Discussion Forum

Multiple blockers and abilities like double strike

So I'm not quite sure how Magic works when it comes to multiple blockers, how the game works. I've tried reading through the rules 509 but I just cant get it.

I wonder if I've understood this correctly:

A 5/5 creature attacks, it gets blocked by three creatures, a 2/2 and two 1/1. As I understand the rules on this: The defending player assigns them in an order for the blocking. Then the attacking player chooses the damage assignment. So whats the point in the defending player choosing an order for the blockers when the damage assignment can be assigned anyway the attacking player wants to? I don't get it.

Also, what would happen if I attack with say a Warren Instigator and it gets blocked by two 1/1 creatures. It has double strike. Would it deal damage to only one of the creatures since it only is a 1/1? Or would it kill both with the double strike? It only has 1 damage to deal, and that would be used up by the first 1/1, right?

I hope somebody can give me som clarity in this aspect! If there is a guide or something that explains this more clearly then the rules, than that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Posted 06 August 2014 at 13:22

I reread the rules to be sure but as I already thought there is no blocking order assigned by the defending player. The defending player just says which creatures block which attackers. The attacking player however chooses the order in which he assigns damage and this is where certain rules apply. The damage assigned to each creature must be enough to do lethal damage. So if a 2/2 attacker is blocked by 2 2/2 defenders the attacking player MUST deal 2 damage to one of the 2 creatures and is not allowed to for instance deal 1 damage to each creature. This is a subtle difference but in rare occasions it matters. 99% of the time it doesn't. A creature with deathtouch is allowed to assign 1 damage to each defending creature as that 1 damage is lethal damage.
In case a creature like Wall of Shadows blocks the attacking player only has to assign 1 damage to it even though that damage isn't lethal, so it's more like doing damage equal to the creatures thoughness.

double strike:

A creature with double strike or first strike assigns damage in a seperate phase before normal damage is assigned. So Warren Instigator deals damage to the first blocker in the first strike phase, that creature dies, then normal damage is assigned and Warren Instigator (because it has double strike and not first strike it gets to assign damage in the normal attack phase as well) assigns 1 damage to the remaining blocker and that blocker assigns 1 damage to Warren Instigator. Both die when the game checks damage.
Posted 07 August 2014 at 07:20

[QUOTE=Seth]I reread the rules to be sure but as I already thought there is no blocking order assigned by the defending player.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so very much Seth for taking time and answering my questions! I think I have a better general understanding of blocking with multiple creatures now.

The only thing that still manages to confuse me is rule 509.3. where it says:

"Third, for each blocking creature, the defending player announces that creature's damage assignment order, which consists of the creatures it's blocking in an order of that player's choice. (During the combat damage step, a blocking creature can't assign combat damage to a creature it's blocking unless each creature ahead of that blocked creature in its order is assigned lethal damage.) This turn-based action doesn't use the stack."

I interpret this as that the defending player can choose an order for blocking, specifically "which consists of the creatures it's blocking in an order of that player's choice". Am I completely lost?

Thanks again!
Posted 08 August 2014 at 22:20

Yeah I remember when they first implemented that rule, and it confused me too, still does but it's like this

Example: lets say player A attacks with a 5/5 and player B defends with a 3/6 and 2/2

509.2. Second, for each attacking creature that's become blocked, the active player announces that creature's damage assignment order

this means that the active player (the one attacking) specifies in which order his creature (the 5/5) will deal damage to the blocking creatures.

He will deal damage first to the 2/2 (and he must assign a minimum of 2 damage to it) and then he assigns his remaining 3 damage to the 3/6
This way the 2/2 will die but if he choses to deal damage first to the 3/6 he is obligated to assign 5 damage to it so neither blocker would die. So the order is obviously important.

509.3. Third, for each blocking creature, the defending player announces that creature's damage assignment order, which consists of the creatures it's blocking in an order of that player's choice.

This is the somewhat confusing part but it just states that the defending players gets to decide in which order his blockers (the 2/2 and the 3/6) deal damage to the attacking creature. This obviously doesn't matter in this case and to my knowledge I've never encountered a situation where it mattered but it's in the rules and I'm sure there are theoretical situations where it would matter.
Posted 11 August 2014 at 10:23

Quality And Reliability - Online Assignment Assistance in Melbourne
Quality and reliability go hand in hand at MyAssignment.live. No matter how complicated the assignment is, we never compromise the quality. This helps us establish a sense of reliability among students in and around Melbourne. Here’s how we ensure quality and reliability in our online assignment writing services.

Attention To Details
Rigorous Checking
No Room for Plagiarism
Attention To Details:

We lay a complete focus on the nitty-gritty aspects of the assignments. These include topic development and ideation, roadmap establishment, acquiring strong references, ensuring grammatical accuracy and the like.

Rigorous Checking:

We won't leave a paper midway without investing our time and effort in performing rigorous scans. These involve activities like fixing wrong references, ensuring there are zero typos, crosschecking examples and complicated citations and more.

No Room for Plagiarism:

Our <a href="https://myassignment.live/assignment-help-melbourne.html">assignment help Melbourne</a> experts leave no room for plagiarised content. From picking unique ideas and slants to eradicating the odds of repetitions and direct paraphrasing – we do everything to keep the odds of content duplication completely at bay.

So, now that you are aware of the broader dimension and how we ensure the perfect blend of quality and reliability in every assignment we craft, it's time to make a smart decision. Simply sign up with us today and get a reliable assignment helper to back you with comprehensive support on the go. Hire us today, and take your first step towards embracing academic excellence in its best form.
Posted 24 April 2024 at 11:08