special actions.

So basically, having priority means you can do stuff. The active player (the guy taking his turn right now) gets priority during the beginning of most steps and phases, after turn-based actions (such as drawing during your draw step) have happened. You do not get priority during the untap step, nor during the cleanup step unless an ability triggers during either one of these. Speaking of which, the active player gets priority immediately after any abilities are put on the stack. When the active player gets priority, once the player decides to move on with his/her turn, the next player in the turn order gets priority. If priority is passed all the way around the table (or between both players, as is most often the case), the next part of the turn is taken. For example:
Player A gains priority during his pre-combat main phase. If he decides not to play anything and wishes to move to the combat phase, then he passes priority to Player B. Player B casts Terminate when he gets priority. Player B does not wish to cast anything else while Terminate's on the stack (yet), so he passes priority back to Player A. Player A casts Cancel targeting Terminate, and passes priority. Player B has no response, so Cancel resolves countering Terminate and removing it from the stack. Player A gets priority, passes, Player B passes priority back, and they move on to the Combat Phase (Pre-combat step).

Complicated, huh? Most of the time priority isn't a huge issue, but if you want to do something during an opponent's turn, say kill their dude with terminate, you have to wait until you have priority to do so. Playing a land doesn't pass priority, neither does using a mana ability like Llanowar Elves. It's complicated, but it gets intuitive after a while. So, any questions I can answer?
Posted 09 February 2010 at 04:50

No disrespect intended but I don't think beginners will get what you just said.

I liked this article on priority and the stack, I think it's pretty clear and gives good examples (new player will probably have to look up a bunch of cards he uses in the examples to understand what is going on)

Priority and the Stack

You cannot explain priority without explaining about the stack
Posted 09 February 2010 at 10:33

No offense taken, it was way overcomplicated and it makes sense to me, which is not a good barometer for the general public. My brain works funny, especially in writing. In person? I can explain Object Oriented Programming to an Amish farmer.
Posted 09 February 2010 at 10:37

[QUOTE=NightLoki]No offense taken, it was way overcomplicated and it makes sense to me, which is not a good barometer for the general public. My brain works funny, especially in writing. In person? I can explain Object Oriented Programming to an Amish farmer.[/QUOTE]

I tried that once on my girlfriend (test how difficult it would be to teach java to someone who had never coded a single line of code in their life) and I can tell you it's challenging to say the least. I think I got stuck (after an hour of trying) at explaining every keyword in public static void main(String args[])
:)
Posted 09 February 2010 at 10:58

[quote=Seth]I tried that once on my girlfriend (test how difficult it would be to teach java to someone who had never coded a single line of code in their life) and I can tell you it's challenging to say the least.[/quote]

Woah, hold on... that is a HUGE mistake! ;)
Posted 09 February 2010 at 11:33

I knew you were a coder! I like this being right thing, it happens just often enough to make me feel good about myself.
Posted 09 February 2010 at 11:37

there's probably a very large portion of adult magic players that are also coders.

we love playing with complex systems of interacting rules and finding ways to twist the logic to our ends hehe =)

ps:java pwns :cool:
Posted 09 February 2010 at 15:20

Better rules knowledge does help your play. Of course, knowing basic tells doesn't hurt either. I need to start playing poker...
Posted 09 February 2010 at 15:34

being creative with endless complexity, that's the draw. Building decks from the endless amounts of cards that have been released since the beginning of magic is a challenging and fun thing to do.
I find software development a very creative profession and there its the complexity as well that makes it challenging and rewarding. I'm with Seras, I think lots of magic players are coders, it appeals in a simular way.
Posted 10 February 2010 at 08:04

<.< >.> Comp Sci major here, so yeah.
Posted 10 February 2010 at 09:17

Future lawyer. I like to tell my friend whose an EE that I'm technically an Engineer of Bullshit.
Posted 10 February 2010 at 09:43

I almost went that route with computer law. Then I woke up one day and realized to do anything worthwhile with that, I'd have to rewrite federal law. I didn't take to the idea well.
Posted 10 February 2010 at 12:13