Discussion Forum

Huntmaster and Immerwolf.

This post will explain (hopefully) why Huntmaster of the Fells is still an awesome card when you are using Immerwolf.

The main reason people are misguided into thinking that huntmaster is not worth using with immerwolf is that he is better without, you say “huntmaster is weakened by immerwolf so you shouldn’t put them in the same deck as each other”…. I have heard this so many times. Yes, he isn’t as strong, but you are failing to realise that he is still the best option, he is still stronger then the one you are putting in instead.

I’m going to use this example werewolf deck so you know what sort of deck I'm talking about;
4 waif
4 captive
4 mayor
3 Shepard
3 full moon’s rise
4 moon mist
4 immerwolf
3 outlaw
2 volley
2 gang
3 huntmaster
24 land
Even using a deck that’s very immerwolf focused such as this one huntmaster has his place. I would go into detail with the deck and tweak it a little, but this article is about huntmaster. So ill explain the basic mechanics, which are get lotsa wolves, buff with outlaw, mayor, gang, full moon’s rise, and immer, flip-swing them with moon mist.

Reason #1 Statistics

You can’t beat good stats, and, quite simply, if you look at the statistics Huntmaster is better then the other 4-mana werewolves, for example, Mondronen Shaman.
If we have a look at the day side of each we find that Huntmaster is way better

Day Side:

Huntmaster:
P/T:...........2/2
Abilities:.....2 Life
.................2/2 Wolf

Shaman:
P/T:...........3/2
Abilities:.....NA

It's very obvious here that Huntmaster is better then Shaman on the day side and even more so because of mayor and immerwolf, as having two 3/3s is better then one 5/5 Huntmaster’s day-power is especially notable because although most people look at the flip side of the werewolf to see if they want it, what you are forgetting is that You Will Spend More Time As A Human! So anyway, lets have a look at the other side and see if shaman can redeem itself.

Night Side:

Huntmaster:
P/T:...........4/4
Abilities:.....2 Creature damage
.................2 Player damage

Shaman:
P/T:...........5/5
Abilities:.....2 Player damage, triggered by opponent spell cast.

Maybe an average at a first glance but even here huntmaster has a 2 great advantages, these being that 1), you keep the wolf and the life, and 2), he deals the 4 damage immediately, the fact that the damage is done immediately means not only that the damage is taken sooner, but also the shaman probably wont get a chance to deal that much damage at all. So huntmaster is over-all better on the night side as well, with a grand total of win for huntmaster.:)

If you just look at the statistics you can check it with other 4-mana examples such as instigator gang or tormented pariah, you will come up with similar answers (I only chose shaman cause they are similar cards).

(Note that I didn’t include the flipping forwards and backwards other than the mandatory switch to wolf, I just said as “when its on this side it does this” rather then “if you keep flipping it back, it does this” so if you add this small possibility of not having immerwolf in it gives him an even greater advantage.)

Reason #2 Playability

Huntmaster very versatile, he helps prolong the time where you have to play full moon’s rise, generates creatures that can be buffed with mayor, kills the opponent’s minor blockers at the crucial moment (when you flip all of your creatures to make the final swing) and burns the opponent to help you along. On top of all this he causes the opponent to hesitate before flipping your werewolves back and if he dies you get to keep the wolf (or wolves) he generated. Huntmaster helps with the whole Immerwolf, outlaw, mayor idea by generating a few wolves that soon become 4/4 blocked by 2 creatures.
And finally the list of flip-kills he can do is massive, including; phyrexian crusader, diregraf and stromkirk Captains, immerwolf, cemetery reaper, grand abolisher and elite inquisitor.

(The “blocked by 2 creatures” part is really helpful to this as it means that not only is there lots of large creatures but now the opponent has to dual block and take more damage as well as that he will be blocking with little creatures that shouldn’t be in the battle at all such as signal pest.)

