Discussion Forum

New, how do I learn quickly?

I have a general knowledge about the game, how to play it, and some knowledge of the new sets, but there's so much more to learn. Where did you start? Should I just keep chugging along and learn as I go?
Posted 15 March 2011 at 01:27

[QUOTE=Bunny]I have a general knowledge about the game, how to play it, and some knowledge of the new sets, but there's so much more to learn. Where did you start? Should I just keep chugging along and learn as I go?[/QUOTE]

Thats actually a great reason to look at this site. Jesus Ive bee on about 3 weeks and already changed decks, & workin on more because of this site. New/old ideas rush in and birth new ones in your mind. To really learn play buy a couple older starter decks or old packs build decks even if they don't work just to learn. When I started I knew jack about the game 5yrs & 60 decks later I get it. I might not go win tournaments every week but Im a casual player.
Posted 15 March 2011 at 01:41

Re: How Do I Learn Quickly

Get your ass kicked by many different deck strategies.
Posted 15 March 2011 at 05:59

Thanks guys, 15 sets of cards is one pain in the ass to learn. I also need to learn all of the lingo and whatnot :p I'm taking baby steps.
Posted 15 March 2011 at 13:11

reading all the threads in the rulings section should be a great help in clarifying a lot of common mistakes.

as for learning all the cards..it's fine to just learn as you go, you don't need to know all the cards beforehand...just by playing you'll quickly learn all the cards your opponent's use...then once you get a bit more advanced you can start researching older sets when you build your next deck...just searching for things that might fit well
Posted 15 March 2011 at 13:51

[QUOTE=Seras]reading all the threads in the rulings section should be a great help in clarifying a lot of common mistakes.

as for learning all the cards..it's fine to just learn as you go, you don't need to know all the cards beforehand...just by playing you'll quickly learn all the cards your opponent's use...then once you get a bit more advanced you can start researching older sets when you build your next deck...just searching for things that might fit well[/QUOTE]

Just in the few weeks that I've been playing I've learned a lot. I guess it jsut takes practice and time. I'll read over the threads in that sextion, as per your advice. Thanks man!
Posted 15 March 2011 at 14:13

Definitely check out some of the articles, some of 'em hit some great notes as far as little things you can learn. The Competitive Edge is a personal favorite of mine actually (aside from my own column of course).
Posted 15 March 2011 at 15:14

play as much as possible, if possible watch some higher level games
Posted 15 March 2011 at 16:22

Alrighty. Can I find high level games on Youtube?
Posted 16 March 2011 at 00:22

http://www.channelfireball.com/ and youtube. Channelfireball's one of my favorite resources. If you look at dailymtg.com, they usually have videos of the top 8s of recent big tournaments (Grand Prixs and Pro Tours), so looking there's good too.
Posted 16 March 2011 at 20:42

Thanks man, I appreciate it!
Posted 17 March 2011 at 12:00

the only real way to learn to play is to play against people that are good and have years of experience. Find a good play group and you'll learn, articles help, forums help but nothing replaces the real thing.
Posted 17 March 2011 at 15:21

Seth's right. Nothing is better for learning the game better than playing with good players. This is sort of a rule of thumb for any game TBH...Put up the best fight you can, and don't get discouraged if you get your ass handed to you...you probably will. These guys have fine-tuned these decks of theirs over YEARS, so it should be no surprise that they'll win almost every time. But watching them play and defending yourself against them WILL make you better.

Welcome to the wonderful game of Magic :D
Posted 19 March 2011 at 03:48

Thanks guys :) I have a group of people that I play with on sunday and do some drafts with on a regular basis. I pulled a Tezzy yesterday :D
Posted 21 March 2011 at 12:03

As some of you may know, the hobbit is just starting principal photography...finally. I'm a HUGE Tolkien fan, so does anyone have any opinions about how the hobbits gunna turn out?

I preordered my lotr blurays a while ago, does anyone know when they'll come out?
Posted 23 March 2011 at 03:05

Whoa sorry, I thought I made that a new thread...whoops
Posted 23 March 2011 at 03:06