Discussion Forum

A few questions from a beginner

I used to play MTG about 8 or 9 years ago, and only played for a short while. Recently I dusted off some old cards, picked up a few new ones and realized I needed some help with some abilities.

Ob Nixillis, The Fallen:
Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may have target player lose 3 life. If you do, put three +1/+1 counters on Ob Nixilis, the Fallen.

Q: I understand the part about landfall and the target player losing 3 life, but am having a hard time with the counters. Do these 3 counters make him go from a 3/3 to a 6/6, and does he gain 3/3 in this manner everytime the player controlling him puts out a land? Somethings just didn't seem right when I thought this through..

-/- creatures:
I've seen some abilities, haven't played them or seen them come up, that gives a creature a -/- in their attack and defense. Such as, -1/-1. I'm guessing having a negative attack/defense doesn't kill you, but once you block or attack it will? Wasn't sure about this.

Quick reminder: If I have a card that says I gain life everytime a white spell is played - a spell includes creature, instant, enchantment, sorcery .. but not an ability? Is that correct?

Lastly: I read the rules on cycling, but it didn't make sense to me. Can anyone explain to it me like I'm a 5y/o?

Thanks guys!
Posted 14 February 2010 at 01:12

Okay with Ob nixilis. When you play a land if you choose to make a player lose 3 life He gets 3 +1/+1 counters. So first time he becomes a 6/6. Next turn if you play a land hes a 9/9 and so on.

With creatures that have wither. Say I attack you with a 3/3 you block with a 1/1 with wither. your ceature is now a 3/3 with a -1/-1 counter. So hes a 2/2.

Yes abilities don't count.

With cycling you basiccally pay the cost discard the card and draw a card. Some cards when you cycle them an ability triggers. ex. Gemplam avenger 5W 2/5 cycle 2W cycle all soldiers get +1/+1 and first strike. This abillilty card cant be countered. Unless you voidslime it.
Posted 14 February 2010 at 01:52

Ob gets +3/+3 every time but those aren't permanent. Some cards remove counters so if they are rekoed he would go back to 3/3. Incasg you didn't know that though I'd throw it in
Posted 14 February 2010 at 04:59

Negative counters WILL kill a creature as a State Based Effect* as soon as they have 0 toughness.

*State based effects are resolved before priority is passed during any point in the game, too fast for anybody to do anything in response.
Posted 14 February 2010 at 11:35