Discussion Forum

Mono, dual or more?

So whats everyones favourite deck type? Are you a single colour player or do you prefer the added risk of using more than one? Why?

Iv been asking myself this question and its actually quite difficult. All the colour have there own strengths and weaknesses. Is there certain cards that you would never be without?
Posted 01 January 2012 at 21:00

Two colors is without question my preferred deck scheme. With two colors, the risk of not having mana of the right color available is minimal, especially with dual lands in your deck that can tap for whichever color you need. The main reason I like dual colors is because of all the nice synergy you can get. When I play with a single color, I oft find myself wishing that I had a card in my hand from another color. If nothing else, a secondary color can provide support to control the battlefield, destroy your opponents permanents, or give you some nice muscle. All of which come in handy when you need to buy your main strategy time to work.
Posted 01 January 2012 at 22:24

Buona sera, ritengo che un bel deck bi-colore sia l'ideale... Si riesce ad ottenere il massimo dalle carte che si hanno in mano, senza tenere presente, inoltre che l'universo di magic è predisposto per l'abbinamento di due colori...
Se devo, però, essere sincero, il fascino di un mazzo penta-colore è indescrivibile... Peccato che poi non ci sia terra dual che tenga, mancherà sempre il colore di cui abbiamo bisogno... Però sognare non costa nulla:):):):)

Ciao a tutti..
Posted 01 January 2012 at 22:55

overal i prefer 2 but sometimes do just 1 for instance my mono color deck is sodliers if i added another color chances are im not gonna get much synergy since its a very straightforward deck. on the other hand i run a gravepact deck wich is roughly 50/50 black green one of the most important cards is awakening zone as it gives me a sacrifice whenever i want it wich is great for a pact deck but it also helps ramp into more powerful cards also a fun little b/g combo i like is bloodthrone vampire and mitotic slime makes a 15/15 til end of turn i won a few games like that
Posted 02 January 2012 at 14:18

a mono colored deck is always weaker then a multicolored deck, these days with the powerlevel as high as it is it's almost impossible to play mono colored decks if you want to play somewhat competitive. My decks are usually 3 colors. When playing casual decks where there is less land hate I play 3 to 5 colored decks. When playing tournaments 3 is a maximum and blue is mandatory.
Posted 02 January 2012 at 15:36

I definitely like two colored decks more than anything. With two colors, you get more versatility than with only one color, but less of having no mana of one type like with three colors. It's simple really.
Posted 03 January 2012 at 22:22

I play very casual, and most of my decks are mono or dual colored. We're mostly all college or grad students, and relatively poor. Dual lands can get expensive, especially when you start talking playsets of multiple different ones. It really depends on what your meta is like. If you're playing against people running tournament decks, a mono-colored deck might have more trouble holding it's own. If your group doesn't go for top-tier decks, and you want to run a mono-color, I say go for it.
Posted 01 March 2012 at 19:01

I'm currently running a Mono-green "Monster" Deck, R/G Wolves, And UBW Spirits/control. I think that should answer your question!

I want to get more into the tri-colored territory but, every color has its own strengths, your deckbuilding style really dictates what colors a deck ends up in.
Posted 08 March 2012 at 23:24

So far I prefer duel colored
Most of the time Including green as one of the two

Still I'm not to experienced in the game and mostly play what i like
Posted 12 March 2012 at 15:43

ive played mono colors, dual, and tri, and i always come back to 2 colors. 3 colors is just a little too much for me. mono color decks get boring and if your opponent plays something to nullify the color your playing, your screwed. dual color decks is that perfect middle ground. i never get mana screwed, always get what i need, and i have all the versatility and options at hand.
Posted 23 June 2013 at 02:02