Discussion Forum

TCG Vault Suggestion

Been looking for the best place to post this suggestion, and I figure this works. I go back and forth between tcgvault and gatherer. One of the major drawbacks (imo) of gatherer is that it allows you to search by card color, but not by color identity (as explained in Commander rules). An engine that allowed to search by color identity could help a lot in deckbuilding, especially when it comes to lands and other areas. Do you guys think this is something that would be possible?
Posted 10 November 2011 at 21:18

Hey, I've not yet played Commander! :O Could you explain what color identity is for me or link me to a decent article that explains it? :)
Posted 14 November 2011 at 21:29

Color identity is not only the color of the card, but the symbols in the card. In EDH (Commander), the Commander's color identity controls the color identity of the entire deck.

For example, Aerie Mystics has a color identity of WUG, even though it's a white card. You cannot use this card in a EDH deck with a white-only Commander, like Akroma, Angel of Wrath. You can use the Mystics in a Rafiq of the Many deck. You can also use Cankerous Thirst or Vault Skirge (or any combination of BG) in a Rhys the Exiled deck, but not Savage Gorilla (because of the blue cost).

This also applies to land and colorless Commander decks. The Rhys the Exiled deck can use Forest, Gemstone Caverns, Bayou, Twilight Mire, and even Jund Panorama (colorless; land words don't count towards CI), but not Crystal Quarry. A colorless Commander, like Karn, Silver Golem, must have completely colorless lands and cards, including a complete lack of basic land types (since they have a CI of a color). A Karn deck cannot have Memnarch in it, but the opposite is valid (having Karn in a Memnarch deck).

Also, EDH is f'ing awesome! You should really try it. It's what MTG should be: long games, creativity in deck building, and fun multiplayer experiences.
Posted 18 November 2011 at 05:04

Righto, I understand the concept of the term now, thanks for that SineSwiper. :)

As for adding a color identity search, we don't have the mana symbols within card text stored separately. I'd have to pull these out, combine them with any mana symbols in the cards cost and put this combination in a new "ColorIdentity" column. I can then extend the color search to allow you to switch it to use ColorIdentity rather than Color/Cost. It's not impossible and I like the idea, I'll see what I can do when I get a bit of free time!

Thanks for the suggestion! :)
Posted 19 November 2011 at 10:15