Discussion Forum

The "new" epic combo?

Okay so with Rise of Eldrazi & company cycling soon, the oh-so-popular Deceiver Exarch/Splinter Twin combo's going out too but my friend seems to have found a new insta- win combo that involves 3 cards (sure it's one more than Deceiver/twin but...) for when innistrad hits and it's basically an instant speed victory (almost).

Basically it involves Laboratory Maniac, Mirror-Mad Phantasm, and either Phantasmal Image, Phyrexian Metamorph, Cackling Counterpart, or anything else that copys/clones a creature.

Run Mirror-Mad Phantasm as a one of in a deck (birthing pod is the best way to tutor it out). Make a copy of it with either Phantasmal Image, Metamorph, or Cackling Counterpart, then activate the ability of the token/clone at the end of your opponents turn or when threatened. The clone card gets shuffled in (or the token gets exiled) then you mill your deck looking for another Mirror- Mad Phantasm then it's as easy as Untap - Upkeep - GG.

For added support, run Visions of Beyond for even more instant speed winning lol

Eh Props to my friend Kyle if it ever catches on. Bant pod could still be catchy after cycle haha.
Posted 11 September 2011 at 06:11

[QUOTE=Scotty1700]... The clone card gets shuffled in (or the token gets exiled) then you mill your deck looking for another Mirror- Mad Phantasm then it's as easy as Untap - Upkeep - GG.[/QUOTE]

well it's an all-or-nothing gamble that your opponent doesn't have removal waiting for your Laboratory Maniac, in which case it would be - GG, you lose.

it's a nice idea but I doubt it'll see much tournament play.
Posted 11 September 2011 at 14:44

True but once Mirror Mad's in play, you only need 2 mana to get the ball rolling. If they go to kill your guy in response you have at least 2 mana open for a mana leak at the very least.
Posted 12 September 2011 at 01:22

LOL, are people going to play Leveler now :)

I can see it now, play a looter or some draw mechanic, play Laboratory Maniac, play leveler, draw win.

The draw mechanic would make it more solid then waiting a turn to win. Grand Abolisher can help in that regard as well. Should be playable in Modern with Aether Vial on two vialing in Grand Abolisher and winning. Build on a Bant shell with Lotus Cobra for acceleration. (not saying it would be solid though :) )
Posted 12 September 2011 at 10:14

Honestly, you never know with these new Johnny cards...However that sounds like it could hold its weight with some fine tuning.
Posted 13 September 2011 at 07:07

Shit eh? Leveler is awesome with Lab Maniac haha!
Posted 20 September 2011 at 22:49

There's always the good old "Phyrexian Dreadnought + Stifle"-first turn combo or "Inkmoth Nexus + Blazing Shoal" second turn win that beats most other lame builds in lameness :)
Posted 08 October 2011 at 14:30