Discussion Forum

your best win.

i thought it would be interesting to see what sort of funny or just plain epic wins everyone has had when they're playing magic i'll start:

i was playing a two headed giant game with three of my buddies and i had forgotten my cards at home so i had built a random black deck out of my friends commons basically just an odd assortment of cards i threw together for the most part i looked for creature destruction just to have a chance xD and my friend was playing a life gain deck with afani goldmane and a whole bunch of crap baneslayers wall of reverence felidar sovereign all the decent life gain cards.
alright well i had three lands this is late in the game and i had gotten skrewed and i had two dark rituals my friend used ajani goldmane's ultimate and put out the token which was his life total and then used wall of reverence to double his life which made his life total double. now remember i'm using a crappy randomly made black deck and i dont remember half the cards i have in it the next card i draw. phthisis and if you don't know what that card does read it and you will realize the look on my friends face when i double dark ritualed to get it out of nowhere xD it was the best kill ever that i can remember i use that card in all of my mono black decks now XD he was soooo pissed xD
Posted 06 January 2011 at 11:41

one of my favourte wins was where i drew virtually my entire deck with primordial sage, and used overrun - fab moment!
Posted 06 January 2011 at 20:25

I was playing a deck at FNM that really wasn't anything special, or even up to the kinds of decks playing... Anyway, after using a fodder launch to kill something of my opponents, I passed the turn... he basically got rid of my other possible attacker on his turn, and set up this combo where none of my other attackers would get in.

He was sitting there, five life left...

I said "Well I guess I'm out of options"... draw... my face just goes blank.

"Um... Lava Axe?"

"....Yup, I guess that's game."

Haha, it was hilarious because I'm sure no one else in a tournament would ever run lava axe in a goblin/giant deck.
Posted 07 January 2011 at 05:36

Not a specific story, but a generality: my favorite way to win is to have my opponent concede. My favorite way to make that happen is to get "infinite" turns (like with Time Vault + Voltaic Key), or just demoralize him (like with Nevinyrral's Disk + Darksteel Forge).
Posted 07 January 2011 at 09:09

1st is when i used my monoblack control against an eldrazi ramp deck and he was on 18 when he cast kozilek to block my lich on the next turn. on my turn i cast sign in blood and ask him to draw 2 more cards!

2nd is when i was using my monored deck against an infect deck.my poison counter was on 7 and my opponent was tapped out with 20 life left and a creature to block while i only got 3 lands and kiln in play. my turn i bolt the creature and another bolt to the player and assault strobe my kiln for double strike.the kiln alone dealt 20 damage!
Posted 11 January 2011 at 04:43

[QUOTE=Aneximines]Not a specific story, but a generality: my favorite way to win is to have my opponent concede. My favorite way to make that happen is to get "infinite" turns (like with Time Vault + Voltaic Key), or just demoralize him (like with Nevinyrral's Disk + Darksteel Forge).[/QUOTE]

You have Time Vault, you lucky bastard :)

I actually enjoy the playing, the politics, the struggle, the interaction (action/reaction) far more then the kill. The game of putting constant pressure but still holding back a bit while testing your opponents endurance, see what he has in store for you, how impressive his moves are and what solutions you can come up with to keep yourself on top.
Posted 11 January 2011 at 09:06

Most memorable win was when I played a Wildfire deck at a round robin type 2 tournament at a local shop. I swept everyone with it that day. Didn't even have to use my side board.
Posted 15 January 2011 at 05:58

[QUOTE=Seth]You have Time Vault, you lucky bastard :)[/QUOTE]

Sure do :D

Made a deck around it before its final errata landed it on the banned/restricted lists (Final Fortune in an Isochron Scepter works with Time Vault under all of the wordings it's ever had). Having to go down to one Time Vault was a kick in the ribs to that deck, but it suddenly started working with Voltaic Key so I was happy on balance.
Posted 15 January 2011 at 08:22

I was at FNM with friends and it was an all out slugfest with a buddy. it came down to each of us having around 2 or 3 life each. I needed to pull a creature with haste or one of the burn cards i had in the deck, and all but a few were in my graveyard. I got really lucky because i pulled the best card i could have...BLITZ HELLION!!!! Did i forget to mention that he was fully tapped-out?

another good one was at the same FNM, it was late in the game, a friend played a Mycloth, and devoured 16 tokens. I top-decked into Sarkhan Vol, i used his -2 ability, grabbed his Mycloth, swung and hit it with a Colossal Might for the win!!!
Posted 17 January 2011 at 02:52

Dude was in a tournament, had a hot Elf deck, cruised to the final round. I beat him in 4 turns with my Goblins.

