Discussion Forum

Easy Decks?

I have recently convinced seven of my friends to let me teach them how to play Magic. All of my decks are ridiculously complex, so I need ideas for easy decks to make for them to learn with. Anyone?
Posted 06 December 2011 at 19:26

burn, white weenie, green aggro, stompy. those are pretty much the most basic/simple deck archetypes.
Posted 06 December 2011 at 20:08

Yeah let them play something like red sligh, I think it teaches a lot about the game without being very complex. Efficient drops at every turn of the early game and burn after the first few turns. The difference between using your burn as control to burn away creatures (and risking the chance of running out of gas) or as clock burn to the face.

Show them the differences in the color pie. Make a typical green stompy with wild growth effects so they have some form of surprise effects. A mono black control deck with tons of removal. etc...

Then each person picks a deck and you play 1 vs 1, have them switch decks now and again. They'll soon discover the type of game they like, control vs aggro.

Good example decks are the Deul decks:
- Deul Decks: Garruck Vs. Liliana
- Duel Decks: Jace Vs Chandra
- Duel Decks: Elspeth vs. Tezzeret
Posted 07 December 2011 at 07:56

i found alot of the tribal decks were pretty straight foward (unless you wanted to still play standard) i taught most of my buddies having them use my elf deck, because its not overly complex at all but it still gave them the feeling that they can win a game, or soldiers....just so they can get the handle on something buffing something else and how that works
Posted 01 January 2012 at 01:17

Well isn't that why intro packs were made?
Posted 03 January 2012 at 22:34