Discussion Forum

new member, new discard deck, any advice?

take a look at my deck here; if you have any card suggestions or general advice, let me know in the deck comments.

Thanks!
Posted 10 April 2012 at 18:02

you should use more of this card and fewer of those. you are brilliant!
Posted 11 April 2012 at 14:42

thanks for the advice Ian, you're a gem!
Posted 11 April 2012 at 18:22

bump, i say! BUMP!
Posted 13 April 2012 at 13:34

As a casual deck it seems ok, i would probably try to bring the mana curve down.

better feedback would require more info on the type of decks you usually face and what kind of games you play(duels, free for all, teams)
Posted 13 April 2012 at 15:19

Thanks for the reply!

the mana curve is effectively lower than it looks (a number of the higher cost cards are ninjutsu for less than the apparent CMC, and avatar of woe only costs 2 if there are 10 or more creatures total in all graveyards (pretty quickly achievable, especially in free for all play).

I usually play in duels or free-for-all with up to 5 opponents. My opponents have a variety of decks which they use.

My main goal with this deck was to build something COMPLETELY different than my other decks, which are often blue and/or green with counters and tokens galore.

The strategy with this deck is to sneak through defenses (with unblockable creatures and flying), ninjutsu, damage causing discard causing more damage. the midnight charm i can use to tap an opponent's defending creature allowing mine to hit the player. and eventually, bringing enemy creatures into play under my control via ink-eyes. Also, the thornbite staff is for attaching an unblockable damage device to any creature who causes X when dealing damage to a player.

I mostly like decks with synergies that don't rely on too many rare circumstances, and i especially enjoy decks with 2 or 3 mechanical pivots.

any cards that are critical for this type of deck/play?
Posted 13 April 2012 at 17:54

I have discard deck that get some really good draw from Geth's Grimoire (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=51070). It could be as good or better than Dream Salvage (or terribly worse).

Also Okiba-Gang Shinobi (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=74576).
Posted 14 April 2012 at 10:37

thanks for the reply!

I have a few geth's grimoire i was considering maybe 1 dream salvage, 1 geth's

and, although i have a couple available, i just took out 2 okiba-gang and added 2 more throat slitters. (they're cheaper to ninjutsu) but i might shimmy them around and see how the overall dynamic works...
Posted 14 April 2012 at 14:39