Discussion Forum

Losing hope in mtg...

I've experienced the fact that if you don't follow the meta, you probably shouldn't play. But I'm starting to lose hope as now, I'm starting to be told I flat out suck at mtg. Maybe I should quit since being original in mtg is not really possible anymore and being regarded as a bad player only makes it worse...

Sorry you had to see this but this is how I feel right now.
Posted 10 November 2011 at 16:19

I'm a bit the same way in that i find all the competitive formats to be extremely boring and lacking in originality.

Standard/FNM is not the be all and end all of Magic, just stick to Casual.
Posted 10 November 2011 at 16:58

The question is do you have fun playing MtG? If so, why quit? Just stop playing the formats that are boring/unoriginal or wherever you are being told you suck.
Posted 10 November 2011 at 17:03

[QUOTE=Androstosity]The question is do you have fun playing MtG? If so, why quit? Just stop playing the formats that are boring/unoriginal or wherever you are being told you suck.[/QUOTE]

Thing is, I been told this is casual play too. And where I live, I have almost nowhere to go for mtg so...
Posted 10 November 2011 at 18:34

If you enjoy it doesn't matter if you win or lose. I played Yugioh for like 5 yrs I went to like 30 tournaments I never even placeed above top 15. I still enjoyed playing. Originality is almost impossible in a game as old as MTG I know I copied someone somewhere. Heck build a deck to be completely "cheap". I mean old burn, new vampires, or BDOD (black deck o' death). It's dirty, but maybe you'll have more fun with a couple more wins. I run a mill deck that only wins every now & then but I like it so I run it.

Have fun is the only rule that really matters. Find a deck you like the format doesn't matter. :D;)
Posted 11 November 2011 at 01:50

[QUOTE=MomirBiggsSimicFat]If you enjoy it doesn't matter if you win or lose. I played Yugioh for like 5 yrs I went to like 30 tournaments I never even placeed above top 15. I still enjoyed playing. Originality is almost impossible in a game as old as MTG I know I copied someone somewhere. Heck build a deck to be completely "cheap". I mean old burn, new vampires, or BDOD (black deck o' death). It's dirty, but maybe you'll have more fun with a couple more wins. I run a mill deck that only wins every now & then but I like it so I run it.

Have fun is the only rule that really matters. Find a deck you like the format doesn't matter. :D;)[/QUOTE]

When you are considered not tourny worthy, that's one thing. When you start being called a bad player in general though, it just doesn't feel fun anymore.
Like I said in an earlier post, this has happened in casual too.
Posted 11 November 2011 at 13:11

There is no shame in admitting you are bad at something, but it seems the people you play with are jerks if they keep pointing it out to you maliciously.

If you are having trouble coming up with your own tournament worthy decks, though, you may want to take a page out of the meta like they suggest.

Copying other decks just for the sake of winning is not a very noble idea, but if you play for a while with cards that work you may learn a thing or two about why they are good.

It also seems wrong to blame the game entirely when it's only really a few bad apples who play it that are giving you a hard time. It's unfortunate that your only outlet for Magic: The Gathering has these kinds of people, but there are always alternatives.
Posted 11 November 2011 at 16:51

Two thoughts. Grab a cheap deck from the vault and run it and get good with it. Something stupid and straightforward. Hard to be called bad when all you have to do is cast creatures and attack with them relentlessly.

Also, in order to get away from those that hound you for playing 'bad', have you tried online?

There's gotta be something to keep you going. Keep trudging along and you'll find something you like.
Posted 11 November 2011 at 17:53

[QUOTE=Androstosity]Two thoughts. Grab a cheap deck from the vault and run it and get good with it. Something stupid and straightforward. Hard to be called bad when all you have to do is cast creatures and attack with them relentlessly.

Also, in order to get away from those that hound you for playing 'bad', have you tried online?

There's gotta be something to keep you going. Keep trudging along and you'll find something you like.[/QUOTE]

Something I actually forgot to mention in this thread, online is where the problems all started. It only spread from there. Without the main RL outlet, I can only really do cockeritace(something like that). But that's where the problems started.

[quote]If you are having trouble coming up with your own tournament worthy decks, though, you may want to take a page out of the meta like they suggest[/quote]

Too bad as mtg time goes on, it gets harder and harder to really deviate from the meta or counter-meta due to power creep. Scars block came out with REALLY stupid things in it though(Sword of feast and famine, dismember, and inkmoth for example.
Posted 11 November 2011 at 20:25

Scars actually was an underpowered block in comparison to Zendikar - Some of the things like Emrakul, Goblin Guide, Bushwhacker, Lightning Bolt, Nighthawk
seriously powerful cards with hardly any cons to playing them.

The power creep is there, but you can keep up with it, even avoiding spending a ton of money, look at WOTC's building on a budget articles, the man posting on there usually has some super cheap and efficient ideas for decks to run is my idea for ya. When I first started getting into the competitive scene (after playing casual for 5 years) I went there and it got my foot in the door, and I had a blast killing people with some of the unorthidox ideas I found there

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=249835
Check out this deck
For example, I went 4th at our local Gameday here with this deck and it was something that snuck out from the woodwork some of the better players told me - threw them completely off and I had a blast

