Discussion Forum

Everlasting Torment vs Infect

Would this help protect from poison counters? I came across it in the new C16, and I was just curious. www.mtgvault.com/card/everlasting-torment/C16/
Posted 19 November 2016 at 18:28

From my understanding it won't prevent you from getting poison counters. Wither will 'transform' all damage a creature gets into -1/-1 counters but damage to players isn't affected.

Wither:
This creature deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters.
Infect:
This creature deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters and to players in the form of poison counters.
Posted 10 January 2017 at 15:26

But it says "All damage is dealt as though its source had wither," not "all damage dealt to creatures is dealt as though its source had wither". Wither doesn't give poison counters
Posted 17 January 2017 at 18:48

Took a while (simply didn't see your answer due to not getting a notification) but here is an answer.
Everlasting Torment only says that "damage is dealt as tough it had wither" and not something like "all creatures loose the infect ability", so a creature with infect will keep this ability. And that's where Rule 702.89b kicks in: Damage dealt to a player by a source with infect doesn’t cause that player to lose life. Rather, it causes that source’s controller to give the player that many poison counters.
Posted 23 July 2018 at 07:08