Discussion Forum

Extended Format rule changes from July 1st 2010

From Wizards website:

[quote]
Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules Change: Extended
On July 1, 2010, the following sets will leave the Extended format: Ninth Edition, Mirrodin, Darksteel, Fifth Dawn, Champions of Kamigawa, Betrayers of Kamigawa, Saviors of Kamigawa, Ravnica: City of Guilds, Guildpact, Dissension, and Coldsnap. From that point forward, the Extended format will include approximately four years of Magic sets instead of seven.
[/quote]

That's quite a few cards its going to be dropping out....

Opinions? I'm not really an active player, but I get the feeling it's not going to be too popular!!

Also I'm guessing there's gonna be a slight crash in prices of some of the popular cards :S

Here's the original article link: June 18 2010 DCI Banned & Restricted List Announcement
Posted 21 June 2010 at 08:29

oh hey look Extended is dropping out all the cards until timespiral... right after i quit(due to no one near me playing).

I do think it's a bit much of a drop, but that's only because they're dropping 3 blocks rather than a constantly rotating 1.

Of course, they don't want Mirrodin and Scars of Mirrodin in standard and extended simultaniously. Too many artifacts to drop out that are way too powerful.
Posted 21 June 2010 at 08:36

I absolutely hate it but I understand it. I think they are trying to open up extended to more people. Instead of trying to get cards from 7 years of Magic, you only have to do 4. Much easier to do for people.
Posted 21 June 2010 at 16:10

As much as I understand and agree with their reasons for doing this, it still makes me sad. Most of my collection is from the Kamigawa or Ravnica blocks.
Posted 22 June 2010 at 05:56

horrible decision, throwing tons of cards into the "not competitive in the broken monstrosity that is vintage/legacy, the only format in which they are legal", including about 70% of my card collection.

guess i'll stick to no-format casual games from now on.

oh, and cancel my plans to start a Magic Online account
Posted 30 June 2010 at 18:29

[QUOTE=Seras]oh, and cancel my plans to start a Magic Online account[/QUOTE]

that's actually a good thing, magic online sucks. I played for a while, I hated the mentality, I have 3000 cards just sitting there. You buy air. It's still better to spend a rediculous amount of money on paper cards then it is spending it on virtual cards.

And yes the new extended format sucks. Extended was fun.
Posted 01 July 2010 at 07:58

The reality is that Magic The Gathering has change a lot through the years. 7 years of Magic The Gathering is too much and too powerfull. Extended will become a massive and nasty thing with Mirrodin Block and the latest editions of magic. Seeing things like Tooth and Nail + Eldrazi will be common things. How to change things like this. WoTC just took the step to stop this.

Many of us are not happy about it. Others maybe will be happier. Since they will not have to suffer from things as hateful as a 4th of 5th turn Tooth and Nail with 2 Legendary Eldrazi= game, Or Combo Decks with infinite removal, Direct Damage, discarding, mill. This things will be common. And the arsenal for the older gamers will be nasty. How to cover up the real situation. We just heard it.

At least this is my opinion.
Posted 01 July 2010 at 20:05

Tooth and Nail, as well as all Mirrodin, was rotating out anyway, what they've done is also kick out kamigawa, ravnica and ice age, which have not been around for 7 years.
Posted 05 July 2010 at 02:54