Furthermore, the people calling you a bad player are bad players themselves, plain and simple, I meet plenty of new players down at our local FNM that aren't pro's - Me and my more experienced buddies usually go out of our way to help them learn something by the end of the night and to help them. Hell some of us even go to the extent of taking the uncommon and common stack rewards to help those players out with their lack of cards. We all understand what it's like to not have access to the most godly cards in the book. But most of us know there's ways around using these things. Point is, find a new place to play I'd suggest an FNM authorized hub where you can meet and greet some other players, most aren't completely closed minded, I've never had a person look through my deck and go, "Only thing in here worth a shit is the land man, you suck..." lol - And if they did I wouldn't be going back to say the least; with MTGO and any online games you gotta understand these are typically 13 year olds to middle aged adults in a basement (the typical Cliche') with an ego bigger than any because they "PWND" you.. Most the reason they play online is because they know they would be trashed in a hobby shop people wouldn't tolerate it. Take it with a grain of salt
Posted 14 November 2011 at 11:22

The perception of how good one person is at something is totally relevant to how good the people around him are at the same thing. Take me for instance, I'm better then some but also worse then a lot of other players I know at playing mtg. But I'm not at the same level I was 5 years ago, a year ago, even maybe a week ago. I learn, every game I play is a lesson and I get better at it and so do the other players I know. That and I have my good days and my bad days, sometimes my mind is clear and focussed and I play great, at other times when I'm tired I make one mistake after another. You can't label someone as being good or bad because it's not black and white like that, nothing is.

You need motives to play this game. Being brilliant at it isn't the best motive, it can win you a bunch of prices at tournaments but nobody gets rich by playing magic. You need other motives.
Personally I love the game, it's the only game I've been playing for years that just doesn't get boring, ever, it's a constant challenge. That and I've come to know a lot of good friends by playing magic. It's become a huge part of my life and it's more then a game.

There's also a lot of types of magic you can play. Multiplayer Commander is a totally different game from for instance 1vs1 tournament play. Then there is Cube draft, again a world of fun to explore. Always playing the same type of games isn't fun.

You can play magic at all kinds of levels, you need to find a group that makes you feel good. And that seems to be your problem. Don't play with people that treat you like crap, it's a game to be played with friends, not assholes.

As for being original, it's overrated. The internet gave birth to what people call netdecks, but what is a netdeck? It's just a deck that's been tested and proved to be good. It doesn't come with any guarantees, but it's a great place to start. I hate the narrowmindedness of people that shout netdeck, if people didn't learn from others we would still live in caves. How do you think science evolves? People that don't want to learn from others are stupid.
Take whatever you need from others and make it your own, learn to play with equal weapons and if you fall get up and try again.
Posted 14 November 2011 at 13:24

Im with everyone else, find someone else to play with. I took a long break from mtg due to my job and lack of people to play with, but as i rejoined the mtg community a year or so ago, i realized i had forgotten the game almost all together. Just because i needed to relearn old rules and learn new ones, didn't mean i was a bad player. There is much more to this game, as seth mentioned, than good and bad. When the right people are around you, though they may laugh when you think a llanowar elf puts another forest on the battlefield from your library ( i did that my first game of mtg after my break), they will help you get better without making you feel bad. Hang in there and ignore the assholes.

Also, people may say "netdeck" or "unoriginal", but if your like me and living in B.F., Arkansas, i have to drive an hour to the nearest mtg player other than my two friends that live here. My advice on decks and what's hot in mtg has to come from the net. And how original can you be when a small number of cards is used by alot of people.
Posted 15 November 2011 at 17:02

Seth your comments are rather hard to add onto or top haha, nicely put, honesty originality isnt too hard to do in magic, just because a deck is similar to yours and will work doesnt mean you copied it, its like telling all burn decks that if you have lightning bolt in it and a fireball that you copied their deck. If you have 1 card different in your deck then its original, or if you even play it differently and the cards are the same. Hope you keep playing man, just because your deck cant win a tournament doesnt mean its not good. I have decks that i know wouldnt win most tournaments but yet a single counterspell in it disassembled a tournament winning dragonstorm deck.
Posted 17 November 2011 at 08:52

I agree with what everyone here has been saying. You just need to find some better people to play with. If your having trouble finding people to play with try and egg on some friends or family members to get started. You may even be surprised to find out how many random people actually play or used to play MTG and would love to get a game together. When I started playing again recently i was amazed to find out how many people I hung out with on a regular basis actually played magic at some point and still had cards kicking around. I just recently found out that several of the people at my job actually play.

And try some different formats. I got completely burnt out on Standard or even anything resembling it. I dont have the money to stay current or run 4 of all the cards I want in a deck and I kind of stink at drafting (hmmm, somehow I wound up with five colors in my hand and no congruency at all .... the pictures sure are pretty though) so I stopped playing for a while. Then I discovered EDH, which was great because of the 1 copy of each card rule, so there was no stacking 4 Tezzerets or whatever, plus I get to use a bunch of my old cards that werent useful in standard, and BAM! MTG is fun again. Cube and Type 4 are also awesome for casual play.

So dont give up hope if you enjoy the game! And the next time someone says you suck, tell them that they suck. At life.
Posted 17 November 2011 at 19:10

yeah just stick to casual
Posted 03 December 2011 at 19:57

Don't give up hope, competetive formats are cruel. Honestly, the best way to play is casual, it is so much fun. I have a play group of 12 great guys and we all play EDH now. We have had enough of standard and legacy because it is too competetive and it is so expensive. With EDH, you can have more fun than you ever did with magic!
Posted 13 December 2011 at 20:44

I'm pretty surprised some revived this, lol.

Anyways, I got something to show you guys, just let me make another topic for it.

EDIT: Here it is:

http://forums.mtgvault.com/showthread.php?p=30729#post30729
Posted 13 December 2011 at 21:24