Discussion Forum

Version 2.almost1

Ok I've started rolling out a few of the features I promised yesterday and I would appretiate any feedback you can give me, wether you spot a bug, want to tell us if the feature isn't quite right or even (hopefully) if it is.

The following features should now be live:

* Deck stats - Simple text stats on the right hand side of the deck viewer.
* Nested comments - Comments can now be replied to and replies are shown underneath the parent comment, much easier to cummunicate like this.
* New card search - Added colour options and a few extra card filters to help find Cards.
* Delete decks from profile (deck list) page - You are finally able to delete those old decks!
* Delete own comments - Delete your own comments.
* Report offensive comments - You can now report offensive comments but please use this sparingly as this is an additional manual job for us at the moment.
* Faster card delete - Cards can be removed from your deck without two page refreshes now and just a simple popup confirmation. Alternatively you can set card quantities to 0 to remove them from your deck.
* New Bayesian Rating System - This is our solution to the downvoting problems we've been having. Way better than the old voting system is so many ways and most importantly adds weighted voting to the mix to practically render multi-account down-voting pointless.
* Random decks list - The old most rated decks have been removed from the homepage as the voting system has changed completely, we're working on a replacement, but we need vote data in the DB first!
* New Deck Search - We have added a new deck search, that should make it a lot easier to find decks. Added Card Name, Colours and Deck Type search options.
Please do let me know if you find any problems so I can fix them! Enjoy! :)
Posted 21 February 2010 at 18:02

Before you ask:

* No, you cannot add your own profile picture for the comments system yet (sorry).
* The social stuff has been put on hold so we could roll the above features out first, it's about 80% done and will be coming soon.
* The deck votes table was wiped, we're starting from scratch.
;)
Posted 21 February 2010 at 18:07

I think this new setting is way better to find the cards u r looking for and the stats of the deck really help out good job and keep it comming.
Posted 21 February 2010 at 18:48

Couple of things:

The deck stats by type, for creature counting it is not counting artifact creatures (counting them only as artifacts) this makes the count not very useful if you are running artifact creatures.

The "rate this deck" input box doesnt have any information to say what should be put in it... is it out of 10? 100? 57?
Posted 21 February 2010 at 18:49

Other than that though looking good! thanks for your hard work :)
Posted 21 February 2010 at 18:49

how about doing a rotation of different types of top decks, say, every week or month or so? like burn one week, casual play the next, etc.
Posted 21 February 2010 at 18:56

[quote=Snowball]Couple of things:

The deck stats by type, for creature counting it is not counting artifact creatures (counting them only as artifacts) this makes the count not very useful if you are running artifact creatures.

The "rate this deck" input box doesnt have any information to say what should be put in it... is it out of 10? 100? 57?[/quote]

Hey Snowball, I was unsure of this one... should the count add one to artifacts AND one to creatures?

True, I guess I never thought about it as I knew! :D If you enter an incorrect value it tells you "Only vote between 0.00 and 10.00" so it's out of 10, but because of the decimals I guess it's effectively out of 1,000! :P

[quote=whitey_mcfly;4919]how about doing a rotation of different types of top decks, say, every week or month or so? like burn one week, casual play the next, etc.[/quote]

Yeah, we have a few ideas on this, but we really need to see if the new data we're going to be collecting is going to work the way we want it to first and we also want to be 100% sure our voting problems will be solved before we go creating extra stuff for it. For now the ratings will simply be shown on a per deck basis, and will therefore probably be giving a much more accurate result as there's no need for people to play silly fools for no reward. :P
Posted 21 February 2010 at 19:27

[QUOTE=Gary]should the count add one to artifacts AND one to creatures?[/QUOTE]

In my opinion yes, as what the stats are useful for is say checking that you have a decent creature-base, or checking how vulnerable you are to anti-artifact stuff or how much synergy with a particular card type your gona get, so I'd say them counting as both would be most useful, though it should probably be explained that this is the case somewhere.
Posted 21 February 2010 at 19:38

Also, from a user interface point of view there is no feedback when you put in a rating if the deck has too few votes, the page just reloads, so I have no idea when I'm using it whether or not my vote has actually gone through.
Posted 21 February 2010 at 19:41

Also, I think the icon on the delete deck button is pretty unclear, maybe make the waste basket bigger?
Posted 21 February 2010 at 19:58

[QUOTE=Snowball]Also, from a user interface point of view there is no feedback when you put in a rating if the deck has too few votes, the page just reloads, so I have no idea when I'm using it whether or not my vote has actually gone through.[/QUOTE]

True, although your vote value does stay in the box. I'll add a popup at somepoint :-)
Posted 21 February 2010 at 20:13

i like the new set up very much. i think i found one bug though at least on my page. i can only view my first page of decks. i cant get to the other ones for some reason. when i click on a different page it says no results were found. i dont know if this is the thread i should be posting on or if i should post something in bugs. please help if you can. really like the new system though. =)
Posted 21 February 2010 at 20:48

I am in agreement with hipponox on both counts, one that the new system is pretty epic, and two that I can't access my second page of decks.

