Discussion Forum

Mono white control viable?

I'd like to play in the Extended Format. It's been a few years since I made tournament and I would like to play with my favorite deck type : Weenie. Unfortunately it seems that there is no WW deck in Extended for the moment. I need help to point which cards I should use in the deck.

Sure pick : Path to Exile, Lapse of Certainty

Not sure pick : Crovax, Ascendant Hero

Thanks for the help!
Posted 05 February 2009 at 15:20

I play Extended as often as I can. And if you want to play WW, good luck. But WW has only ever been good in Standard (especially around Lorwyn-Eventide). I would recomend trying a different format, or a different archetype.

Here are the popular Extended archetypes:

Faerie Wizards (BU)-I'm not a fan of faeries, because everyone uses them nowadays when they can't use their own figgin brain to create something even moderately original. Now you may call me a hypocrite for saying faerie users are unoriginal when I'm suggesting to you, already well known archetypes. But with other archetypes, you can make the deck your own. Faeries, this is almost impossible. These decks rely on heavy amounts of counter-magic, and the pesky fae to win. And everyone's favorite, Bitterblossom.

Urzatron (WU/WUG, can be multiple color combos)-My personal favorite. I currently am running my own 'Tron build. The goal of Urzatron decks is to get the 3 Urza Lands (Urza's Mine, Urza's Power Plant, and Urza's Tower) into play. With these, you play some bigass creature, like Darksteel Collousus, Inkwell Leviathan, or Sundering Titan. You stall with white and blue control spells, and get your lands and biggies with blue draw/search spells. See mine here: http://mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=15182

Zoo (Any color combo, usually WURBG)-Zoo decks act like they sound. Get lots of cheap creatures, that kick ass. They cost little, but are big. Examples include: Tarmogoyf, Figure of Destiny, and Kird Ape. It utilizes the card Dark Confidant to place those into your hand, with maybe 1 or 2 damge to you. See an example here: http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Extended_Domain_Zoo_deck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I took time to write this post, but there may be a misconception or an error. Please, tell me if you see any. (I don't mean stuff like spelling, or grammar.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the closest thing to white weenies I could dig up in extended decklists:

Main Deck

2 White Knight
3 Savannah Lions
3 Kataki, War’s Wage
4 Silver Knight
4 Goblin Legionnaire
4 Grim Lavamancer
4 Lightning Helix
4 Lava Dart
3 Magma Jet
4 Firebolt
3 Char
1 Isamaru, Hound of Konda
3 Plains
3 Mountain
1 Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Wooded Foothills
3 Bloodstained Mire
3 Windswept Heath

Sideboard:

3 Purge
2 Kami of Ancient Law
3 Flaring Pain
4 Disenchant
3 Sulfuric Vortex

Yes it has red, but like I said, white weenies don't usually go that far in extended.
Posted 19 February 2009 at 19:43