Discussion Forum

Top Decks List

I dunno if this counts as a bug exactly, but its definitely a problem with the new system for the Top Decks List. The deck

Unbeatable Slivers (60 cards) by A_Bond_Of_Hate
Deck link: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=99611

is a terrible deck, as just about everyone on the forums has remarked in the comments section. However, do to the huge amount of comments, this deck is on the top deck list even though almost every comment is against the deck. I posted the following comment:
I love how this deck needs some heavy improvement but because of all
the comments saying "this is bad, you gotta change ____ for ____"
It in on the top decks list... definitely a flaw in the system I think
*goes off to post about it on the forums*

I don't really see a way to fix this, besides having a good/bad option to choose when one is posting a comment on a deck.
Posted 22 November 2010 at 22:47

[QUOTE=raggedjoe]I dunno if this counts as a bug exactly, but its definitely a problem with the new system for the Top Decks List. The deck

Unbeatable Slivers (60 cards) by A_Bond_Of_Hate
Deck link: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=99611

is a terrible deck, as just about everyone on the forums has remarked in the comments section. However, do to the huge amount of comments, this deck is on the top deck list even though almost every comment is against the deck. I posted the following comment:
I love how this deck needs some heavy improvement but because of all
the comments saying "this is bad, you gotta change ____ for ____"
It in on the top decks list... definitely a flaw in the system I think
*goes off to post about it on the forums*

I don't really see a way to fix this, besides having a good/bad option to choose when one is posting a comment on a deck.[/QUOTE]

I both agree and disagree with you. While I agree that a "Top deck" is often going to be thought of as a paragon of deck building skills, and most of the time, it should be.

That said, I also think that it is good for a deck that needs a lot of work/attention to GET a lot of work/attention by going up to the front page. I also can't think of the best way to separate the "good" top decks from the "needs help" top decks, but I do think one thing that could be done for the moment is to call top decks "Decks worth noticing" or "Most active decks" or something of that matter.
Posted 22 November 2010 at 23:25

I guess that's the "problem" with this system, and I quote problem because like surewhynot I'm not entirely convinced it is one... The whole point of the new system was to get popular decks to the homepage so that we can show things to a wider audience. The decks we promote to the homepage are decks that have already had likes and good discussion going on so we know these decks are interesting in some form or another else people never would've left feedback etc in the first place.

It's a tough one and a valid concern, I guess it depends if people want to only see "good" decks in the top decks list or if they want to see popular decks, the problem you have then is... what IS a "good" deck? :P

Maybe we should rename the tab to "Popular Decks" as it could be a bit misleading as it is?
Posted 25 November 2010 at 10:29

[QUOTE=Gary]I guess that's the "problem" with this system, and I quote problem because like surewhynot I'm not entirely convinced it is one... The whole point of the new system was to get popular decks to the homepage so that we can show things to a wider audience. The decks we promote to the homepage are decks that have already had likes and good discussion going on so we know these decks are interesting in some form or another else people never would've left feedback etc in the first place.

It's a tough one and a valid concern, I guess it depends if people want to only see "good" decks in the top decks list or if they want to see popular decks, the problem you have then is... what IS a "good" deck? :P

Maybe we should rename the tab to "Popular Decks" as it could be a bit misleading as it is?[/QUOTE]

I think changing it to "Popular Decks" would be the most agreeable change (for now). It's a good compromise until, possibly later, a system that works for both interests is worked out.
Posted 25 November 2010 at 19:24