Discussion Forum

Enchantment Deck help

Hello, there. I've got an enchantment-based deck that I've been kicking around for a few years, and, as I haven't been keeping very up-to-date on MtG, I'm not really certain what good enchantments are out there nowadays. In any case, here's a listing of what I have in this deck.
http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=299208

I suppose my question is, what can I do to make it better? The deck as it stands is fairly strong. However, I want to make it better.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Updated deck:

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=302095
Posted 20 February 2012 at 23:11

look up a deck called enchantress it sounds right up your ally and is actually putting up numbers in tournaments.
Posted 21 February 2012 at 14:07

well at this point you need to apply the two basic guidelines to deck building:

-stick as closely as possible to the 60 card minimum.
-generally speaking, if a card is good enough to include once, it's probably good enough to include 3-4 times.

a 100+ card deck made of mostly singles will be horribly ineffective and totally inconsistent.

so step one is cutting at least 40cards.
step two: pick the 12-15 cards that really make your deck shine and focus on those cards.
step three: even in an aura-based deck, you want to have more creatures than you have auras. there's no set ratio but you have to keep in mind that loading a single creatures with several auras usually results in massive card disadvantage.

as for good G/W enchantments you might be missing out on:
Oblivion Ring
Aura of Silence
Ghostly Prison
Flickering Ward
Posted 21 February 2012 at 14:09

Ah, thank you both. Though, I'm not sure which Enchantress deck I'm looking at here. If you could provide a link, that would be excellent.

As for the size of it, it wasn't that big to begin with. I had it at around 80, but it swelled over time. Are there any cards that you would suggest removing? Similarly, are there any that have better versions (similar effect, but better in some way)?
Posted 21 February 2012 at 21:42

^I agree entirely with Seras^

in terms of creatures:

Definitely! add 2 more Kor Spiritdancers (cards like this are your bread and butter for this deck)

In general, I would suggest you try to drop cards which do not create increased (synergetic) benefit from enchantments and auras.

Get rid of:
Elvish Visionary
Prized Unicorn
Pelakka Wurm
Sporecap Spider

Suture Priest is great if you're bringing more creatures into play, but doesn't seem like a worthwhile card in a deck with a strong focus on auras and enchantments. replace with essence warden if you feel like you need some life gain.

Melira, Sylvok Outcast is a great defense against an infect deck but would be better in your sideboard, not part of your core deck.

Look up Faith Healer, really cheap and great for sacrificing enchantments (if you need to) also handy for emergency life-gain.

hope that helps!
Posted 10 April 2012 at 18:41

[QUOTE=Seras]a 100+ card deck made of mostly singles will be horribly ineffective and totally inconsistent. [/QUOTE]

So basically everyone who plays Highlander or simular singleton formats plays with horribly innefective and toatlly inconsistent decks? awesome...
Posted 11 April 2012 at 07:56

since that's not the context here, what's your point? bring a 100 card singleton deck to play against well-tuned 60 card decks and let me know how that goes.

by definition, singleton is less consistent than non-singleton. in fact, isn't that one of the specific reasons ppl play those formats to being with? so that the games are more varied and last longer?
Posted 11 April 2012 at 11:49

[QUOTE=Seras]since that's not the context here, what's your point? bring a 100 card singleton deck to play against well-tuned 60 card decks and let me know how that goes.

by definition, singleton is less consistent than non-singleton. in fact, isn't that one of the specific reasons ppl play those formats to being with? so that the games are more varied and last longer?[/QUOTE]

My point is that you said any 100+ card singleton deck is horribly ineffective and totally inconsistent which they are not, not even close, when build well.
You seem to be used to playing decks with a very liniar strategy, they do 1 thing and do it very well. You call that efficient and optimal and while that is true it doesn't guarantee succes.
The very nature of liniar decks is that their strength is also their biggest weakness. They can win certain matchups and are dead to others. Break their win condition and you break the deck.

As for singleton formats we do indeed play them because they are more varied making games far more interesting then playing old school 60 card liniar decks. But playing a 60 card singleton decks doesn't make a game last longer, they are not by definition slower or less competitive then non singleton decks. Commander/EDH games last longer because life totals start at 40 life which requires a different type of build. It's far more difficult to burn through 40 life then in is to burn through 20 life so mono red burn in EDH just isn't that good a strategy.
On top of that it's a format that's often played in multiplayer games and these are by nature also slower then 1vs1 games.

I often use my EDH decks in normal multiplayer games where everyone plays whatever they want (non singleton and no commanders). It works really well because my EDH decks are very flexible and can handle many situations.
Posted 11 April 2012 at 13:36

I get everything that you are saying but it seems completely outside the context of my initial statement.

my advice was the same thing you read in every single article ever written about deck building 101.

I'm sorry if I offended your deck/play style of choice....but i wasn't talking about edh or multiplayer or any format where the other ppl are also playing a deck with a similar composition. I don't see why you need to derail this thread with all this.
Posted 11 April 2012 at 14:48

Hello there. It's been a while, but I finally have an update. The deck has been working very well for quite a while now that I've cut it down to a more effective size. My new policy is no decks over 75. Here's the updated version:

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=302095

Further advice would be greatly appreciated.
Posted 21 June 2012 at 00:51

I took a look at your deck and it reminded me of a deck I played against this weekend that was actually white/green enchantment deck. Some enchantments that were working well in it are:

1) Oblivion ring
2) Auracrag (i believe its the name of the creature but is for three mana, 2colorless 1 white, its a 1/2 creature but it gets +2/+2 for each enchantment sacrificed that turn)
3) I don't know what the name of the card was but it did the following: (1 green mana casting cost gave enchanted creature +2/+0 and trample and if the enchantment went to your graveyard it was returned to your hand instead.

With that being said, I didn't think this type of deck was as effective as some of the better teir I decks at the tourney such as reanimator, show and tell, and high tide. When I side boarded in tranquility (and i'm sure there are spells even better than this that people play now) that absolutely annihilated this type of deck. Matter of fact I played an elf deck which was probably a teir 2/3 deck at the tourney I was just in, and it made short work of this type of deck at 2 and 1 (I would of won in two rounds, however I didn't realize he was playing an enchantment deck till round two, as he told me he was playing reanimator!)

Hope this helped!
Posted 25 June 2012 at 14:18