Discussion Forum

New Homepage & More...

As you can probably see we've changed the homepage a bit... about time, right?! It now shows a rolling "top decks" overview. I'm still working on it so I'll spend too long explaining it here but basically decks now have a score, this score is a combination of things to do with the deck, the deck's content and the user's that have built and are commenting on and liking it. Once a deck gets a score of 50 (at the moment) it will be made "popular" and appear at the top of the homepage, once the next deck becomes popular this one will get shunted down and so on (please note that paging will be added later so you can scroll back through the history).

The "upcoming" page will show decks that are on their rise to fame (the homepage) by showing any decks that have had activity in the last 7 days and this list is ordered by decks score first and then date of last activity second. This page will help good new content get to the homepage, which is exactly what we all want.

The view deck page now shows the deck score and a button to like it and whilst we were there we added deck colours and deck type to the top.

Anyway, back to it, I'll update you in here if I have more news about the progress. If you spot any bugs or have any opinions you wish to share, please do so in here.

Cheers,

*UPDATE*

We've had our first case of cheating on the new top decks system so I thought it is time to explain the rules. First of all, yes, we can now easily spot cheating and we have various tools to help us spot decks that shouldn't be in the top decks list so you have been warned! We even have a way of dealing with them now too; if it happens once, I'll remove that one deck from the homepage, if it happens twice, I'll remove all your decks from the homepage and if it happens three times, I'll close your account. Please don't do it, we will be watching. :P
Posted 28 October 2010 at 21:13

The new homepage is looking pretty ugly on Firefox 3.6.9
Posted 29 October 2010 at 09:02

Hi Snowball

That's a CSS issue because FF is caching it. Refresh a few times and it'll be fine. Unfortunately that'll happen I guess, not sure how we can force a new download as we don't have IIS control :(

Cheers
Posted 29 October 2010 at 11:29

As much as I like this update, I already miss the links to the forums' deck challenges, news, est. :(
Posted 29 October 2010 at 15:01

I think we underestimated the amount of people that used the forum links on the homepage! This weekend they should be getting their own page, maybe even a tab on the homepage! Sorry for any inconvenience caused in the mean time!

Cheers

Ian
Posted 29 October 2010 at 16:17

I've added a News page and a Deck Challenges page which are linked to from the main menu on the left. News is as it was before but minus the deck challenges which now have a page of their very own. Hopefully this is sufficient for you guys to get the info you need without having to go all the way to the forums! :p
Posted 31 October 2010 at 16:03

Back to the update and the top decks scoring system...

We can clearly see cheating going on and we're working on a decent solution, the beauty of this system is that we can see EXACTLY what's going on, if somebody cheats their deck to the homepage then we can see it because, well... it's on the homepage! :p

I'm trying to decide wether we fix the bug and give the decks some sort of negative score to counter-act the cheating (yes I know how it's done - I wrote the scoring system, remmeber?) or wether we leave it in place and highlight the decks somehow so everybody can see the deck and the cheater who put it on the homepage, hmm! :cool:
Posted 31 October 2010 at 16:17

I love the fact that we can see the cheaters now, and it makes me feel a bit like we should put them on trial, point them out - we all want to get out decks to the homepage and get people to see them, but if we all respect each other and do it in an appropriate manner I'm sure we'll all get a chance and hopefully all get some really good deck ideas in the process.

Keep up the good work Gary & Ian, loving all the updates that have been happening recently :)
Posted 01 November 2010 at 22:10

Oh gary, i think it would be great if you cna inculde 2 types of decks in the homepage. One is "popular" another is "competitive standard". This way we can see the good competitive decks and also the fun decks at the same time.
Posted 23 December 2010 at 07:31