He cried.:p
Posted 16 February 2011 at 20:14

Hello all,
Last night at FNM I had an epic win 3rd turn with kuldotha red.
Guy I was playing ran Green Ramp Primeval.

First Turn
Mountain, Memnite, Memnite, Kuldotha rebirth.

Second Turn
Mountain, Double Quest for Pure Flame. Swing for 4 (his life 16)
----------------Second turn he Pyroclasmed and wiped board

Third Turn
Popped both of my Quest for Pure Flame and then doubled lightning bolted for 24 damage.
----------------->>> He GG'd and people around us was like, what just happened?

Deck Link Here: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=150506

Let me know what you think of my deck, I think I have some pretty original ideas and they helped me win my standard tourny last night.
Posted 19 February 2011 at 17:34

I was playing one of my old deck against a Sliver deck when they were big well, I got a couple packs of Time Spiral and got 2 Plague Slivers, so I thought for the game I would toss it in the sideboard when his sliver deck came up. Well, he was playing the deck the next game so I added it in. I had a Illusions of Grandeur and Donate deck with some black (yeah it was an old deck) but in my hand I drew a No Mercy, Donate and a Plague Sliver I thought for a second and was like Holy S--t! He already had like seven slivers out in play I was down to about 7 in life so I played No Mercy, then decided I would be nice and Donate to him, he gave me a look like I was crazy then out came the good old Plague Sliver. His whole deck was Slivers too, so every turn he had to sacrifice them before he could even attack and I ended up winning.
Posted 19 February 2011 at 17:49

My favorite win ever was when I talked my buddy Dan to giving up before we started and he didn't see my hand. It was just 2 island, a swamp, Jace, 2 Tome scours, & 2 mind funerals. It was awesome. He still hasn't lived it down.
Posted 21 March 2011 at 05:37

I guess, my best win was, well, the game board looked like this;
it was about turn 20. My opponent was at 50 something life, i was barely alive, all my big creatures were Arrested, but not that that was a problem, he had 3 Chronomantic Escapes Suspended each turn, which meant i couldn`t attack for the win even if i wanted. He had loads of my creatures under his control and he was attacking me with them constantly, so the creatures that i had available were only and just defending. Oh and he was constantly gaining life.

In that situation only 2 cards could have helped me to win the game, Victimize which i had in my hand still, i had 1 Arrested Kokusho in play and 1 Kokusho in the graveyard. Which meant if i Victimized the other Kokusho into play, they both go to the graveyard and my opponent`d lose 10 life. But how do i bring him down to 10 life? There was only one card i could have achieved that with - Sorin Markov.

Oh, what a lucky draw that was, Turn 21 and i cast Sorin Markov, which i just drew and what do you know, i use it`s 2nd ability to bring my opponent down to 10 life and i drop a Victimize to bring some lesser creature and the other Kokusho into play, my opponent loses 10 life, due to the Legend rule and i win the game.

Honestly there were many situations where he could have swinged for lethal, but i had a few cards in my hand, so he didn`t risk it yet.
That was one of the longest and most fun games i`ve had in a long time.