The mana curve stat is also off as it doesn't count the number of cards that cost a certain cmc, just the number of different cards.
Posted 21 February 2010 at 21:05

Am just speaking to Gary to see if he's fixed the non-existant second page of decks! If not, i'll fix it in the next 15mins

Cheers
Posted 21 February 2010 at 21:22

Hurray!!!!!!
Posted 21 February 2010 at 21:26

[quote=Talkyn]The mana curve stat is also off as it doesn't count the number of cards that cost a certain cmc, just the number of different cards.[/quote]

Hey, can you link me to an example of this where you think it's wrong?
Posted 21 February 2010 at 21:32

[QUOTE=hipponox]Hurray!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Next pages should work now :-)

Ian
Posted 21 February 2010 at 21:41

yep they are working now. thanks! :D
Posted 21 February 2010 at 21:48

http://mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=45339

Example is the one mana spot, there are two goblin bushwackers, so the one mana spot should say at least two, however it doesnt. Besides, those percentages totaled doesn't even come close to 100
Posted 21 February 2010 at 23:18

Oh dear, there is something very wrong there isn't there, doh! I'll take a look..
Posted 21 February 2010 at 23:21

Right, silly mistake by me (poor maths). :o

Can you take a look at your deck now and see if that's any better?
Posted 21 February 2010 at 23:40

I do seem to have an issue here. On dual-colored cards, sometimes they show up as both under the "mana symbol occurence" and sometimes it only shows up under one. take a look.

http://mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=44954

http://mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=33880

see what im talking about? Unmake is in both, but only in one is it recognized as both black AND white. bizarre. evershrike and voracious hatchling are the same way.
Posted 22 February 2010 at 01:28

I don't know if it's just me or what, but when I went to type a post it didn't add all the [enter]'s I hit, and I hit a lot of them. So when I went to post the critic, it looks like a giant wall of text and looks horrible to read. I was wondering if the posts now support some kind of html or if maybe I missed something upon posting haha. Thanks in advance....
Posted 22 February 2010 at 02:44

I noticed that cards that have an X cost aren't on the stats for the Mana curve. either that or they're on a part of the curve that they shouldn't be on. you think that you could put a separate mana curve category for X cards?
Posted 22 February 2010 at 05:35

also on the new style, pressing enter doesn't do anything. I want to be able to separate paragraphs in my comments
Posted 22 February 2010 at 06:23

we will take a look in the next hour - hopefully the line breaks are in the d/b and it's just not outputting them correctly.

any that are bad, let me know (DeckID pls!) and i'll fix them manually.

Cheers
Posted 22 February 2010 at 08:10

Fixed the line break problem.

Cheers
Posted 22 February 2010 at 09:36

[quote=ABoyBrushedRed]I do seem to have an issue here. On dual-colored cards, sometimes they show up as both under the "mana symbol occurence" and sometimes it only shows up under one.[/quote]

I think I've got this one now! ;)

[quote=whitey_mcfly;4954]I noticed that cards that have an X cost aren't on the stats for the Mana curve. either that or they're on a part of the curve that they shouldn't be on. you think that you could put a separate mana curve category for X cards?[/quote]

Does everybody else agree with this one? Most other mana curve's I've seen do not show X cost cards as technically X doesn't cost anything until you make a decision to pay something for it... However, if this is a want, I'll change this.

EDIT: Example of Fireball in a deck - http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=45466
Posted 22 February 2010 at 09:55

thanks for all the hard work! its looking great. the only real request i would have past this is a card preview rollover state in the deck lists. is/was that ever in the works?

thanks guys!
Posted 22 February 2010 at 15:18

[QUOTE=atebit]thanks for all the hard work! its looking great. the only real request i would have past this is a card preview rollover state in the deck lists. is/was that ever in the works?

thanks guys![/QUOTE]

Hi Atebit

Do you mean a bit like this? http://www.wowtcgvault.com/CardSearch.aspx - hover over the mini card image

Obviously, there are slightly more cards in MTG (16k?) than WoW, so not sure if we have all the images yet! We are working on our own card pages (to replace magiccards.info), so could do a card roll over as well.

