Discussion Forum

Get your new deck types added here!

Hey guys,

I was just looking through the deck types list and noticed it might be getting a bit out of date. So... if you have noticed any deck types that are missing and that you think should be in the list let me know in here and I'll add them! :)

List of types to add

Mill
Graveyard-Based
Life Drain
Aggro
Leveler
EDH
Singleton
Zoo
Experimental

Current Types
Other...
Burn
Casual Play
Combo-Based
Control
Creature-Based
Creatureless
Discard
Fast Mana
Fun
Highlander
Horde
Land Destruction
Life Gain
Multi-Player
Rogue
Stompy
Theme-Based
Tournament Quality
Trash
Tribal
Weenie
Article Deck
Artifact
Prison
Mill
Graveyard-Based
Life Drain
Aggro
Leveler
EDH
Singleton
Zoo
Experimental
Posted 18 April 2010 at 20:46

Mill is one that I have repetitively made and have been disappointed to leave uncategorized.
Posted 18 April 2010 at 21:01

[QUOTE=whitey_mcfly]Mill is one that I have repetitively made and have been disappointed to leave uncategorized.[/QUOTE]

You beat me to it. I was about to say mill.
Posted 18 April 2010 at 21:09

I think what I'll do is build up a couple of days worth in a list in my first post then add them in bulk in a day or two.
Posted 18 April 2010 at 21:17

I'm not sure if this is put under any other deck type, but reanimator?
Posted 18 April 2010 at 21:22

What about Red/white decks and Vampire decks that run both burn and lifegain? what would you classify that as?
Posted 18 April 2010 at 22:30

[QUOTE=Sully_72]What about Red/white decks and Vampire decks that run both burn and lifegain? what would you classify that as?[/QUOTE]

Life Drain and Aggro. That's 2 that I want added also.
Posted 18 April 2010 at 23:08

i think it's importance to differentiate deck TYPES and deck ARCHETYPES..

types: control, combo, mill, etc

archetype: boros, jund, vamps, goblins, etc..
Posted 19 April 2010 at 00:53

"Leveler" is quickly becoming a popular deck type. Throw that one in there.
"EDH", even though we have a "Highlander" type. Just to differentiate.
Posted 19 April 2010 at 03:24

[QUOTE=MajinKirby]"Leveler" is quickly becoming a popular deck type. Throw that one in there.
"EDH", even though we have a "Highlander" type. Just to differentiate.[/QUOTE]

what IS the difference? all my highlanders are EDH.
Posted 19 April 2010 at 03:42

[QUOTE=Seras]i think it's importance to differentiate deck TYPES and deck ARCHETYPES..

types: control, combo, mill, etc

archetype: boros, jund, vamps, goblins, etc..[/QUOTE]

If this gets done, I say that the archetype must be optional.

Also not sure if I should ask this here, but when I use the Bulk Import feature (I'm loving it) and click on "Return to deck", I have to click on "Edit This Deck" to continue making the deck, why?
Posted 19 April 2010 at 06:58

mill
singleton
random cards i own and made into a deck
zoo instead of creature based
maybe an experimental catagorie
Posted 19 April 2010 at 08:03

also i agree having to go back to click edit this deck is annoying
just a minor tweek
bulk importer rocks!
new random decks rocks
site rocks...
also a small request or suggestion:
it wood be cool to have a mainboard, sideboard, and a section for cards you are considering
so that people could see them and post their thoughts
Posted 19 April 2010 at 08:06

[QUOTE=DedWards]If this gets done, I say that the archetype must be optional.

Also not sure if I should ask this here, but when I use the Bulk Import feature (I'm loving it) and click on the link that goes back to the deck, I have to click on "Edit This Deck" to continue making the deck, why?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing that - in future please post a thread in the suggestions/bugs forum for problems like that :) I'll add it to our dev list.