But, there was another fun game i remember, or rather, it was a slaughter. A 4 player FFO, I was playing my Polymorph deck, pulled out Emrakul on turn 2, and that was basically where the game ended.
On turn 3 i attacked the Bant player with Emrakul, and pulled out a Progenitus.
Turn 4 i finished off the Bant player with Progenitus and attacked the Elf Tribal player with Emrakul.
Turn 5 i finished off the Elf Tribal player and Emrakul attacked the third player, playing Faeries.
Turn 6 i swinged for the win. In betwean all that i lost a considerable amount of life, from the Faeries and Elfs, but as soon as i wiped their permanents off the battlefield, they became almost harmless. So i won!
Posted 21 March 2011 at 15:46

I was playing a 4 player free for all game and had a Noxious Ghoul in play.
All was about over for me as I was getting milled and chunked.
My last turn alive I drew a Necromancers Covenant =)
Then I exiled my own graveyard since it had the most creatures.
Noxious Ghoul swept the whole opposing field then everyone conceded lol.
I win x)
Posted 23 May 2011 at 10:13

I was playing a 4 player free for all game and had a Noxious Ghoul in play.
All was about over for me as I was getting milled and chunked.
My last turn alive I drew a Necromancers Covenant =)
Then I exiled my own graveyard since it had the most creatures.
Noxious Ghoul swept the whole opposing field then everyone conceded lol.
I win x)
Posted 23 May 2011 at 10:19

at an FNM, i was playing a mirror deck to my myr. i would say it was about 85% the same.

Anyways, we both managed to keep buying turns by putting out battlespheres and tempered steels. I mean, we both had 3 spheres out, 12 tokens, and a few other random mana myr. I don't know how we let it build up this much but, it got to where we both knew it was time to attack or it would be a stalemate. At the start of my turn (neither of us could defend flyers lol) i summoned flight spellbomb, sacd it to one of the battlespheres, and pumped it with all the untapped myr for a direct hit of 35 in the air..

it was a pretty random top deck to get the flight bomb...not to mention it was a last minute add to my myr deck right before the tourny started haha.
Posted 23 May 2011 at 16:19

My best win might have been with my Merfolk deck (http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=136497).

We were playing a five-man free-for-all game, and I was playing against some pretty good decks, especially compared to my okay Merfolk. As I wasn't much of a threat to anyone besides my life-gaining and token-generating, I was able to build up a fair bit...until I Day of the Dragons'd for 30 5/5 fliers...ended up sweeping the board. Felt pretty good.
Posted 30 May 2011 at 15:08

I have been trying to pull this combo out of my ally deck since new phyrexia got released when i would play it. Finally did it tonight and it was epic. All it took was a turntimber ranger and a xenograft. Played xenograft on turn 3 and named ally, Turntimber Ranger came in on turn 5 when I drew it. It infinitely spawned 2/2 wolf creatures and gave turntimber a +2/2, then +4/4, then +8/8, and so on...

My buddy was so pissed because he had me at 6 poison counters and 10 life while he was at 32. I showed him the seascape aerialist i was going to cast next turn and he conceded. :D

Good fun!
Posted 04 June 2011 at 09:39

I have had a lot of fun wins. One of my favorites happened recently, when I was playing my silly mill Urborg mill deck (I was loaning out a lot of cards that night, so couldn't play any of my 'real' decks).

It was the 5th round of FNM, and my opponent and I were both 3-1, trying to get 4-1 so we could have a chance at top 3. He was playing mono-green control (yes, I'm serious, it's a damn good deck haha) and of course I was running Archive Traps because they're an AMAZING mill card. Anyway, he was holding off, and holding off, he didn't want to cast his Green Sun because he knew I had at least one Archive Trap in hand. What he didn't know, was that I had drawn three in a row, and I had a Trapmaker's Snare in hand. I didn't need all 4, but the thought of being able to throw all 4 on the table was an amazing thought! He finally Green Sun'd up his Thrun... I could've leaked the Green Sun, but I figured I'd let him grab his Thrun.

As he finished shuffling and offered to let me cut (he's a good friend of mine I should add) I told him cutting wouldn't be necessary, and showed him the snare and the three traps. He put his hand down and just sighed at me. So much fun!
Posted 11 June 2011 at 11:49

My best win was in a 6 player group game. One of my friends pretty much took over the field with giant dragons. He killed 3 of the people playing in one turn. (I ran font of mythos) I then drew high tide, and freed from the real, produced infinite mana and used milled everyone for infinity with Ambassador Laquatis. I was going to die next turn if that didn't happen.
Posted 27 June 2011 at 22:43

2 lands all game paying lots of life for power attacking last land 3 at end to give me a win
Posted 30 June 2011 at 19:48

I think my most recent favorite win (I have horrible memory) was in a big game with around 6 people I believe and having 30 saprolings out due to my fungus deck and everyone was starting to see me as the biggest threat.