Cheers
Posted 22 February 2010 at 15:28

yeah - that would be brilliant!!!!! thanks for the response :)
Posted 22 February 2010 at 18:57

I like a lot of the changes thus far, but yeah I was confused on the rating system. How many ratings is enough to get a star score on the top?
Posted 22 February 2010 at 21:22

[QUOTE=Zamfir]I like a lot of the changes thus far, but yeah I was confused on the rating system. How many ratings is enough to get a star score on the top?[/QUOTE]

Hi Zamfir - at the moment it's 10 votes and at the moment, no one has enough (at least when I looked a few hrs ago).

To put it into context, the old system had around 25,000 votes in just under a year, so we may have to tweak this to 5 for the time being! (I've coded it so we can adjust the required on the fly).

Cheers
Posted 22 February 2010 at 21:25

Just updated the DeckSearch page - it's now actually useful!

Main thing to note is you can search by CARD NAME - so you can find all decks with a specific card you are interested in!

Also added filters for deck type and colours. It is also ordered by newest first, so it's an easier way to keep track of all the new decks and check out replies, style etc :-)

Enjoy
Posted 22 February 2010 at 21:57

Good work Ian. I think 5 would suit well, considering the levels of activity throughout a day. Mtgvault is only getting bigger =]
Posted 22 February 2010 at 22:13

Good job on the deck search... though my all important 5 second tweak of adding a line break between the black and red mana checkboxes are what make the page, lets be honest... ;)
Posted 22 February 2010 at 22:29

One thing I've noticed is that I can never see my own decks in searches, or even under new decks whenever I make them. Can that change?
Posted 23 February 2010 at 22:07

Great work here Gary!

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
Posted 23 February 2010 at 23:03

[QUOTE=ABoyBrushedRed]One thing I've noticed is that I can never see my own decks in searches, or even under new decks whenever I make them. Can that change?[/QUOTE]

yCan you link me to an example deck? Dont mean to sound patronizing but, You are changing them to finished from WIP, yea?

Ian
Posted 24 February 2010 at 00:00

something that I get annoyed by is that I don't know who makes what decks when I first see them. you think that you can post the author of the deck as well as the name of the deck?
Posted 25 February 2010 at 20:09

Where? On the homepage? There's not a whole lot of space over there.. :(
Posted 25 February 2010 at 21:05

well I'm just thinking counter-troll right now. I mean, if a deck is made by a troll, you can know that and ignore it. If it's made by someone who is extremely involved, you know that this deck may be interesting.

try shortening the borders around the main text square. that will make some room
Posted 25 February 2010 at 21:19

also maybe you can make it so that you can delete any comments on your own decks.
Posted 25 February 2010 at 23:31

You could always just use the deck search page instead of the homepage block - they show the same thing. The deck search is ordered by creation date, so the top 15 on there should be exactly the same as the top 15 newest on the homepage.

Plus you'd be able to see what type of deck and who created it :-)

As for deletion of comments on your decks; please report them and they will be dealt with accordingly. We didn't want to let deck owners remove any comments, as you'd get some users that will abuse this....
Posted 26 February 2010 at 09:51

well, ultimately isn't up to the deck's owner as to whether a comment is pertinent or not?

don't really see the potential for abuse here and it would allow users to clean up decks cluttered with "it's good, now check out my decks!!!" comments that are, quite frankly, totally useless.
Posted 04 March 2010 at 20:04

Tis true I guess, I think our reasoning behind it was that if somebody left some valid critisism on the deck that would be useful to readers trying to build/work on the deck and the owner didn't like the critisism, that useful information could be lost. If I spent the time looking at somebody's deck and put together a thoughtful/helpful post to try and better that deck and my comment got removed just like that, I'd find it a little annoying.

However... We're open to people's thoughts and at the end of the day, it's you guys that are using the system! What does everybody else think; should you be able to delete any comments on a deck if you're the owner of the deck?
Posted 04 March 2010 at 23:36

well now I don't care as much. The trolls that have been parading this site seem to be gone now. I don't know if that has anything to do with you guys, but I'm satisfied. so do whatever you want with that decision.
Posted 05 March 2010 at 00:07

How about a tag that the creator can use to say if this comment was helpful, or not?

So at least when a third person reads it, he can see what comments were actually useful to creator of that deck.
Posted 05 March 2010 at 00:11