Back on topic now please folks! :p
Posted 19 April 2010 at 08:32

[QUOTE=DedWards]If this gets done, I say that the archetype must be optional.[/QUOTE]

I think my post may have been a bit confusing

I was not suggesting an extra "archetype" category for decks but rather pointing out that ppl shouldn't suggest deck "types" that aren't actually types but rather archetypes.

ex: red/white and vamps are not deck types.
Posted 19 April 2010 at 11:45

aggro is a good one to add
Posted 19 April 2010 at 14:44

I'm adding the deck types to the list as we get them so if you disagree with any on the list make it known before I add them to the site in a couple of days! ;)
Posted 19 April 2010 at 21:17

[QUOTE=Seras]I think my post may have been a bit confusing

I was not suggesting an extra "archetype" category for decks but rather pointing out that ppl shouldn't suggest deck "types" that aren't actually types but rather archetypes.

ex: red/white and vamps are not deck types.[/QUOTE]

I misunderstood youand I agree with you here.
Posted 20 April 2010 at 08:05

Dredge is one I would like added and reanimator (I know that is is said already),they could be under a type called graveyard-based, to make the list smaller as combo-based (there is a huge amount of subtypes under this) already is present.
Posted 20 April 2010 at 15:19

yes, graveyard-based is a great example of using the type to cover several subtypes/archetypes.

+1
Posted 20 April 2010 at 18:33

I think people are going over board on this. There are deck TYPES and Archetypes. TYPES should be what matter: Not Boros, Dredge Zoo, etc etc.

These are Types:
Creature Based
Control
Combo
Aggro
Graveyard Based
Etc Etc

Your Archetype SHOULD be what your Deck is called.

My 42 Land Deck is CALLED 42 Lands because that IS the Archetype, what is its TYPE? Its Aggro. That is how people should do it... Such as naming their deck 'My Vampire Deck' and then having it listed as Type: Creature Based or Aggro. There are a million Archetypes and using them in place of a decks actual Type is really going to get out of hand. Reanimator is YES a Graveyard Based deck but it shouldnt have Reanimator as a Type, it should be Graveyard Based. Thats how people SHOULD post their decks, clearing stating what the Archetype of the deck is as the name followed by a Type that is very open and broad.
Posted 20 April 2010 at 20:34

ya...that's what we just said
Posted 20 April 2010 at 20:55

[quote=Seras]ya...that's what we just said[/quote]
I know, but if there is not an overwhelming response to the same issue... why pay attention to it? Im just supporting you.
Posted 20 April 2010 at 21:45

Ok, so Graveyard-based it is! ;)
Posted 20 April 2010 at 23:32

The new type = Youlostthegame.
Posted 21 April 2010 at 01:37

I agree but appreciate that "Prison" was added to the type list not too long ago and hope this is kept; otherwise decks like my pet deck Stax, which are functionally different from control, have no home :-(

(Also - thank you for adding Prison!)
Posted 22 April 2010 at 23:10

Please don't forget Tempo as an important type. For example, some Ramp decks are Tempo: they win by managing the pace of the game.

These would be two incredibly useful options that technically are not types:

Untyped (or Miscellaneous if you prefer)
Undecided

Folks like me could use "Undecided" when we're in the beginning stages of deck composition, to mark a deck which could be maybe aggro, maybe tempo, where we are not sure yet what Type is most appropriate.

We could store lists of cards under Miscellaneous. For example, "My Trade List" instead of My Deck could be put in Miscellaneous type, or "Cards I'm Considering as Options for my Stax deck" could be a Miscellaneous list (right now I have such a list stored as a Trash type deck, which isn't quite right).

Thanks so much for all you do! :)
Posted 23 April 2010 at 22:10

I think I like miscellaneous better, it covers those random deck types out there (a lot of aggro-combo is very difficult to just generalize, it all plays differently.)
Posted 28 April 2010 at 06:52

I think token-gen should be a type, I just don't see where that could go under with current categories.
Posted 29 April 2010 at 03:47

[quote=Airbard]I think token-gen should be a type, I just don't see where that could go under with current categories.[/quote]
Thats just under Aggro listing or Creature Based.
Posted 29 April 2010 at 03:55

Just want to revive this - is the list on the first post acceptable?

Cheers
Posted 02 June 2010 at 13:34

How about Standard, Legacy, Vintage, and Extended?
Posted 02 June 2010 at 14:41

This is for deck types, not formats.

Cheers

Ian
Posted 02 June 2010 at 14:48

Right

It's been a week and no one really replied (Thanks TFG tho!) so I've added the deck types that are listed in the first post.

