Discussion Forum

Legality Deck Checker

I would like it if the vault checks weather or not the deck is legal, before posting, and won't let you post if it isn't. Recently I've seen a lot of decks that you would get kicked out of tournaments for having. I understand being funny, but these people are trying to pass it off as though cards should have never been restricted or banned.
Posted 24 September 2011 at 11:07

maybe just tell you what its legal in. that would be awesome because alotta people play for just fun and do not care about legality. it would be nice to know exactly how "legal" i am though.
Posted 24 September 2011 at 16:23

I do care, if you can't even follow simple rules, I believe you shouldn't be playing. I have casual friends who still follow the vintage ban list, casual and illegal are 2 different formats.
Posted 24 September 2011 at 17:31

Dude chill I run ban for vintage and all other formats as well. Just because some don't you shouldn't bite of their head. I mean no reason to ban em' for a deck their friends who they actually play are fine with. I'll admit a few of my friend run 4 copies of some limited cards. It's only a game if noboby messed around what is it EDH & 5 star varient wouldn't exist. I like playing to much to search all like 60 decks amongst my circle of players to scrutinize the little things.
Posted 26 September 2011 at 06:21

We do store legality against each card and at somepoint will pull it through onto the view deck pages (we are pending a redesign of that page, its a mess!).

The whole point of this site is to post decks for fun, so we will never limit what you can post. I mean take a look at this deck for example: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=12391 :)

Thanks
Posted 26 September 2011 at 14:26

[quote=MomirBiggsSimicFat]Dude chill I run ban for vintage and all other formats as well. Just because some don't you shouldn't bite of their head. I mean no reason to ban em' for a deck their friends who they actually play are fine with. I'll admit a few of my friend run 4 copies of some limited cards. It's only a game if noboby messed around what is it EDH & 5 star varient wouldn't exist. I like playing to much to search all like 60 decks amongst my circle of players to scrutinize the little things.[/quote]
I never said to ban it them. I mean have another drop down menu or something for the formats.
Posted 27 September 2011 at 19:06

[QUOTE=Try4se]I would like it if the vault checks weather or not the deck is legal, before posting, and won't let you post if it isn't.[/QUOTE]

This sounds like ban to me if not sorry my mistake I apologise.
Posted 27 September 2011 at 19:17

Maybe just have it as another classification, and maybe a format menu where the deck search button is.

casual
vintage
legacy
modern
extended
standard
edh
block
Posted 29 September 2011 at 03:08

don't forget Block!
Posted 29 September 2011 at 07:07

[QUOTE=MomirBiggsSimicFat][QUOTE=Try4se]I would like it if the vault checks weather or not the deck is legal, before posting, and won't let you post if it isn't.[/QUOTE]This sounds like ban to me if not sorry my mistake I apologize.[/QUOTE]

Try4se: I like the idea of [QUOTE]Your deck is legal in the following formats:[/QUOTE]However, as a general rule of thumb, you should NEVER make your end-user
(the guy trying to post the deck: 40xLightning Bolt 20xMountain)
feel like an idiot (ie: saying deck can't be posted).

Simic: I think you're over reacting.

Errata: A legality checker would be very nice, but no more than "this deck is legal in the following sanctioned formats:"

Webmaster logistics: You're already polling the prices of the cards in each deck. How hard would it be to also check the legality of those cards?

For each card: create an int in the data structure

set the value of the first 1/0 in the integer to legal in Standard: true/false

for example, Jace, the Mind Sculptor would have a legality # that looks something like

60 = 0111100

where the bits are (from left to right) - order stolen from magiccards.info

Modern, Commander, Classic, Vintage, Legacy, Extended, Standard
0 , 1 , 1 , 1 , 1 , 0 , 0
0 + 32 + 16 + 8 + 4 + 0 + 0 = 60

From there it should be simple to check the legality of a given deck
Posted 01 October 2011 at 00:55

Thanks for the suggestion silvertabby, but as said we do already store a simple dataset of legality, check out the cards on tcgvault for example. Not sure we cover all the above listed types tho!

We are going to work on changing the layout on the viewdeck and viewcard pages as there's a lot of wasted space, hance why we haven't added it in yet !

Ian
Posted 01 October 2011 at 05:41

Instead of banning and such maybe just a simple flag saying modern, standard, legacy etc based on the cards in the deck.

It will get too hard looking at numbers of cards (ie relentless rats)

Thorne
Posted 08 February 2012 at 03:41

[QUOTE=thorne44]Instead of banning and such maybe just a simple flag saying modern, standard, legacy etc based on the cards in the deck.

It will get too hard looking at numbers of cards (ie relentless rats)

Thorne[/QUOTE]
Not really. If you use a card ID number, you could flag basic lands, basic snow lands, AND relentless rats with a code for >4 okay. The database could be set up to read like this.

18-99-136 : Relentless rats(Not intended to be factual numbers)

The first 2 would be a set number, with specific sets being lumped into a block. (17-18-19) or a group type for modern(>=17) the second would be a code for the maximum allowed in a tournament legal deck(00=none, 01=one, 04=four, 99=No limit), and the last 3 numbers would point to a specific card in the set.

Rebuilding a database this way would be a lot of work, but I'm sure it wouldn't be impossible. It might be easier to drop the second set, and just make a Banned/Restricted list using the rest, with allowable limits on the B/R list(It would instead read 18-136 for the card).

It's not impossible, but because the database isn't always the same, figuring out the easiest way to easily manipulate a database is based on how it runs.
Posted 01 August 2012 at 21:43