Discussion Forum

Need input on a new version of 5cc

So this is a new version of 5cc that I am working on. I have been playing cruel control and it is a lot of fun, but I want to include some of the new powerful cards from ARB.
http://www.mtgvault.com/EditDeck.aspx?DeckID=18875&DeckCardID=342920
Creatures
3x Broodmate Dragon
2x Cloudthresher
4x Mulldrifter
4x Bloodbraid Elf
2x Wall of Reverence
Enchantments
1x Maelstrom Nexus
Land
1x Island
1x Mountain
2x Swamp
2x Cascade Bluffs
2x Exotic Orchard
1x Mystic Gate
4x Reflecting Pool
2x Sunken Ruins
2x Twilight Mire
3x Vivid Crag
3x Vivid Creek
1x Vivid Grove
2x Vivid Marsh
Spells
4x Bituminous Blast
4x Cryptic Command
3x Esper Charm
1x Path to Exile
1x Terminate
3x Volcanic Fallout
1x Remove Soul
2x Cruel Ultimatum

Sideboard
4x Scepter of Fugue
2x Burrenton Forge-Tender
2x Negate
1x Remove Soul
2x Ajani Vengeant
2x Infest
2x Wrath of God

Comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that I will actually be running this deck and I don't want b.s input, and no crap about how expensive the deck is (apparently some people don't like expensive decks).
Posted 15 May 2009 at 03:52

ok, no bs input, no complaining about deck price bein too expensive, got it.

one: maelstrom nexus is not going to help. ever. it's not gonna work until your opponent's turn, when you have to have mana leftover to play a spell in order to use it to its fullest. not worth it.

bah, screw the list, the one-ofs confuse me a lot, I feel that you should stick with one removal spell (pulse being a really good option.) I like the fallouts, I like the cruels, i like the broodmates, the cascade option's gonna be something we see more, but bituminous into a cryptic or another counterspell isn't usually that great (unless you plan out your casting right. hmmm). No Banefire? Well, that's a personal option, it's not really necessary considering all you've got here. Seems good, doesn't look like there's enough countermagic to get yourself there though, though I don't blame you not wanting to cascade into a broken.
Posted 28 May 2009 at 00:33

I appreciate the honest input. So I put in 1 remove soul just for shits, and its something I don't mind drawing every once in a while, but I don't want to draw it often. As for the maelstrom nexus, Its the same deal as the remove soul but I have found it useful and fun. I do try to wait until they cast someting to cast bituminous incase I do hit a cryptic, however if I hit it and they didn't, I can always bounce something and draw a card. The reason there is 1 path and 1 terminate is because I wanted some cheap spot removal, but I want variety so that I don't give my opponent more than one land, and incase of protection. I have found that cloudthresher is either a side board card, or I need to alter my mana base a little to play it more consistently. I am thinking I am going to drop 2 scepters in side board for something else, though Im not sure what yet. I tried dropping white out of here for a more aggro feel, but I don't like it as much. The reason I don't have as much counter majic is I plan on controlling with the removal and such. I am thinking about dropping a terminate, and a remove soul for a couple pulses and putting the other 2 in sb (I think you're right about it, and it's too good not to have in here. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
Posted 28 May 2009 at 03:41