Reason #3 Flip

You wont get immerwolf every game, so there will be a not-inconsiderable number of games in which you have huntmaster but not Immerwolf. This means that you can now use huntmaster as a back-up immerwolf! Think about it, if you flip to night side you want immerwolf, but you don’t have him, so instead you have a card that may not be a “you cant flip my creatures”, but at least he’s a “is it really worth it?”. He will make the opponent stop and think about flipping you back, if they know that you might have moon mist anyway then they may decide it’s not worth it.

so please, if someone is using monodron shaman or some other 4-mana werewolf, refer them to this thread cause its probably not the best card they could use.

I hope you found this helpful, and any feedback is much appreciated.

PS: can anyone tell me how to add pictures?
Posted 14 March 2012 at 22:21

why no-one speak to me?
Posted 26 March 2012 at 02:34

[QUOTE=FFS L]PS: can anyone tell me how to add pictures?[/QUOTE]

If you click 'Post Thread' you have a bunch of icons above the input area right? Try using them.

[QUOTE]why no-one speak to me?[/QUOTE]

Probably because most people only visit these forums to ask a question, then if they return they only return to see if their question was answered. Then if their question wasn't answered they get upset and leave.
What they fail to understand is that they are the very reason their posts don't get any replies. If 100% of the visitors only visit their own posts you get 0 replies, it's pretty simple math really.
I've been here for a few years now and I guess about 2% of the visitors here make an effort to participate. Most of those 2% have eventually given up and left.
Posted 26 March 2012 at 13:00

thanx seth, i thought i wouldn't get much, but i put a fair bit of time into that, and to get nothing was pretty demoralizing, i found the pic icon on the bar, but it doesn't work. could you explain it to me step by step?
What do you think of the post, can you give me any feedback?
Posted 26 March 2012 at 21:39

The card image icons work pretty well, they provide both a link to the card + an image popup. I've seen people insert images in their posts as well so the IMG tags should work as well (little yellow icon with a pic of mountains).

As for the article I'm not much of a standard player and I know the cards you refer to only vaguely from the last prerelease I attended.
I'm a tournament legacy player and EDH (commander) player, so if you ever post an article about that you can be sure I'll be reading and replying to it.

Ask one of the admins (Gary or Ian) to make you an article writer and have your article moved to the MTG Vault Articles section. It will draw more attention up there but like I said, give it some time. While the vault gets a lot of traffic the forum does not.
Posted 27 March 2012 at 06:58

sad to say i'm mostly part of the 98%
Only started playing the game about 1½ month ago.

I got a few decks in mind I hope to make, but my knowledge is very limited to anything but suggestions for decks that look a bit like one of the 3.

It's demotivating to post threads and hardly get any replies and considering a reply can be an archivement in itself...

Also only played casual legacy and draft once
Posted 27 March 2012 at 20:52

As soon as you said where you were going with it, I was onboard and in agreement. Huntmaster + immerwolf gives you each effect once per huntmaster, which is already plenty of awesome ^_^

I run one huntmaster and 4 immerwolf in my R/G wolves (DKA http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=319502 AVR http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=328243)

It's a devastating combo.

Since I started this post I decided to go back and read yours (i skipped most of it at the beginning due to my agreement with you're main point). Very insightful! You make a lot of good arguments that I had totally not even thought about! Particularly, the possibility of not drawing immerwolf never crossed my mind lol!
Posted 03 May 2012 at 22:14

[QUOTE]Particularly, the possibility of not drawing immerwolf never crossed my mind lol! [/QUOTE]yes its one of those things, people always either expect the best or worst case scenario when building a deck. when someone builds a combo deck they expect to get their combo out much more then the deck actually does. its one of the main reasons i like B/W tokens, because though not the most powerful deck type, it never relies on anything remotely unlikely, half of the deck does one thing (buff) and the other half does the other (generate) so you can be sure of getting a reasonable combination of those combo parts. and that is the one thing that people forget time and time again when building a deck.

Consistency.
Posted 06 May 2012 at 00:02