Then I draw Mycoloth and sacrifce all my tokens to make it a 64/64 hoping that no one would counter it. I then took out each opponent each turn with just the saprolings it produced when I could.
Posted 14 July 2011 at 15:56

I think my all-time favorite win was with my TES deck (http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=190527). On turn 1, I looped both IGG and DR, played Ad Naus, and generated a storm count of 18, then cast Empty the Warrens for 38 goblins and then cast Tendrils of Agony for 40 damage and 40 life.

Talk about an Epic storm ^_^
Posted 17 July 2011 at 01:01

quoting surewhynot here about a game he saw me play with my elf/druid deck:

'Opening hand: Forest, Gaea's Cradle, Nettle Sentinel, Llanowar Elves, Elvish Promenade, Evish Archdruid, and Heritage Druid.

Turn 1: Forest, Llanowar Elves

Turn 2: Draw Gilt-Leaf Archdruid. Gaea's Cradle, tap Forest --> Nettle Sentinel, tap Gaea's Cradle for GG --> Heritage Druid with G extra, tap Heritage, Nettle, and Llanowar to add GGG to pool for total of GGGG --> Elvish Promenade --> three 1/1 Elf Warrior tokens, tap the tokens to add GGG --> Elvish Archdruid.

Turn 3: Draw Arbor Elf, Play Gilt-Leaf Archdruid, Play Arbor Elf and draw Mul Daya Channelers, Play Mul Daya Channelers and Draw Llanowar Elves, Play Llanowar Elves and draw Zuran Orb, Play Zuran Orb, tap elves to take all lands, sac all lands stolen to Zuran Orb. Opponent scoops.'

:)
Posted 17 July 2011 at 08:49

[QUOTE=DoTheWumpus]quoting surewhynot here about a game he saw me play with my elf/druid deck:

'Opening hand: Forest, Gaea's Cradle, Nettle Sentinel, Llanowar Elves, Elvish Promenade, Evish Archdruid, and Heritage Druid.

Turn 1: Forest, Llanowar Elves

Turn 2: Draw Gilt-Leaf Archdruid. Gaea's Cradle, tap Forest --> Nettle Sentinel, tap Gaea's Cradle for GG --> Heritage Druid with G extra, tap Heritage, Nettle, and Llanowar to add GGG to pool for total of GGGG --> Elvish Promenade --> three 1/1 Elf Warrior tokens, tap the tokens to add GGG --> Elvish Archdruid.

Turn 3: Draw Arbor Elf, Play Gilt-Leaf Archdruid, Play Arbor Elf and draw Mul Daya Channelers, Play Mul Daya Channelers and Draw Llanowar Elves, Play Llanowar Elves and draw Zuran Orb, Play Zuran Orb, tap elves to take all lands, sac all lands stolen to Zuran Orb. Opponent scoops.'

:)[/QUOTE]

The poor bastard had the most dumbfounded look on his face too...Like you just killed his hamster or something :D
Posted 19 July 2011 at 08:37

I think my favourite win is from a game that's quite recent, where I was running my latest Doomsday deck. Mostly for the response my opponent gave me when I had to explain the shenanigans I was doing.

" I think I just pooed myself trying to follow this... "

The win in itself was a turn two kill involving a Sensei's Divining Top, Doomsday, and Infernal Contract.
Posted 19 July 2011 at 13:41

My favorite win was with my Wydwen the Biting Gale EDH deck with 3 other people. I don't remember all that happened, but it involved killing someone through Elspeth's Ultimate and Doubling Season with Massacre Wurm. I think I had a Primeval Titan under a Mimic Vat at one point too. oh the lands.
Posted 19 July 2011 at 15:35