Discussion Forum

berserker deck help

hi, im obviously new and i made this red deck out of cards I had kinda just threw it together has no theme
http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=321684
I want to make it have a theme though I want to surround it around lovisa. I know i have a lot of random cards, I do well against my friends but when i go to the card store they dominate me because I don't have a theme. give me advice on what i should add/take out i know there's a lot :( thanks for the help though
Posted 11 April 2012 at 17:22

Thanks guys!.....
Posted 13 April 2012 at 02:03

Hi Dead Monkey,

I took a look at your deck and it was very reminiscent of when i started playing fifteen years ago. It seems like the deck into itself is a collection of red cards and really has no direction to it. I think one of the first things we need to do is determine which theme direction you want to go with your red deck. Like any color, red has its advantages and its disadvantages. Some red themes I've seen over the years are as follows:

Burn Deck - Exactly what the name says. This type of deck focuses in on direct damage spells and cards that will enhance these direct damage spells (i'll provide two links at the end, one of a deck around this them i am building and a second i saw that was all red i took some ideas from)

Goblin Deck - One of the most effective red decks i've seen in years was a goblin deck. My cousin uses a deck around this them that is red/green that i have literally seen him get infini damage goblins by turn four! Another effective goblin deck i have played is using goblins that will do damage as they go to the graveyard, and then coupling these exploding goblins with spells like goblin gernade and/or fling! Throw in a stalking vengence and you can double your suicide goblin damage!

Dragon Deck - Red has some of the most formidible dragons of any color. Once again i have seen some decks starting to build along this theme, keep in mind you may want to use some mana acceleration for a deck like this.

Im sure there are many more themes you could do with red, however this is just to get the creative juices flowing for you. Once you come up with a theme, use either a site like this to look at decks along your theme to get some more card ideas, or if your savvy with the Gatherer database you can search for similar cards that might fit your deck theme that way. I know when i build a deck now, i try to find cards that will be very versatile. For example i have blood lusts in my deck to not only give my creatures a boost for things like spark elementals or vexing devils, but furthermore i can cast them on my opponents creatures and then bolt em to take down larger creatures. Well theres my mouthful, hope that helped.

Oh almost forgot here are the links to some decks to give you some ideas....

Dark Flames - Dude's 3rd Path to Pain (R/B Direct Damage)
http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=341420

Amir's Deck (R Direct Damage)
http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=318271
Posted 25 May 2012 at 15:08