Cheers

Ian
Posted 08 June 2010 at 12:00

Lately I have built a number of Spawn decks, and noticed there isn't a creature token deck option. Is there anything in the options I am not seeing that means the same thing?
Posted 21 June 2010 at 05:11

[QUOTE=Ardez]Lately I have built a number of Spawn decks, and noticed there isn't a creature token deck option. Is there anything in the options I am not seeing that means the same thing?[/QUOTE]

creature based, or swarm.
(here's hoping you remember your Coat of Arms for eldrazi swarm)
Posted 21 June 2010 at 08:16

How about a deck that relies on zendikar's quest cards-the Quest type

Metalcraft type
Infect
Posted 14 November 2010 at 10:23

poison would be nice especially with the new set out.
Posted 17 November 2010 at 16:03

Archmage Ascension deck, im building one right now and need some ideas

http://forums.mtgvault.com/showthread.php?t=3056
Posted 24 November 2010 at 17:46

Two that I would suggest are:

Deck Challenge and Extraction/Disabler

Deck Challenge is hopefully obvious. Extraction/Disabler is a deck type I've heard of/seen before and actually use myself. They are decks that win by picking apart an opponent's library and "Extract" or "Disable" their win conditions.
Posted 25 November 2010 at 04:21

Will take a look at adding all these new suggestions. Thanks guys.

Ian
Posted 25 November 2010 at 10:17

well im not sure wat to put this under but turbo fog decks dont seem to fit under any catagory
so maybe a stall deck catagory
Posted 08 December 2010 at 07:52

[QUOTE=drsmugles]well im not sure wat to put this under but turbo fog decks dont seem to fit under any catagory
so maybe a stall deck catagory[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the argument could be made that they'd be contol or prison...but Stall fits much better. Plus, a bunch of other decks could fall into that type.
Posted 08 December 2010 at 07:57

i'd like to add to the suggestions by saying "infect" is definitely a deck-type. its win conditions and they way it plays are quite different from most decks.

however, don't fall into the trap of putting every single infect deck under one banner.

the three archetypes should suffice:

infect/control
infect/aggro
infect/combo

then you've got all your bases covered.
Posted 17 February 2011 at 11:36

one problem with that: that implies every single alt-win con out there needs its own deck type specification. That's just too much. If you're planning on winning by infecting someone, say so in the comments or the title, but it really doesn't need to be a broad deck type.

Speaking of, how many deck types are we looking to have total? There's such a thing as too much.
Posted 17 February 2011 at 12:39

I've been playing for a while now, but i've never really known that there were specific deck types, I just always called them the name of what they did, like soldier deck or discard, or dragon, or ect...
but just to clarify what do these mean exactly?
Mill
Aggro
Leveler
EDH
Singleton
Zoo
Experimental

I understand what the obvious ones are like life drain or creature base, but the ones like mill or edh and singleton and stuff i dont know what they mean. And believe aggro means aggressive, but im not sure for that.
Posted 17 February 2011 at 16:03

Mill: the action of moving cards from the library to the graveyard.(also used for deck based around this mechanic)

EDH: Elder Dragon Highlander, special game format http://mtgcommander.net/rules.php (was renamed to 'commander' by wizards recently).

Singleton: deck format where only one copy of each card is allowed(except for basic lands)
Posted 17 February 2011 at 16:28

Thank you for clearing that up for me, I built my decks on here and was confused about all the different deck types they had. So if I play vintage I can only have a couple different specific deck types that they give me on here since some of the types are actual different rules for playing, correct?
Posted 17 February 2011 at 16:34

yes some are based on different formats rather than a specific strategy
Posted 17 February 2011 at 16:51

Updated the first post to include the current deck types! Good feedback peeps, keep it up!

We WILL update this list one day - working on a few bigger things atm tho :)

Ian
Posted 18 February 2011 at 13:25

[QUOTE=NightLoki]one problem with that: that implies every single alt-win con out there needs its own deck type specification. That's just too much.[/QUOTE]

well... mill is an alternate win-con and it has its own deck-type.

an honest-to-goodness infect deck will function and be build very differently from an equivalent non-infect deck.

i'm just saying, the whole deck philosophies are different from normal.

it's worth at least having "poison" in there at the very least, even if the admins consider "infect" to be too broad.

also it's worth considering that poison represents one of the few ways that you can actually win the game. life being 0, no cards to draw, or 10 poison counters, or some specific card mechanic.... that's fairly key.
Posted 18 February 2011 at 19:31

Not an archetype suggestion, but preexisting archetypes really should be sorted alphabetically.

