Discussion Forum

Infinite Squirrels: opinions, help?

V1: OLD http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=312679 /OLD
V2: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=314728

Wondering if I can get some opinions.

This is a somewhat awkward (multi multi card) combo to pull off, but if you do, you are guaranteed to win against any number of opponents. You can gain infinite life and/or infinite mana, but that is unneccessary. All you really need are infinite creatures that are artifacts + aura shards, and you can remove everything else from the board (because with mycosynth lattice, everything else will be artifacts).

Any faster methods of getting the cards I need, or better defenses while setting up, would be welcomed.
Posted 24 March 2012 at 18:48

You could use Intruder Alarm, Squirrel Nest, and Awakener Druid. Your land is both "Awakened" and "Nested", so when you tap it to produce a creature, it, as a creature itself, will untap again, thusly allowing you to repeat this cycle as much as you want. (Of course, there are smaller Intruder Alarm combos out there...). One thing you do have to consider, Intruder Alarm is a double edged sword. You may end up helping your opponents out as well. Also, I felt I should point this out, even if you get your combo off, you are not GUARANTEED to defeat any number of opponents. There are a number of things opponents can do to keep themselves from dying due to massive amounts of damage.
Posted 25 March 2012 at 02:05

My notion was that (aura shards) lets you destroy an artifact any time a creature comes into play. You are making an infinite number of creatures, and because of (mycosynth lattice), ALL other permanents are artifacts. Therefore, you can destroy ALL other permanents. Opponents will have no land, no creatures, artifacts, enchantments.
Their only chances would be indestructible, shroud, or playing something with one land on their turn before I can attack. I'd count that slim chance. 100,000 squirrels attack each opponent on my next turn.

Also, (Intruder Alarm) might prove very useful to reach infinite faster than (clock of omens/mycosynth/parallel lives). It would, in fact, prevent the need then for (parallel lives) in the deck at all. Also, thinking of something else I read earlier today, how about (dryad arbor)? It is a living land to begin with. That would be faster than having to add (forest)s into my mix for the (awakener druid), which I was trying to avoid, instead leaving artifact lands for clock of omens.

I will research if there are more living lands... If so may replace all of the artifact lands with them, and then the clock of omens and parallel lives with intruder alarm and... something else.
((result: alas, that is the only 'land creature' type card))
Posted 25 March 2012 at 02:52

[QUOTE=Silverdark]
Their only chances would be indestructible, shroud, or playing something with one land on their turn before I can attack. I'd count that slim chance. 100,000 squirrels attack each opponent on my next turn.
[/QUOTE]

What about naturalize? That is the other problem I see with such a long combo. It probably won't get off until fairly late in the game, and if an opponent sees what you're doing, a destroy artifact/destroy enchantment spell could undo the whole thing. (Plus, there are cards like trickbind which foil activated abilities). In trying to get this combo going faster, you can still use the Dryad Arbors instead of the Druids. Just throw in a set of green fetchlands. As a "forest dryad" you can fetch it out with anything that lets you fetch out forests. (As long as it doesn't stipulate basic forests). If you go with Intruder Alarm, you can use cards like Idyllic Tutor and Enlightened Tutor to pull them out of your deck (As well as your Squirrel Nests and Aura Shards), similar to the way you currently pull out your artifacts.
Posted 25 March 2012 at 06:55

Both (Idyllic Tutor) and (Enlightened Tutor) sound like good options, though Enlightened more so because it has additional artifact grab, and then being less expensive to cast.

Another I have considered that would also take care of the (Naturalize) worry is (Sterling Grove): for {w}{g} it is an enchantment that gives all other enchantments shroud. It also has {1},sac: search lib for an enchantment and top deck it.

Reading around: (Soul Foundry) + (Dryad Arbor)= free new one every turn. (Followed Footsteps) would do the same...
EDIT: Had thought about parallel lives, but nevermind that. One land per turn. :\\\\

Also: apparently it does count as a 'basic land type (forest)' for searching purposes.
(quote: "The fact that it's green means it counts toward cards like sapseep forest, also a forest, and therefore searchable by fetches or cards like nature's lore or yavimaya dryad or wood elves.")

I've opted for (Greenseeker) for the above job, as I'm sure to draw many duplicate artifact/enchants I won't need. In the mean its a 1/1 for {g} blocker if it has already served its purpose (whereas searching instants would be total crap draws if the job is already done).
EDIT: Now also added (Treefolk Harbinger), whom is inexpensive, a 0/3, also searches for forests, and would pair with the Murmuring Bosk that I mention below in complaint to expensive lands ;)

Also on the notion of 'need just a bit more green', and wanting additional 'forest' type cards, opting for (Murmuring Bosk), as I don't have $20 per land to drop for (Temple Garden) or (Breeding Pool). (Enlightened Tutor) is bad enough at almost $10 each. I'm not a big spender >.<

Re-worked it here (currently done): http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=314728
Posted 25 March 2012 at 15:25

After actually playtesting with 'LackeyCCG' in solitaire mode, I've made more changes still.

I was wrong about Greenseeker. Basic search only for her. Harbinger still works though. Replaced with tinder walls to help get Mycosynth out faster.

Was drawing too many searchers. Dropped Machinate. Cut Fabricate to 2 as Enlightened does the same job. Sterling Grove was annoying with its top-decking (Harbinger does that too- conflict). Cut two sterling, replaced with 2 Idyllic. Also upped the Ashnods Altar to 3: just so darned useful, esp to get Mycosynth out.

Got infinite squirrels by turns 4/5/6. Turn 4 more often than not. Best realization was to hold onto shield spheres until I have an Arbor and Intruder Alarm out. Then I can use the Arbor to help pay to put Squirrel Nest on it, and then drop Shield Sphere: the Arbor untaps, and no waiting for next turn.
Posted 26 March 2012 at 00:16

Not sure if your are trying to build a Legal deck or just Casual, but back when Earthcraft was Legal in Legacy I use to play Earthcraft and Squirrel Nest for infinite Squirrels. Just saying.
Posted 21 April 2012 at 05:24