Discussion Forum

Planeswalker Points: The Opinion Thread

So, I'm curious to see what everybody's opinions on the new planeswalker points system are. I know everyone doesn't play FNM or tournaments or what have you, but I'm still interested even if you don't. So, let's hear 'em!

BTW, if you don't know what they are and want to learn, here's the link: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/PlaneswalkerPoints
Posted 22 September 2011 at 03:53

It's 100% pointless...what am I gonna do, gloat about how I'm level 29. Woohoo.....

I'd much rather the old reward system. Being a new player, I never actually GOT anything and by the looks of it I never will. Apparently wizards just doesnt' care and they're sending a shartey message.

Not like it cost them more than a whole .35 cent stamp, a buck worth of ink, and a buck worth of cardboard to reward their loyal customers. They make that money back in one FNM event.
Posted 22 September 2011 at 05:05

waitwait, are you talking about Player Rewards? I miss player rewards, but this and that aren't really comparable.
Posted 22 September 2011 at 05:35

It's good that people can play without fear of their rating dropping.
Posted 22 September 2011 at 08:56

I have consistently been screwed over by ELO rating systems in the past in almost every game they are applied to, including MTG.

I'm all for the new system, almost solely because it isn't ELO like it used to be.
Posted 22 September 2011 at 16:57

[QUOTE=NightLoki]waitwait, are you talking about Player Rewards? I miss player rewards, but this and that aren't really comparable.[/QUOTE]

How so? I mean I've never participated in any big events like GP, Pro tour, etc. but who really cares about your "ranking" if you get jack from it...based on what I know it's exclusively to gloat about being a higher level by having less of a life :|
Posted 22 September 2011 at 22:00

[QUOTE=Scotty1700]How so? I mean I've never participated in any big events like GP, Pro tour, etc. but who really cares about your "ranking" if you get jack from it...based on what I know it's exclusively to gloat about being a higher level by having less of a life :|[/QUOTE]

They're not Completely useless: according to wizard's website, pwp earn you invitations to invitation-only tournaments, give you free byes (free draws) in major tournaments, along with "other rewards" (couldn't find any specifics).

So nothing important if you aren't competitive, but a lot of people like having a number that proves that they are better than someone else.

Also, if you're looking for something that proves you have a life, MTG would not be my first recommendation.
Posted 23 September 2011 at 07:18

[QUOTE=SilverTabby]So nothing important if you aren't competitive, but a lot of people like having a number that proves that they are better than someone else.

Also, if you're looking for something that proves you have a life, MTG would not be my first recommendation.[/QUOTE]

I suppose you're right.
Posted 24 September 2011 at 04:20