Either that or organizing deck archetypes within some sort of hierarchy:

Deck Type:

Formats:
Standard
Extended
Legacy
Vintage
Classic
EDH
Pauper
Singleton

Themes:
Aggro
Burn
Combo
Control
Discard
Extraction
Mill
Prison
Stall
Stompy
Tempo

Other:
Article Deck
Casual
Competitive
Experimental
Multi-player
Rogue
Tournament

etc..

EDIT:
Also, Infect is a gimmick, and gimmicks shouldn't be given a deck type. Much in the same manner, Leveler should be removed from the list (unless Leveler is an archetype I'm unfamiliar with, that doesn't have anything to do with the Level Up gimmick). However, having said that, poison counters are a win-con, and rare as it may be, that makes it worth a mention. Many decks can fit within different archetypes to varying degrees, just a matter of what user's want to use to represent their deck.

EDIT 2:
Also also, I just thought.. a Tagging system might be more appropriate, and would provide more relevance to meta search functions within the Vault.
Posted 14 May 2011 at 16:14

Awesome list, thanks for the hard work :D I will take a look at these and maybe use the drop down subcategories a bit like the set dropdown on the card search page.

Cheers
Posted 16 May 2011 at 20:43

It is an awesome list, and I love the whole idea. I would like to add in the deck type "Tempo" as well. Other than that...great idea.
Posted 16 May 2011 at 22:18

[quote=SavajCabbaj]EDIT 2:
Also also, I just thought.. a Tagging system might be more appropriate, and would provide more relevance to meta search functions within the Vault.[/quote]

YES. I want to do this, I really do. Another one of those things I kept pushing back because it wasn't vital, just a "nice to have". It will get done eventually! :P
Posted 17 May 2011 at 08:17

[QUOTE=Gary]YES. I want to do this, I really do. Another one of those things I kept pushing back because it wasn't vital, just a "nice to have". It will get done eventually! :P[/QUOTE]

It's a really cool feature, and opens some really powerful options for future overhauls to the search engine. Imagine the following scenario:

I'm trying to build an extraction deck (it's been in the back of my mind for a few days / weeks now, I'm horrible at maintaining temporal relevance in hindsight) but am fairly unfamiliar with what exactly makes that theme tick. If both decks and individual cards could be tagged by users, then I could take two approaches to find my niche.

The benefit to tagging cards (and perhaps the most powerful benefit to tagging search data in the Vault), I could go into the card search and search all cards tagged as "Extraction" and view a sorted list of what cards other players use in decks also tagged "Extraction." Top of the list being cards that appear with the greatest frequency.

Similarly, I could search for all decks tagged as "Extraction" and view what other tags those decks have been given, and quickly get an understanding of what other themes play nice with extraction.. a process that could take hours of otherwise sifting through every deck list I can find on the Vault and Google, to determine for myself what sub-themes are present.. the community can do that work for me through participating in what we already participate in.

There are of course other benefits, but just as an example ^-^ I'm all for the feature, if and when you want to implement it! It's features like this that truly underscore the "Vault" part of our community's namesake :D
Posted 18 May 2011 at 12:59

you cant forget new commander types
and on the east coast at least everyone carries around 30 card decks to sport different creatures like 3o card drake decks 30 card spider decks so you can use more specific card categories
Posted 28 July 2011 at 15:00

Dont know how relevant it would be but what about pauper decks, you know the decks that are made out of only commons
Posted 02 February 2012 at 17:54

[QUOTE=Jameson0830]Dont know how relevant it would be but what about pauper decks, you know the decks that are made out of only commons[/QUOTE]

I could have SWORN that Pauper was a decktype already...
Posted 03 February 2012 at 03:34

midrange, tempo, deck challenge repsonse, community project, , you should also be able to classify by format, limited, multiplayer, standard, legacy, extended, modern, pauper etc.
Posted 27 May 2012 at 01:16

Thanks for all the comments in here guys!

Just to let you know, in v3 I'm working on a tagging system so you can all add as many types/genres/colors/silly names to a deck as you like. This will allow for better search results by filtering, allow you to have multiple types stored against a deck and the best part is we won't have to keep to a strict list of deck types because you can add anything you like as a tag! :)
Posted 27 May 2012 at 10:48

What about token or an infinite loop? I never know what to categorize them as.
Posted 15 June 2012 at 05:12

Closing thread. V3 allows you to tag decks with as many keyword tags as you like instead of a single deck type, thus nullifying the need to add types to the list!
Posted 16 June 2012 at 16:39