Discussion Forum

New autocomplete on card search

Hiya

I've added a jQuery autocomplete onto the card search page. It will check what you are typing into the box and display a list of upto 25 matching results. (based on SQL %searchterm%)

Once you've found what you want, clicking on the result or pressing enter will populate the textbox with the correct name. Then you can apply your filters if you wish and press enter to search as usual.

Any comments / suggestions on what to make it better are appreciated!

I'm looking at updating the deck creation process using jQuery, so any suggestions for that are also welcome. I've got a few ideas (drag n drop!), but still need to actually get it working ;)

Oh, and if you have javascript turned off - none of the above will work. Sorry!

Cheers

Ian
Posted 21 September 2010 at 09:24

Sweet! Although I always am in the habit of typing the full names of the cards when I search them, so that they appear that way the next time I search them. Now I wont have to! :)
Posted 21 September 2010 at 12:24

one thing that ive found annoying is theres a couple cards that arent in your database

ie mana crypt

dont really know how many more are missing
just giving you heads up
Posted 21 September 2010 at 14:07

works like a charm, very helpful feature Ian, thanks!!
Posted 23 September 2010 at 12:33

Personally not a fan of this feature in it's current form. I search by partial terms (knowing that by typing Myr, I'll receive a full list of cards with Myr in their name.. or more importantly, searching for only a limited selection of card text, if the specific card text is unknown). The autofill list automatically selects the first item in the list, and if enter is pressed before removing focus from the text box, the desired text is removed from the text box and replaced with the text of the first item in the list. By removing focus from the text box, I'm unable to simply press enter to initiate the search, adding extra redundant steps which become frustrating when making a possible 50+ searches to design a deck.

Could you tweak this a little bit, so that the autofill feature does not replace text unless physically clicked to do so? The concern here is that currently, the cursor position will grant focus to an item in the autofill list, and pressing enter will select that item. Those items should be selectable by mouse click only.

Thanks for all the work you put into this site! This could be a potentially useful feature, but currently I find it more frustrating than helpful :3
Posted 25 September 2010 at 23:48

I will have to take a look at making enter not submit. In the meantime, i'll add a checkbox to turn it on and off, default will be on. Is that okay? ;)

I'm also looking at completely redoing the deck building process, just collecting a few ideas with Gary atm. So it may not even last anyway!

Ian
Posted 26 September 2010 at 20:07

[QUOTE=Ian]I will have to take a look at making enter not submit. In the meantime, i'll add a checkbox to turn it on and off, default will be on. Is that okay? ;)

I'm also looking at completely redoing the deck building process, just collecting a few ideas with Gary atm. So it may not even last anyway!

Ian[/QUOTE]

Where will this checkbox be?
Posted 30 September 2010 at 04:54

I think I know how to fix the "enter" problem, so won't need to add it. Will carry on having a look tonight :)

Ian

-Edit

Scrap that. Fixed it. The first row will now NOT auto select, so typing "Myr" and pressing enter will search for just card with "myr" in them, as before. I think that solves the problem?

Cheers
Posted 30 September 2010 at 08:07

Awesome! Thanks for the fix :D It works wonders now.

Regarding a complete overhaul to the search engine / deck building process.. any chance you're planning to include multiple queries? Such as "Card Name" and/or "Card Text" and/or "Casting Cost / CMC"... etc.. I think the search engine works just fine as is, but sometimes there are multiple queries I'd like to be able to enter when I just can't place which card I'm looking for.. and don't have enough information to refine my search.

I've actually gathered quite a few ideas about this, but I'll wait until/if you open a thread specifically for that. :)

Peace!
Posted 02 October 2010 at 15:46

[QUOTE=SavajCabbaj]Awesome! Thanks for the fix :D It works wonders now.

Regarding a complete overhaul to the search engine / deck building process.. any chance you're planning to include multiple queries? Such as "Card Name" and/or "Card Text" and/or "Casting Cost / CMC"... etc.. I think the search engine works just fine as is, but sometimes there are multiple queries I'd like to be able to enter when I just can't place which card I'm looking for.. and don't have enough information to refine my search.

I've actually gathered quite a few ideas about this, but I'll wait until/if you open a thread specifically for that. :)

Peace![/QUOTE]

Whenever I'm searching for cards to put into my decks, I just use Gatherer to find it. Contains all the queries you could ever want. here's the link:
gatherer.wizards.com
Posted 02 October 2010 at 16:02